Is it possible to fit 5 young kids in a Honda Odyssey? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due with our fifth child next year, and I'm worrying about fitting them in our car, or if we'll need to get a different car. Right now we have a 9 year old in a backless booster seat and a 6 year old in a Britex booster with a back, both in the third row, and there is barely any space between them -- not enough for another car seat! Then, in the two second row bucket seats we have Britex convertible seats for the 4year old (who is only 32 lbs), and the almost 2year old (who is also 32 lbs, ha ha)

Is there any solution here that I'm not seeing? I think that even if the two older ones are in backless boosters, there isn't any way to fit a harness seat for the 4 year old back there too. But I'm used to the bulky Britex seats, and maybe there is something smaller? Or, what larger cars have people moved to? We also have a problem of not being able to fit my mom in the car with us.

I'd appreciate any advice!
#2 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Yes, there is definitely a way to do this :-)

Can you be specific about which boosters and convertibles you own, and their dates of manufacture? (Britax is the brand name, not the name of the seat, and there are dozens of possibilities.)

Also, is your two year old rear facing?    And which year is your Oddy?

One more thing, can we get the heights and weights of your older kids, and the heights of the younger ones?

ETA:  Congratulations on your pregnancy!

CPST
#3 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have 5 kids in our 2007 Odyssey. smile.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, wow, what a weight off my shoulders that this is possible! I'm afraid I don't recall any of the specifics on the car seats; I'll find time today to look and then post again later. Thank you!
#5 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Also is your Oddy one of the ones that has an optional "Plus One" seat that can go in the center of the second row (I think those are EX or above, 2006 or newer).  I have a 2007 Odyssey EX, and I can easily put 3 seats across the middle row - I have three rearfacing convertibles there now, and they're not super small seats either.   That just leaves two in the back, which is pretty easy.   Even without the PlusOne I think it's going to be possible, but that would give you more options. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page