Seat belt car seat installation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got a new Nautilus and am reading the manual, as I do with every seat I get.  It's making me wonder if I have been doing the seat belt installation correctly.

1)  I was told at my local health department to use the locking clip if the seat belt didn't lock in place after being pulled all the way out and then let back in.  Mine do lock in this way.  But, the car seat manual says to use it if I have a certain kind of seat belt tongue.  Mine do not slide completely freely, but also don't look like what's pictured in the manual -- they have two slots and the belt is threaded through both of them.

2)  I thread the seat belt through the path on the car seat and buckle it.  I then pull the seat belt all the way out and let it back in so that it is locked (this step is not mentioned in the car seat manual).  I then kneel on the car seat and tighten it down, check for tightness and repeat as needed.

So, am I doing it right?  I don't need the locking clip, right?  Why can't these things be made more clear?  How do they expect parents who don't read the manual front to back AND do internet research to get their seats installed properly?  Grrr.

#2 of 11 Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM

When you pull the belt all the way out, does it make a little "click click" sound when you let it back in?  And then not pull out again?   If so, you don't need a locking clip.  Just make sure the seat moves less than 1" along the belt path (where the seatbelt goes though the carseat), and don't forget to use your top tether!  

#3 of 11 Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM

What do you drive? (year, make, model)

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#4 of 11 Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Yes, you're doing it right, and no, you don't need the locking clip.

The manual for our evenflo titan says the same thing.  We used the locking clip, but when we took the car to be inspected by certified car-seat inspectors at our local library, they said to take off the locking clip because if the lap belt is TOO tight, it can be equally dangerous. 

I've seen the kind of tongue you're talking about when installing in friends' cars (I think in dodges), and in those, the seat belt doesn't lock from the top of the shoulder strap, so it makes sense why they don't even mention checking that, if this manual were only for use in that one type of car.  Of course it isn't for use in just one type of car, so they should really make their instructions clearer!  If I were you, I'd call the customer service line, and tell them about the problem with their manual.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#5 of 11 Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, the seat belt clicks and locks in as you release it back in.

The vehicle is a 1996 Ford Windstar minivan.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, and my installations are tight.

#6 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 AM

Yes, a Ford of that year would have locking retractors (called switchable since they "switch" to locking mode when you pull the belt all the way out).  There's similar wording to what you read in my Graco infant seat manual and in my Graco My Ride manual.  Unfortunately, the wording makes many parents doubt their installations.  I'm sure yours are fine as long as your belts are locked and the seat move less than 1" side to side at the beltpath.  Have you had top tether anchors installed?  If you need the part number to have the dealership order them, just let me know.  I can look it up for you.  

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#7 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have tether anchors.  Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post

Yes, a Ford of that year would have locking retractors (called switchable since they "switch" to locking mode when you pull the belt all the way out).  There's similar wording to what you read in my Graco infant seat manual and in my Graco My Ride manual.  Unfortunately, the wording makes many parents doubt their installations.  I'm sure yours are fine as long as your belts are locked and the seat move less than 1" side to side at the beltpath.  Have you had top tether anchors installed?  If you need the part number to have the dealership order them, just let me know.  I can look it up for you.  

#8 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma View Post
  We used the locking clip, but when we took the car to be inspected by certified car-seat inspectors at our local library, they said to take off the locking clip because if the lap belt is TOO tight, it can be equally dangerous. 

Really? It can be too tight?  I try really hard to get a tight fit and this now has me concerned.  

Me and DH, parents to:

DD1 (06/09), Twin DD2 and DS1 (born 3/12- 6 weeks early due to IUGR)

#9 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 AM

Yes, a seatbelt can be 'too tight', but it has absolutely nothing to do with locking clips.  LDSmama received incorrect information.

However, it is very, very unlikely that the average woman, or man, is going to install a car seat 'too' tightly.  The only time I have seen it done is by burly 300 lb Friendly Firefighters who are apparently attempting to impress parents with their muscles winky.gif.   

There should be less than 1" of movement in any direction for an installed child restraint.  The seatbelt should not cause the plastic to buckle or bend when you install the seat.  If you hear a CRACK when you install your seat, it's probably too tight. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankfulMama View Post

Really? It can be too tight?  I try really hard to get a tight fit and this now has me concerned.  

CPST
#10 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

Yes, a seatbelt can be 'too tight', but it has absolutely nothing to do with locking clips.  LDSmama received incorrect information.

However, it is very, very unlikely that the average woman, or man, is going to install a car seat 'too' tightly.  The only time I have seen it done is by burly 300 lb Friendly Firefighters who are apparently attempting to impress parents with their muscles winky.gif.   

There should be less than 1" of movement in any direction for an installed child restraint.  The seatbelt should not cause the plastic to buckle or bend when you install the seat.  If you hear a CRACK when you install your seat, it's probably too tight. LOL.

Thanks!

Me and DH, parents to:

DD1 (06/09), Twin DD2 and DS1 (born 3/12- 6 weeks early due to IUGR)

#11 of 11 Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 PM

I had recently bought new car and i want to install seat belt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page