help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what would u do if both bedrooms where on the top of the stairs and there was no way of putting a gate up on the top for theres no place to anchor one... and because of this both my sons sleep in our room in their beds, but its hard on our sex life and sleeping for they are always there and we want to try for another one but dont want to until we can figure out a safe way to put our kids in their own bedroom. oh and i cannot just gate their door for they can climb them btw. 

Full time student and stay at  home mom for my 2 awesomely cool boys, Merrik Orian 4-12-08, Asher Drake 10-11-09. They are my world!

#2 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 AM

if you need to be able to lock them in, put a high eye hook on the outside of the door. You will then probably always be awakened to banging and screaming, but it won't let them fall down the stairs.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#3 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

i guess i never really thought of that... we have to do that with our bathroom... but if i do that ill be scared i wont hear them! lol

Full time student and stay at  home mom for my 2 awesomely cool boys, Merrik Orian 4-12-08, Asher Drake 10-11-09. They are my world!

#4 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM

I'm pretty sure there are gates made for the top of the stairs that can attach to banister poles without ruining them, they attach using something like a zip-tie

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#5 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM

My mom had to put a chain lock on my brother's door. He was a climber and broke into the medicine. He could open the door and yell out, but couldn't come out. But you could just use a baby monitor too.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

the problem is there is no banister at the top of the stairs. the top 3 stairs are at the halway entrence up stairs that leads either into our room or the right to the boys room... so theres no place to attach a gate to anything. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

I'm pretty sure there are gates made for the top of the stairs that can attach to banister poles without ruining them, they attach using something like a zip-tie

#7 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

wow i really feel dumb i never thought of using a monitor with lock. though lock kinda scares me a bit... but its better than them always in our room or falling down the stairs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

My mom had to put a chain lock on my brother's door. He was a climber and broke into the medicine. He could open the door and yell out, but couldn't come out. But you could just use a baby monitor too.

#8 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM

they make really tall gates that may work and you could also use a baby monitor to make sure you hear them.  I think locking them in the room is a terrible idea. Not safe in the rare possibility of fire and I just hate the idea of locking a kid in their room- might be related to my line of work and hearing about children being locked away for long periods of time...

eblindauer likes this.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#9 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

What about putting one of those door knob things on the inside of their door that keeps them from opening it and then bells or something on their door handle so you would definitely hear them if they are jiggling it?  We had to duct tape our door knob things together because DS could figure out how to pop them off and open the door, but the duct tape prevents him from breaking it and he still can't figure out how to open the door with it on.  I can hear him jiggling to from far away and with bells you would hear for sure. 

Alternatively, you could have sex in another room... 

eblindauer likes this.
#10 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

Most likely, I would just have sex in another room. Locking kids in their rooms scares me. 

#11 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

yeah the locking thing scares me. i guess your right we have plenty of other areas to have sex lmao. but i dont want to make a habbit of them sleeping in our room so once they are old enough to not worry about what they get into so much and we know theyll wake us up then they might not want to be in their own room lol but thanks for your ideal so far ladies!

#12 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Could you switch their bedroom door with a kind of dutch door, and just lock the bottom half?  Or would they be able to climb that?

DD 2/08
#13 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Do you think they could climb an extra tall gate like this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Baby-Extra-Tall-Swing-Close-Gate-Black/5691050#BVSecondaryCustomerRatings

I think it's a good solution, as it leaves their bedroom door open so you can hear and see them. 

eblindauer likes this.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#14 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

wow i never seen it and i was looking at walmart! thanks i think that is gonna be the first thing i try! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Do you think they could climb an extra tall gate like this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Baby-Extra-Tall-Swing-Close-Gate-Black/5691050#BVSecondaryCustomerRatings

I think it's a good solution, as it leaves their bedroom door open so you can hear and see them. 

#15 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 PM

I'm sorry, but I think I'm missing something.

What is your concern  here?  You can't leave your kids in their room because...?  My kids' rooms are upstairs, but if they woke in the night they would come into our room.  Additionally, it looks like your kids are a wee bit older--- can't they handle the stairs?  Or are you concerned that they sneak downstairs and out the front door or something?

And, btw, many children sleep in their parents room when young and transition later without problems.

#16 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would rather have a good lock or locks on the front/back door then lock my child in the bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

I'm sorry, but I think I'm missing something.

What is your concern  here?  You can't leave your kids in their room because...?  My kids' rooms are upstairs, but if they woke in the night they would come into our room.  Additionally, it looks like your kids are a wee bit older--- can't they handle the stairs?  Or are you concerned that they sneak downstairs and out the front door or something?

And, btw, many children sleep in their parents room when young and transition later without problems.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#17 of 23 Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Please dont lock your children in a room. Have sex somewhere else, or turn a room downstairs into a bedroom for them.

Locking children in their room is a HUGE fire hazard.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#18 of 23 Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Please dont lock your children in a room. Have sex somewhere else, or turn a room downstairs into a bedroom for them.

Not true.  In a fire, the best thing is to keep kids contained where you know they are and can find them.  Small kids tend to do things like hide when there is a fire - not find their way out of a house.  

#19 of 23 Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

How?  Cribs aren't fire hazards and locking a kid in their room just seems like an extension of a crib.  I'd much rather have my 3 year old locked in her room in case of a fire than be frantically searching a burning house for her b/c she freaked out and hid.

obstruct livery vehicles

#20 of 23 Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM

I remember a fireman mentioned once he really wished parents would shut their childrens' bedroom doors because that's one more barrier to smoke and fire.  A bedroom door doesn't stop smoke or fire but it slows it down, which might make the difference between life and death. 

That said, my son prefers to sleep with his door open and I let him. 

Eblindauer, glad to help!  I hope the gate is a good solution. 

#21 of 23 Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I understand this is the gut reaction of a lot of people, but the bottom line is either a young child can or cannot get out of a house in the event of a fire.  If the front door is unlocked and so is the bedroom, they can potentially get out (not that most probably would make their way out in a fire...).  That means that they could also potentially get out in the middle of the night when there is no fire.  Which is not safe.  I just saw something on the news about a four year old sleep walking on the highway.  Alternatively, a parent can lock them in their room which prevents them from leaving/falling down the stairs/etc. but there is a fire risk, sure, maybe.  I think a fire is less likely than a fall down the steps at night, etc, and firefighters at least would know where a child was if they were locked in their room and could rescue them.  If not, they could be anywhere in the house or outside. 

#22 of 23 Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM

The OP's children are 3 years old and 1 1/2 years old.  It's not a good idea for children this age to be up and wandering around at night while the adults are asleep.   They could fall down the stairs.  They could get safely down stairs but then get into the kitchen.  They could get into the toilet.  The safe place for them at night is in a bed, in their own room or parents' room.  The OP is brainstorming how to find a safe sleep solution that works for her whole family -including herself and her partner.

APToddlerMama likes this.

#23 of 23 Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Honestly, our dd is younger than your oldest, and she has been able to handle stairs and being in her own room safely for a long time now. Are you a really deep sleeper? I really think you will wake up if they leave their room, especially if you shut (but don't lock) their door and leave yours open. Extra especially if you also use a baby monitor. You know your kids, but when dd wakes up, she's in our room before she's even got her eyes open! She's spirited, and a daredevil, but she's not once tried to do anything but get in to bed with us!

It did occur to me that a screen door may (or may not!) be a cheaper alternative. Those handles can be tough to work for grown ups, and would still allow for visibility/hearing. I'd install it so that the side of the door with the locking mechanism is on the outside, just so they wouldn't accidentally lock themselves in. I also think that the Gosslins of Jon and Kate + 8 had full-on, un-climbable baby gates back in the day. (?) Hope you figure something out!

For greater things are yet to come...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page