If you must get baby somewhere and don't have a car seat? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post

<... or in a situation where i ended up somehow without a proper seat and simply Could. Not. Get. One.

Which, funnily enough, is the situation the OP was in.

And yes, I realize I deleted where you said you would have done it too.
#62 of 107 Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 AM

I think in that situation the best course of action would be to get more details from the hotel about their "shuttle" before they send it to pick you up.  Explain to the hotel that you are travelling with a small child and need a carseat if the vehicle is not a bus. 

You could also try to call a taxi or car service, many will send a car with a carseat if requested.  If it was the airline's fault that you missed your flight, you can try to get them to reimburse you for the cost.  I've been reimbursed for buying overnight supplies when the airline has lost my luggage. 

Depending on the hour....if there is anyone at the ticket counters, you could ask if there are any carseats in the airlines' lost-and-found and borrow one overnight.  Or you could ask a car rental counter if they have one you could borrow overnight. 

Or you could make sure to always travel with a carseat, but obviously that is not always practical or even possible.

This website has some good practical information about what to do if you find yourself without a carseat (specifically in NYC taxis, but the info is helpful for other situations too.  It does emphasize that wearing a baby in a wrap, Ergo, etc while you buckle yourself in is a pretty bad option: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis.html)

It sounds like you were in a bad situation and you did the best you could hug.gif

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#63 of 107 Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 AM

I'd have hopped in the shuttle and hoped for the best. Goodness- yes, using a car seat is ideal, but the high-and-mighty 'I would never!!'  thing is just annoying!   

A lot of people are suggesting that they would ALWAYS have the car seat with them as they pay for the seat for the child.  When that is too expensive, the choice may be flying with a lap baby or not seeing family.  Frankly, I'd fly with a lap baby and I would even be fairly ok with hopping in the shuttle sans car-seat.  I might request that the driver be as careful as possible, but really, I'd probably just enjoy the scenery. I refuse to be paralyzed by guilt and fear.  I try to make the best choices I can in a given situation, but being able to accept a less-than-ideal situation is important as well.  You can't plan for every eventuality. 

As for ambulances- the cot is secured into the floor- it can't roll around, and there are straps over the body or sometimes a sort of a net.  However, not everyone is secured in the back of an ambulance.  In an ideal world, sure, but in the real world they are too busy breathing for someone, taking a blood pressure, hooking up a defibrilator, monitoring bleeding etc.  Children in accidents in car seats are usually transported in the car seat.  Often there is a layer of duct tape (folded in half over hair so it doesn't stick if they have time) added to help keep the head from moving, but the car seat is the best way to maintain spinal integrity.  

CrazyCatLady and swede like this.
#64 of 107 Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM

When my cousin was 7 months 0ld (so about 11.5 years ago) a number of my family members was out to eat. Well, when we left the restaurant, my aunt's car was gone. Stolen. And with it, the baby's car seat. I ended up driving them home (about 5 minutes down the road) with Lucas in my aunt's lap.

The police officer who filed the stolen car report told us to take it very carefully, and gave us his name so if we got pulled over, he could verify our story. Their stroller got stolen, too, but in 7 more months they needed  a double, anyway.

greenmulberry and swede like this.
#65 of 107 Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 AM

hah, that reminds me, last week my mom and i were at the mall shopping. we'd gone by bus so all i had was the umbrella stroller and a carrier. halfway through our trip, my dad called saying that an old family friend had unexpectedly dropped by and we should hurry home and see her. while on the phone, my dad suggested to my mom that he come pick us up. while he saying that, my first thought was, oh, he doesn't have a car seat in his car! right on cue my mom turns to me and says, "he doesn't have the car seat... i guess you wouldn't want to ride home with dd on your lap?"

it made me think of this thread and i just laughed and laughed... no, dad, seeing my mom's old school friend is NOT a desperate enough situation to make me want to drive through city traffic with a toddler on my lap! 

#66 of 107 Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

OP, it sounds like what's done is done, and no one was any worse for wear. The point I think some of the people are trying to get across, is that there really is no way to plan for a situation where I would not have my carseat because I am really dilegent to always have it in case of emergency. The situation where I would not have a carseat would be some kind of disaster scenerio in which there was peril to life and limb and we needed to escape quickly because our life and death immediately depended on it. If one is in a situation like that and they don't have a carseat, then they do the best they can.

In order to make it easier for myself to always have a carseat, I bring it with me all the time. When we fly, I gate check my carseat. I'm not as "good" as some people are who never let it out of their sight, but I can't afford to bring the seat on the plane just yet and he's still lap baby age. When he stops being a lap baby and I need to buy a seat for him, I'll bring the seat on the plan just to restrain him from crawling all over me :-) In any case, you can buy a cheap Cosco Scenera 40RF for $50 or less and a $10 metal luggage cart and strap the carseat onto it. If you're already wearing the baby, it's not that much extra. The carseat even comes with it's own plastic bag. You could even bungee your carry on onto the seat and pull that around too so you only had the baby on the back and the carseat on the cart. That way you'd have your seat wherever life took you.

Definitely when you fly pack a lot of wipes and diapers. You just never know what's going to happen and it sucks to be stuck anywhere with a diapered baby and no diapers.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#67 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 AM

I would have done exactly what you did. It's a risk, a small risk. It suck to have to take it but honestly there are risks everywhere in life. I think you handled the situation very well, and clearly it was not a choice you found easy or made without significant ongoing reflection. Sometimes life throws us curve balls. It's up to us to handle those surprises to the best of our ability,and you did!

swede likes this.
#68 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM

A car seat that has been gate checked needs to be treated as a car seat that you found on the side of the road or bought at a yardsale.  It's not a question of being 'good'.  It's a question of the fact that gate-checked and checked items are regularly flung around, dropped , smashed, squished and mistreated.  It is VERY common for a child restraint to be either lost (and then you're up a creek!) or returned with parts broken or missing.  

There is also the factor that a lap baby is unsafe, both for the baby and for everyone else in the plane.  You have to secure your five pound purse so that it doesn't become a projectile and cause a passenger serious injury, right?   If a 20 lb baby hits someone in the head, that person is at serious risk of injury or death, never mind the poor baby.   

If you can't afford to buy everyone a ticket, you really can't afford to fly.  

CPST
#69 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Sure, but you also don't know how a carseat was treated at the store either. Or shipping. Or whatever. If you buy your seat at BRU, how can you know that your seat wasn't thrown around by baggage handlers or shippers or stockers or whatever? You don't. At some point you have to trust that carseats are not made of ceramic. They're made of plastic that is meant to withstand a certain amount of normal stress. When we install carseats we push on them and pull them and sometimes even accidentally drop them. I'd guess that it takes much much more to really cause harm. I suppose if one is really worrried they could pack the seat back into it's original package with the styrofoam and gate check that. The Cosco scenera doesn't even come with any packing materials. Are you telling me that every single one of those seats are treated with kid gloves before it makes it to Target? And that everyone who pick up one of those seats at the store treats it nicely? I doubt you can make that guarantee.

greenmulberry and swede like this.

#70 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM

I can understand why you would feel this way, but there's actually a significant difference in transport and treatment in the wholesale and retail world versus and airline.   

Firstly, almost all car seats come packaged in boxes, which, believe it or not, do an excellent job of protecting the restraints.  The design of a cardboard box is such that it absorbs forces quite well (ever seen a cardboard box with the corner dinged up, and the material almost accordioned in on itself?  Energy absorption!)     The Sceneras do come in plastic travel bags, but are boxed together for transport to the store.

And yes, shippers have a vested interest in getting an undamaged product to a store.  Shipments are handled relatively carefully.  If goods show up to a store regularly damaged, the shipping company stands to lose a LOT of money.  Meanwhile, baggage handlers, and airlines, do not care.   Ever had to deal with lost or damaged goods?  You're lucky if you can get someone to listen respectfully to you, and if you do, the chances of you getting financial recompensation are slim, and usually not at all the value of what was destroyed. 

End of story is that car seats should not be checked, they should be used on the plane, and lap babies are extremely dangerous to both themselves and everyone around them, and every major safety organization (the FAA included!) recommends that all children under 40 lbs be secured in a restraint on the plane.  

When parents come to our station with seats they've checked, we advise them that the seats need to be disposed of and replaced with new ones. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

Sure, but you also don't know how a carseat was treated at the store either. Or shipping. Or whatever. If you buy your seat at BRU, how can you know that your seat wasn't thrown around by baggage handlers or shippers or stockers or whatever? You don't. At some point you have to trust that carseats are not made of ceramic. They're made of plastic that is meant to withstand a certain amount of normal stress. When we install carseats we push on them and pull them and sometimes even accidentally drop them. I'd guess that it takes much much more to really cause harm. I suppose if one is really worrried they could pack the seat back into it's original package with the styrofoam and gate check that. The Cosco scenera doesn't even come with any packing materials. Are you telling me that every single one of those seats are treated with kid gloves before it makes it to Target? And that everyone who pick up one of those seats at the store treats it nicely? I doubt you can make that guarantee.

CPST
#71 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:

And yes, shippers have a vested interest in getting an undamaged product to a store. 

I disagree. My husband worked at walmart in the distribution center, and he was appalled by the way items were handled. Even big screen tvs were tossed around and dropped like they were nothing. Those people make crap money, they don't care how the items arrive at the store or if the store loses money.

OP, I'd have done the same as you in that situation.

swede likes this.
#72 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

so having a lap baby is worse than having your baby never see their grandparents?  This is honestly one of the most awful and elitist  things I've read on this board.

obstruct livery vehicles

#73 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Yeah... or what if the flight was to a family member's death bed or funeral? What if it was part of a relocation so the family could move to a lower COL area? What if it was to obtain vitally necessary medical care? I can think of a lot of reasons people might 'need' to fly even if they technically can't afford it.
swede likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#74 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post

This website has some good practical information about what to do if you find yourself without a carseat (specifically in NYC taxis, but the info is helpful for other situations too.  It does emphasize that wearing a baby in a wrap, Ergo, etc while you buckle yourself in is a pretty bad option: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis.html)

Thanks NicaG the infro from taxi lady was v intresting.  seems unrestrained in a car there are three options, hold in arms, hold in wrap, belt in on lap.  All r v v v bad.  I get that.

But is there any info about which is least bad.  What about having a wrap much lower than nomral so out of the chin range?  It was useful that she metions strapping a 1 yr old in is better than nothing but a shame she doesn't say which is the least bad for an infant.

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

#75 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post

I disagree. My husband worked at walmart in the distribution center, and he was appalled by the way items were handled. Even big screen tvs were tossed around and dropped like they were nothing. Those people make crap money, they don't care how the items arrive at the store or if the store loses money.

OP, I'd have done the same as you in that situation.

This. Last time I was BRU I saw employees throwing boxes around left and right. At Costco stuff falls off that cart all the times and employees just shove them back on. Stuff certainly isn't treated well at stores. The argument that carseats can't be checked because who knows how things are treated from the time you let it out of your hands can easily be applied to products at the store. When you see that neat Scenera sitting on the shelf, you have no clue what it's life was like.

Your argument about cardborad boxed providing protection during shipping doesn't really do much better. I could easily put the seat in a cardboard box. Would that make it safer? I'd guess you'd say no. Are there any statistics on carseat failures after being checked or gatechecked (which is a different process altogether, just in case you weren't aware).

#76 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Have you ever worked on a loading dock? . The drivers yes are probably more active in how their trucks are loaded and have invested into their load however once it is off the truck yeah different story on how things are treated. Even before it hits the truck. 

Quote:

I can understand why you would feel this way, but there's actually a significant difference in transport and treatment in the wholesale and retail world versus and airline.   

Firstly, almost all car seats come packaged in boxes, which, believe it or not, do an excellent job of protecting the restraints.  The design of a cardboard box is such that it absorbs forces quite well (ever seen a cardboard box with the corner dinged up, and the material almost accordioned in on itself?  Energy absorption!)     The Sceneras do come in plastic travel bags, but are boxed together for transport to the store.

And yes, shippers have a vested interest in getting an undamaged product to a store.  Shipments are handled relatively carefully.  If goods show up to a store regularly damaged, the shipping company stands to lose a LOT of money.  Meanwhile, baggage handlers, and airlines, do not care.   Ever had to deal with lost or damaged goods?  You're lucky if you can get someone to listen respectfully to you, and if you do, the chances of you getting financial recompensation are slim, and usually not at all the value of what was destroyed. 

End of story is that car seats should not be checked, they should be used on the plane, and lap babies are extremely dangerous to both themselves and everyone around them, and every major safety organization (the FAA included!) recommends that all children under 40 lbs be secured in a restraint on the plane.  

When parents come to our station with seats they've checked, we advise them that the seats need to be disposed of and replaced with new ones. 

#77 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbird View Post

Thanks NicaG the infro from taxi lady was v intresting.  seems unrestrained in a car there are three options, hold in arms, hold in wrap, belt in on lap.  All r v v v bad.  I get that.

But is there any info about which is least bad.  What about having a wrap much lower than nomral so out of the chin range?  It was useful that she metions strapping a 1 yr old in is better than nothing but a shame she doesn't say which is the least bad for an infant.

The website seems to favor buckling a toddler/young toddler into a regular seatbelt over wearing the child in a wrap and buckling yourself in.  After watching the video, it looks like the real problem with the wrap is that it just shreds on impact, sending the baby flying into the interior of the car, into the seatback, into the windshield.  So it's really no better than holding the baby on your lap.  I guess if the baby is buckled into a seatbelt, at least it helps somewhat to prevent the baby from being ejected from the car or hitting the interior of the car. 

#78 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

A car seat that has been gate checked needs to be treated as a car seat that you found on the side of the road or bought at a yardsale.  It's not a question of being 'good'.  It's a question of the fact that gate-checked and checked items are regularly flung around, dropped , smashed, squished and mistreated.  It is VERY common for a child restraint to be either lost (and then you're up a creek!) or returned with parts broken or missing.  

There is also the factor that a lap baby is unsafe, both for the baby and for everyone else in the plane.  You have to secure your five pound purse so that it doesn't become a projectile and cause a passenger serious injury, right?   If a 20 lb baby hits someone in the head, that person is at serious risk of injury or death, never mind the poor baby.   

Such a privileged statement.

#79 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Some international carriers don't even allow you to bring a carseat on. 

#80 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:

I think it's a little extreme to insist that everyone who gate-checks a car seat needs to throw the seat away.  Is there any evidence that gate-checked seats have malfunctioned later in an accident?  Any evidence at all? 

As for lap babies on airplanes, hasn't this been discussed a million times on this forum?  I think it comes down to probability.  Yes, we can all agree that holding a baby on your lap on an airplane is not the absolute safest way to fly.  However, we all do risky things each day.  Based on actual statistics, airlines and governments around the world have decided that the risk of a lap baby being injured during a flight are very very small, probably smaller than the risk of crossing the street as a pedestrian, definitely smaller than the risk of riding in a car in a properly installed car seat.  Governments and airlines have decided to allow the practice of lap babies to continue.  For those who can afford a seat for their baby, great.  We all know that it's safer.  But I think it's unfair to attack those parents who bring lap babies on a plane.  Those parents have decided that the amount of risk involved is acceptable to them, and that's a legal, and in my mind reasonable decision.  Can anyone give me actual statistics about how many lap babies travel each year, and how many are injured?

amberskyfire and swede like this.

#81 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Anyone who can get in a car is 'privileged'.  Anyone who can buy an airline ticket is privileged.   

I find the whole, "Oh, I can't afford to fly if I have to buy my baby a ticket" is completely disingenous.  If it was the law (as it will be within a few years, a lot of us are working very hard to get rid of the lap-baby loophole and the FAA is completely onboard), you'd find a way to pay for it if you're flying in the first place, as you will the moment your baby turns two.  

The number of people who stop flying when their child turns two, but flew anywhere and everywhere up to 23 months is pretty much non-existent.     My guess is, if you were legally required to, you would.  

You are, of course, completely welcome (for the time being, until the law changes) welcome to disregard my advice, but making personal attacks simply makes you look foolish. 

And if you can scrape up for X months to buy 1 or 2 tickets, you can scrape up for X number of more tickets to buy the third. 

~Amy~ likes this.

CPST
#82 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Anyone who can get in a car is 'privileged'.  Anyone who can buy an airline ticket is privileged.   

I find the whole, "Oh, I can't afford to fly if I have to buy my baby a ticket" is completely disingenous.  If it was the law (as it will be within a few years, a lot of us are working very hard to get rid of the lap-baby loophole and the FAA is completely onboard), you'd find a way to pay for it if you're flying in the first place, as you will the moment your baby turns two.  

The number of people who stop flying when their child turns two, but flew anywhere and everywhere up to 23 months is pretty much non-existent.     My guess is, if you were legally required to, you would.  

You are, of course, completely welcome (for the time being, until the law changes) welcome to disregard my advice, but making personal attacks simply makes you look foolish. 

And if you can scrape up for X months to buy 1 or 2 tickets, you can scrape up for X number of more tickets to buy the third. 

the op was given a ticket as a gift.   Also, many international carriers don't allow carseats. 

#83 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 PM

I can see how you could still have this problem, even if the child were over 2 and not car seated on the plane due to having a travel vest or an available carseat on the other end. I suppose if they are old enough to be non-car seated on the plane, they are old enough to do seatbelt only if absolutely necessary. I have belted mine in as toddlers in a similar situation. No shoulder strap, just lap belt. The floor seems like a somewhat reasonable option as well.

In the OP scenario though, I would probably make a very big stink about being kicked out sans help if the missed flight was their fault in any way. Perhaps I'd also call a local tv station, who often advertise in the airport to publicize what they're doing. Also, you could insist that they call the police and ask them for assistance, maybe even including a car seat, as they often seem to have some available for demonstrations. Last, maybe if you have internet access, or just look up before you go a phone num for a local church/synagogue/similar of your denomination/religion. They often have all hours crisis or help lines, and many would be able to get a car seat and driver to you if not a place to stay. I'd have done the same though if I had to get in the car somewhere. Wrap won't help in a crash, but should at least minimize minor jostling I think.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#84 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:

also - :( to the bolded.

#85 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM

You can buy a seat all you want, but how many toddlers are going to stay put in a carseat while people are walking around to and from the bathroom? Is the seat ONLY for take off and landing? Are you going to strap your kid into a carseat when the plane is going down in midst of all the chaos? Probably not. So, most people would probably take their kid out if he/she was screaming right? My kid would scream the entire time if she was in a seat, making everyone's flight absolutely miserable. I flew with my three month old last summer and she nursed almost the whole time. I guess I should have paid over $300 so that I could hold her and nurse her on a 8 hour flight? eyesroll.gif

Im flying in 4 weeks on a 5 hours straight flight with a lap baby, not because I cant afford to buy her a ticket, but because it would be pointless to spend $250.00 because I wouldnt keep her in the seat if she were screaming (and she would be after that many hours in a carseat). I hope you are not successful in changing the regulations, because a lot less people will take their children places if they cant hold them.
swede likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#86 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, I would not have been able to put DD in the car seat on the plane even if we had one plus the $1000 ticket. She was a screamer like yours. I wasn't able to put her down until almost age two. It was awful. We never went anywhere in the car. She would scream so hard that by about two minutes into the drive, she would turn purple, choke and couldn't breathe anymore. To this day, she still will start to suffocate and panic if she gets too worked up. It would have been a very very expensive empty seat next to us. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

You can buy a seat all you want, but how many toddlers are going to stay put in a carseat while people are walking around to and from the bathroom? Is the seat ONLY for take off and landing? Are you going to strap your kid into a carseat when the plane is going down in midst of all the chaos? Probably not. So, most people would probably take their kid out if he/she was screaming right? My kid would scream the entire time if she was in a seat, making everyone's flight absolutely miserable. I flew with my three month old last summer and she nursed almost the whole time. I guess I should have paid over $300 so that I could hold her and nurse her on a 8 hour flight? eyesroll.gif

Im flying in 4 weeks on a 5 hours straight flight with a lap baby, not because I cant afford to buy her a ticket, but because it would be pointless to spend $250.00 because I wouldnt keep her in the seat if she were screaming (and she would be after that many hours in a carseat). I hope you are not successful in changing the regulations, because a lot less people will take their children places if they cant hold them.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#87 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 PM

OP, I would have done the same thing in your situation and been a nervous wreck the whole time. But, being able to look at it from a distance, I wonder if the police would be able to help you. I am sure they must have some car seats on hand in emergencies or be able to get one, maybe from an ambulance. At least they may be able to provide you with a better alternative.

Maedze-the number of flights we have taken with DS1 to see my family has reduced significantly since he turned two. We simply cannot afford the extra ticket and I am afraid that once DS2 turns two we will not be flying to see my family at all, which means not going home since they live 2500 miles away. (I'm not looking for sympathy, just stating the facts.)

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#88 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:

1. We flew until DD1 hit 2.  Now we drive (godawful and usually not feasible) or don't go at all b/c the extra $400 expense if not in the budget.  If we had a sick family member and had to fly we'd be screwed or not able to say goodbye.

2. I highly doubt that in a few years lap babies won't be allowed.  This is the first time I have heard anything about this.  And if keeping kids rear facing in cars until 2 isn't law I can't see how anyone would be concerned about the safety of lap babies in plane,s which is much safer.

3. You sound incredibly elitist and I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG in your posts.  I really hope that's not your intent and that your intent is to give people information on the risks and benefits of a situation so they can make their own decisions.

swede likes this.

obstruct livery vehicles

#89 of 107 Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

How awful - sorry you had to go through that!

If it were me, depending on size of baby I'd probably borrow someone's travel system (carseat on stroller combo), check to ensure it meets airline size restrictions for "gate checks", then load up the stroller with carseat/baby and carry on luggage, have 3 yr old walk (or carry an Ergo or similar carrier if you have to put her on your back).  Then do what's called a "gate check" where the stroller/carseat is left at the door of the plane and is ready and waiting for you when you get off.  The hardest part is retrieving your checked baggage, but most airports have large luggage carts for rent (this is when you have to get creative with loading up the cart and having a hands free carrier for baby if you can't manage both the cart and the stroller.  The key is to minimize having to carry or tow things (to keep at least one hand free at all times)...and instead try to get as much of your precious cargo on wheels and/or strapped on your body!

#90 of 107 Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

I really like the police idea. That is fab! Thank you! I honestly think the police would just tell me not to worry about getting in the shuttle the one time without a car seat, but it sounds like an awesome first option and it certainly can't hurt to ask. Or beg. :) I'll keep that in mind next time. At the very least, it would probably be safer to ride in the police vehicle than in the shuttle if they didn't happen to have a car seat they could provide. Hawaii towns are tiny and I don't know that they keep them for that kind of use or not.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page