Moving to the US - help with car seat for 6-month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We will be moving from Europe to the US in a few weeks and won't be bringing our current infant car seat (leaving it here with family for when we visit).  

DS is 6 months old and quite big (almost 20 lbs).  What car seat should I get him?  I get the impression that he's rapidly outgrowing his infant car seat and would like to get him one that will last a while.  Yet I don't want to compromise on safety.  DS can not quite yet sit up by himself, but he can sit against the back of the couch, for example, and I expect it won't take long before he can properly sit up.  

I have no idea what car seats are available in the US and would much appreciate any advice - esp. since I will have to ask DH to buy one by himself (DH will get there before DS and me and need to have it ready to pick us up from the airport).  Thank you!!

#2 of 6 Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would look for a convertible car seat with a tall shell and good rfing limit that will last you a good long time.  I'd look at the radians (but check car-seat.org to see if there are install issues with your vehicle), graco myride, true fit, or complete air.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 6 Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

You might want to bring your seat just in case, even if it's short lived. You're going to need a seat to get around here and you don't want to run right out and get a seat. Are you getting a seat on the plane? If so, it will be way easier for the long flight if the baby has a nice bed-like spot to sleep in.

Since your baby is close to 20lbs and already 6 months old, you definitely don't want to get another infant seat. I'd look exclusively at a convertible seat. Do you have your own car here in the US? Will you be in an urban or suburban area? Do you only need 1 or do you need one for two cars? In the US, the minimum age recommended to turn your babies forward facing is 2 years old which might be a change from Europe. Because of that, you're going to want to find a seat that rear faces to 40lbs. If you have a 20lb 6 month old, that would be even MORE important, though since your baby isn't at all mobile yet, the growth rate could definitely slow down.

You can easily get a convertible seat for under $150 at your local Target, Babies R US or Walmart. All carseats pass the same standards, so a cheap seat does not mean that it isn't as safe, it just means it may not have all the bells and whistles of a more expensive seat. A $50 seat (Cosco Scenera) will be a more than adequate seat, but most people like to have a little more padding and foam for comfort, so you usually will find a great seat at around $100. The Graco My Ride is a great seat in that price range, as is the Britax Roundabout, or the Evenflo Triumph.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#4 of 6 Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you both!  It's good to know what I should be looking for.  I am now also considering taking the car seat on the plane, as it will be useless here (too small) anyway when I come back over the Christmas break.  I don't have an extra seat booked for him (he still qualifies for a bassinet), but maybe there'll be a free seat next to me for it (fingers crossed).

#5 of 6 Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

If you have a 20lb 6 month old, that would be even MORE important, though since your baby isn't at all mobile yet, the growth rate could definitely slow down.

I will just plug the growth may slow down angle.  Ds1 was 24lbs at 6 months.  He hit 40lbs around 3 1/2!  Once they get mobile their weight gain really slows.  He outgrows seats by height rather than weight now.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 6 Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

You're right, I more meant that as an encouragement to move to a convertible seat instead of wasting time in an infant seat.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page