RF and car sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD1 turns 4 on 9/24 and is 38 inches tall, 33 lbs.  I had switched her from the Blvd to a Safety 1st CA earlier in the year so we could ERF but ever since, she has had major car sickness & has now started throwing up in the car.  This never happened before we went back to RF. 

DH has a lifelong history of motion sickness & I tend to feel it if I read in the car, turn around in the car for too long, or face backwards on the train.  I feel awful for her & don't think it's right to make her deal with it, but now that I know what I know about ERF being so much safer, it makes it so tough. 

Thoughts?

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#2 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post

DD1 turns 4 on 9/24 and is 38 inches tall, 33 lbs.  I had switched her from the Blvd to a Safety 1st CA earlier in the year so we could ERF but ever since, she has had major car sickness & has now started throwing up in the car.  This never happened before we went back to RF. 

DH has a lifelong history of motion sickness & I tend to feel it if I read in the car, turn around in the car for too long, or face backwards on the train.  I feel awful for her & don't think it's right to make her deal with it, but now that I know what I know about ERF being so much safer, it makes it so tough. 

Thoughts?

Turn her around.  She is plenty big enough at this point. 

#3 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 06:55 PM

By 4, I'd be OK with it. It's not like a toddler with a big head on a tiny little body.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM

I figure you can either turn her around or get some vinyl seat covers.

#5 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you really want to keep her RF have you thought about trying those pressure point wrist bands?

http://www.biobands.com/order.htm

I googled and got scads of results $6-$12 bucks this brand has them in kid sizes. Your DH might like to try them too! ;-)

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#6 of 7 Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 AM

At this point I'd absolutely turn her around. She is big enough, and it is horrible to be that car sick if it can be avoided.
#7 of 7 Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Forward facing at this juncture is fine.   

I'd worry about *other* methods to deal with the car sickness if she were two, but not at four. 

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page