Rear Facing vs Forward Facing carseat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious at what age everyone turned around their LOs car seats. I keep hearing that "they"re saying not to turn the carseats around now until your LO turns 2! Any advice?

joy.gifhappily married and a mama to DD blahblah.gif & DS babyboy.gif

#2 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Definately not until age 2! *We* won't be FF until at least 3 y/o

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM

we just turned our four-year-old around to forward facing because she reached 33 pounds (the rear-facing weight limit for her car seat).

rear-facing is safest.  if you're not convinced, watch this.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#4 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 PM

My little guy turns 3 in July and is rear facing.  He's on the small side, so he's nowhere near the weight limit for his seat yet and we won't turn him forward until we need to.  :)

#5 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 05:06 PM

My DS is 3 years old and RF.  I'll keep him that way until he's at least 4.  He has lots of room to grow in his Sunshine Kids Radian!  Less room in his Britax Boulevard, but we'll switch him out of that into a roomier True Fit in about 6 months (when our new baby will fit in the Boulevard.)

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#6 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Our car seat allows rear-facing until 12kg. At this rate our LO will be rear-facing until after she is 2.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM

At the earliest 2. But we will go to the weight/height of the seat. I am hoping to buy one for my car that will RF longer and move the current one she is in to DH's vehicle. 

#8 of 65 Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM

My oldest is 3, and rear-facing.  She will stay that way until she hits about 40lbs (limit of her seat).  I hope she makes it to her 4th birthday, but I dont think it will happen.  She's 37lbs, 38".  

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#9 of 65 Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 AM

2 is now the recommended *minimum* for turning forward facing.  And since most moms want much more for their kid than the bare minimum, hopefully most parents will choose to follow the best practice recommendation of "as long as they can", which can be 3, 4, 5 years old :)   My 3.5 year old probably has another year left in his rearfacing convertible seat  :) 

CPST
#10 of 65 Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 AM

With DD1 (who is 11yo) I didn't know any better and turned her at a yr. With DS he was rear facing till 3 1/2yrs when he maxed out his seat for weight. DD2 will be 3yo in 1 weeks and is still rear facing and will be till she maxes out her seat. 

It is 5times safer to have them rfing and unless my child out grew there seat I would not turn at 2.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#11 of 65 Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM

My youngest is still RFing at almost 2 1/2, and he has 4 more pounds to go in his true fit. My others I turned at 2. DS2 because at that time he had outgrown the seat rf-ing, and with DS1 and DD that was pretty extreme!

#12 of 65 Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM

My 29m old is rear-facing and still has about 3" and 11lbs of growth in her seat before she'll turn FF.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#13 of 65 Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 PM

I turned my DC around at age 3. I wish I had left her rf a bit longer though.

#14 of 65 Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 PM

dd1 turned 4 last Friday; she's still rear facing and will until she asks to be turned. her seat rear faces to 45 lbs but she's only about 35 currently. at this rate, she'll be ten before she maxes out her seat! I wanted to keep her rear facing until she wad at least 4, then when(if?) she asks, we'll talk about it. honestly though, she loves it. she's only asked once (about a year ago) to turn forwards.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#15 of 65 Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 PM

My DD is 2, and she won't be turning around for at least a couple more years. Ideally I would like to get my kids to booster age rearfacing, and skip forwardfacing and harnessed. rearfacing is so much safer, especially because my kids have 80th percentile heads and DD has a 5th percentile body. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#16 of 65 Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
MJB

I RF'd my 5 yr. old until he outgrew his seat at 2.5, and my little one will be RFing until 3 or 4. 

#17 of 65 Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM

DD was rear-faced until 2.5.

#18 of 65 Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 AM

I turned her around a little while ago (a few months past her 2nd birthday.) I had planned to go till 3, but didn't for several reasons. I would not, however, FF before 2 if I could avoid it.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#19 of 65 Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM

DS is still RFing at almost 3.  I plan to keep him there until he either maxes out the height or weight or until his baby sister moves out of the bucket next year and then we'll get him another harness seat that converts to a booster.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#20 of 65 Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Rear-facing is always going to be safer, so of course, the longer, the better!  The two year recommendation should be a minimum - but it's something to at least shoot for (even if it means buying a new car seat if it's outgrown by height or weight).  After two years, I'd say it depends on individual situations.  Hopefully more and more car seat manufacturers will get on board and design their seats to accommodate older riders, then it shouldn't even be an issue.  Ideally, kids could rear-face until closer to 4 years of age. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#21 of 65 Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the feed back. I understand the need to keep the LO rear facing as long as possible but I'm just curious about the LO's legs being squished when they remain RF as they start to grow. Our DS is still RF but his legs seem to be really scrunched up! Are there not concerns about that aspect of being RF?

#22 of 65 Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatalks View Post

Thank you for all the feed back. I understand the need to keep the LO rear facing as long as possible but I'm just curious about the LO's legs being squished when they remain RF as they start to grow. Our DS is still RF but his legs seem to be really scrunched up! Are there not concerns about that aspect of being RF?

I think you'll find that there are zero (or very few?) documented cases of extended rear-facing children suffering broken legs, and even if they did, a broken leg can be fixed much more easily than the sort of injury that can occur when FF'ng too early -- in small children with still developing spines & necks, I think risking a broken leg is better than risking a broken neck if you have the choice, within the limits of your seat, or the seats available to you :)

DS is FF'ng now, he's over 4 (and 2lbs away from legally boostering in our area, but he doesn't know that, and I'm not going to tell him!), but he STILL sits with his legs up much of the time, or sprawled to the sides ... I don't think the 'dangling down the front' would be more comfy than the support of RF'ng.

~SynEpona~
#23 of 65 Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Broken legs are common injuries in forward facing children who are involved in accidents.  Their legs (and arms) are flung with considerable force into the seat in front of them or the door to the side of them.  This is not a risk when RF.

sosurreal09 likes this.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#24 of 65 Old 06-21-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:

my kids either cross their legs, have them over the sides or prop them up on the seat back. neither of the two older ones (4 years old and 2 years old) have complained. they've just done whatever works for them and they don't know any different!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#25 of 65 Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DD iust turned 3 and is still RF.  She is very tall for her age, but we still have 6 or so months in her complete air.  We are good on weight for a long time.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#26 of 65 Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:

No, there are no legitimate concerns or risk in regards to legs for an older rear facing child.  Some convertibles offer a lot of leg room (The First Years True Fit, the Sunshine Kids' Radians, the Graco My Ride 65 and the Safety First Complete Air are all good examples).  And some seats offer really poor or limited legroom (Britax and Recaro convertibles).   

If you have an average to large child, or a very complainy child, you might want to invest in a seat that fits legs better than the Britax or Recaro convertibles.   However, it is *not* a safety or development concern in the least.  

CPST
#27 of 65 Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

No, there are no legitimate concerns or risk in regards to legs for an older rear facing child.  Some convertibles offer a lot of leg room (The First Years True Fit, the Sunshine Kids' Radians, the Graco My Ride 65 and the Safety First Complete Air are all good examples).  And some seats offer really poor or limited legroom (Britax and Recaro convertibles).   

If you have an average to large child, or a very complainy child, you might want to invest in a seat that fits legs better than the Britax or Recaro convertibles.   However, it is *not* a safety or development concern in the least.  

Thank you! I was wondering if it might be our carseat that was just not allowing for some much needed leg room. We have a britax! Maybe we'll look into getting a different seat if the complains start coming. thanks.gif

#28 of 65 Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

I don't think the 'dangling down the front' would be more comfy than the support of RF'ng.

i agree, in fact, i think it's probably more uncomfortable.  i think it would cut off the circulation.  just turned my 4-year-old dd around to forward facing and i hate to see her legs dangling there.  i prefer it when she props them up against the passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galincognito View Post

my kids either cross their legs, have them over the sides or prop them up on the seat back. neither of the two older ones (4 years old and 2 years old) have complained. they've just done whatever works for them and they don't know any different!

yeahthat.gif

Quote:

Maybe we'll look into getting a different seat if the complains start coming. thanks.gif

i doubt it will.  mine never complained.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#29 of 65 Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM

My 6 year old still RF thumb.gif

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#30 of 65 Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Until the limits of your seat! For DS that was 2.5. For DD it will be a LONG time (she is 19 months and about 22 lbs and her seat goes to 45 rear-facing)

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page