Is there a difference between a skateboard helmet and bike helmet? (safety wise) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds has a bike and a bike helmet, and he also has a little skateboard.  I took him to the skate park today and noticed ALL of the other kids had skateboard helmets, no bike helmets.  

I just ordered him a new bike, so was thinking of getting him a new helmet to go with it.

Is a bike helmet safe for a skateboard?     Is a skateboard helmet safe for a bike?   Does it matter?   

#2 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 PM

We have had twol pretty substantial bike accidents in our house and I have been told there is a difference. Most bike accidents happen while moving forward (over the handle are type) so bike helmets are engineered that way and most skateboard head injuries are from falling on the back of the head when the board shoots out the front, so that's why the skateboard helmets cover more of the back of the head. If you are going to be doing both on a regular basis, I would have one of each.
#3 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD1 spends a fair amount of time at the skatepark, we have one of each for the reasons 34me mentioned. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 14 Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I'll likely pick up a multisport helmet for myself (there are some which meet certifications for both bicycles and skating, but it requires knowing those standards and looking for the appropriate stickers), but I mostly use a kick scooter while chasing kiddo on his bike.  I go down hills, so I have a chance of hitting my head from pretty much any angle.  

I don't know if multisport helmets are suggested for small children.  I'd probably buy two helmets for DS just for peace of mind.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#5 of 14 Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I'll see if I can find a multi-sport, and if not go with a skateboard helmet, he is just now getting into it but really enjoys it.  He can wear the bike helmet he has now for bike riding still, it fits him great and he hasn't crashed that one (yet... he split his old one falling on his head but wasn't hurt other than a scrape)

He has a big head, so hopefully they will have a multi-sport in his size, that sounds like a good idea and easier for him than having 2 to keep track of.  

#6 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM

We use a multi sport helmet also, because bike helmets are sort of like carseats in - once they are crashed, they are done.  My kids take so many tumbles and stuff, I like being able to reuse our helmet.  Skate helmets and multi's  are designed to withstand multiple crashes (although obviously i would replace after a significant crash). 

CPST
#7 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

I found him a multi-sport one that fits, its for ages 8+ but has a bunch of padding inside and fits him snug and in the right spot.   He has been wearing that one for skateboarding, and the bike helmet for biking.  It was even on sale!   

#8 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 AM

Nutcase makes excellent multisport helmets for kids.  Our daughter got one when she was 1 1/2, still has it (at 2 1/2) and adores it.  

I realize you found a helmet, but thought I'd add the my 2cents if anyone else was still looking.

#9 of 14 Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM

I was wondering the same thing. My son loves to skateboard and bike, he uses the same helmet for both. I feel like this is ok?

#10 of 14 Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Honestly helmets are not that expensive.  It's best to have both kinds as they are designed for differently.  If they're riding around the hood and not doing anything spectacular than it's not that big of a deal but if they're at the skate park... yeah I'd make sure they have the right equipment. 

#11 of 14 Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Bike helmets, hockey helmets, skateboard helmets, batting helmets. We're about to need offsite storage for all our helmets.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#12 of 14 Old 10-15-2011, 03:57 AM

How I've always known it:

You can use a skateboard helmet for a bike but cannot use a bike helmet for a skateboard. As a pp mentioned a bike helmet protects more of the front. But a skateboard helmet Protects front, side, and back. Really the whole head. There are many different directions to fall off a skateboard (especially backwards) while on a bike you're gonna crash from the front. Bike helmets do not protect the back of the head.

#13 of 14 Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Funny I was wondering this exact thing the other day.  OP, I know you got your helmet, but I'm curious for toddler parents--where do you find a tiny mulit-sport or skate helmet?

DD is 2.5 and has a tiny head.  Her bike helmet is an XS and is barely small enough.  There's no way she could wear the 3+ years sizes I see in the stores. 

#14 of 14 Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post

Bike helmets, hockey helmets, skateboard helmets, batting helmets. We're about to need offsite storage for all our helmets.

Don't forget lacrosse....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page