logistics of airline travel with four kids in car seats! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're headed cross country next week with our four little guys (ages 6, 5, 3, and 2).  I need some help on transporting the car seats and restraining them in the seats during the flight.  We have a Scenara which we can take on the plane, and 3 True Fits which are too wide.  Seems the only other option is the CARES harness (www.kidsflysafe.com), but at $80 a piece that's going to add up really fast.  The other issue I'm having is the necessity of checking in the True Fits, since checking at the gate isn't an option.  Not only can we not handle it, but we have a four hour layover where we'd have to lug them around.  Soooo, is there any way to keep them safe while being manhandled by the luggage guys?  Seems there's no easy way out with this one :(

#2 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 PM

I think your best bet would be to pony up and buy 3 more sceneras for the trip. They're only $40 apiece, so a LOT cheaper than the CARES harness!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Are you going on vacation or visiting family/friends?  If visiting, I'd buy boosters or seats online and have them shipped to your destination.

If you are going on vacation, I'd likely pack boosters for the older kids and check them in their original boxes.  Then for the younger two, take their seats on the plane.  

CPST & mom

#4 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 AM

Unless they are quite small a 5 and 6 year old are not going to fit in a Scenera.  My 3yo doesn't.   I wouldn't worry about a harness for the plane itself for the older kids either.   I'd probably buy a second Scenera and as another poster said, a pair of high-backed boosters in their original boxes.  That's probably a total of $140 and you'll need the boosters eventually (probably soon) anyhow.  Check the boosters, bring the Sceneras onboard for the youngest two, the oldest two can ride in the airplane seatbelts. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#5 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The other option, if you travel a bit and have extra money, is to purchase 2 ride safer travel vests for the older 2 kids.  But I'd be fine with them in boosters, too, and that would be cheaper.  I agree about getting a 2nd scenera for the 3yo if the 3yo fits.  If not, I'd get a maestro.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page