Should I just buy another True Fit 670 for my almost 3 yo, or go for something else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a True Fit Premier 670 car seat in my husband's car, which was our only car until quite recently. It's been a great seat, and I did a bunch of research about it at the time.

But now I have a new car, and my kid (who is 38" tall, 31 lbs, and still rear-facing) is almost 3 years old, and I am wondering if I should consider other options that perhaps have higher limits for weight or height, or convert to boosters later?

Can anyone point me at other seats I should consider on those bases, or should I just go buy another True Fit because it's worked well for us so far?

We are not going to have another child (sob) so hand-me-down potential is not important.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have a True Fit (standard). Like you, I considered the other options on the market at the time and decided the TF was the seat I wanted. Seats out there now that have higher RFing weight limits are: Radians, Complete Air and MyRide. I remember seeing a chart on car-seat.org that had a ton of info on every carseat out there including shell height and harness slot heights. If I recall correctly the TF is definitely one of the tallest. If your daughter is tall and lean, TF might keep her RFing as long as any of the higher weight limit RFing seats. I just recently purchased a Radian 80SL (we had a second child and need another convertible anyway) because my older son is 75% for weight but 50% for height. I choose a seat with a higher RFing weight limit in the event that my DS1 might outgrow the TF by weight and not by height first.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM

I wouldn't get a True Fit.   One good growth spurt and you'll have to use it forward facing, and it's silly to spend money on a seat when you can't use half its natural function. 

If you want to keep rear facing, I'd go for a seat with a higher rear facing weight limit (40-45).  If you want to switch to forward facing, I'd consider a Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier 85, Evenflo Maestro or Recaro Prosport.

There are many seats that rear face to 40 lbs now, far exceeding the list mentioned above.  In fact, it's pretty much the minimum standard now.   You can also consider the Evenflo Triumph 65, Evenflo Momentum, Evenflo Symphony 65, the Safety First Complete Air, the Alpha Omega Elite (don't use it as a booster!) the Cosco Scenera 40RF, and several more.  (All the Britax convertibles rear face to 40 lbs now, but don't bother.  They're so short-shelled your daughter will likely have all ready outgrown them!)

CPST
Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If you want to keep her rfing, the complete air goes to 40lbs rfing and it will last ffing to booster age.  My long-torsoed 6 1/2 yo still barely fits in the harness, when he's too tall to ride in the radian!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

There are many seats that rear face to 40 lbs now, far exceeding the list mentioned above.  In fact, it's pretty much the minimum standard now.   You can also consider the Evenflo Triumph 65, Evenflo Momentum, Evenflo Symphony 65, the Safety First Complete Air, the Alpha Omega Elite (don't use it as a booster!) the Cosco Scenera 40RF, and several more.  (All the Britax convertibles rear face to 40 lbs now, but don't bother.  They're so short-shelled your daughter will likely have all ready outgrown them!)

You know, I see a lot of people mentioning the Scenera 40RF. I had a standard Scenera for travel but my nearly 3 y/o outgrew it by height yet he only weighed 31-32 lbs and still has plenty of vertical space in the TF (which has officially been handed down to his brother). Is the 40 lb RFing version taller?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Nope, it's the exact same shell height as the original.  Overall though, it's still a fairly tall seat especially considering its cost, and some kids, (depending on torso height of course)  can get to 40 lbs rear facing in it.

The True Fit is one of the tallest convertibles on the market, and is substantially taller than the Scenera :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

You know, I see a lot of people mentioning the Scenera 40RF. I had a standard Scenera for travel but my nearly 3 y/o outgrew it by height yet he only weighed 31-32 lbs and still has plenty of vertical space in the TF (which has officially been handed down to his brother). Is the 40 lb RFing version taller?

CPST

User Tag List