Thinking about buying a Swedish seat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering buying a Britax Hi-Way 2, but my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy to spend $500 (with shipping) on a carseat. I kind of feel like there's no amount of money I wouldn't spend on my child's safety. What sparked this whole thing was my mom asking me to get a car seat for my DS to use in her car. My first thought was to get something safe, but inexpensive (like a Cosco Scenera or something) but I have no idea when he's going to be 35 lbs, and I have a feeling I won't be ready for him to be forward facing. So now I'm thinking I'm either going to buy a second Radian, or put my Radian in her car and get a Swedish Britax. I just have a couple questions that I was hoping someone with a Britax Hi-Way or a similar seat could answer...

-How long do you think he'll actually fit in the seat? 55 lbs is pretty straightforward, but I'm having trouble getting an idea of what height he'll be able to ride in it until. 

-How long is the seat good for? I know car seats have expiration dates, but I have no idea how long they are safe to use. If I'll be able to use it for a future child, that definitely makes it that much more worth the money. 

TIA! 

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#2 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If he's not 35 pounds yet, I wouldn't do it.  How tall/heavy is he now?  A Radian will probably even be overkill, my DD was 33 lbs at 22 months and is still only 38 lbs at 3yrs 7months and she STILL has room height and weight wise in her Radian.

DD 2/08
#3 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Also, if he's not 35 pounds yet, statistically he probably won't hit 55 until he's at least 8.

DD 2/08
#4 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 PM

I would get another radian. It will probably be good all the way until the child grows out of the seat, it is very slim and portable, so good for going between cars or if you add another baby to the mix.

#5 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

He's about 30 pounds now at 2.5 yrs. I'm afraid he'll outgrow the height limit on the radian before the weight limit. But, in all honesty, I don't think I really have a grasp on fast kids grow. I'd really like to keep him rear facing until he's at least 4, preferably until he's 5 or 6. Is this going to be possible in the radian? 

#6 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM

yeah id just get this and its on sale too http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OC32ZW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cheapmamachic-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B002OC32ZW

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM

In a Radian, my 50th percentile 4.5yo could still be rearfacing (in the version w/ head wings and 45lb rearfacing limit in Canada).

He's not RFng, b/c while I'm all for extended rear facing, I think at his age he's fine FFng & harnessed.

Right now, with the name change of SKJP to Diono, you can get the 'old' Radians on sale, and get 2 of them for the price of one of those Swedish seats ... Plus, I'm in Canada, and importing foreign seats is not legal, so for us, there'd be no question, just get the Radian! We have one for DS, and one for DD, and love them.

~SynEpona~
#8 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

It's not legal to use a Swedish seat in the US, either.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#9 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 02:35 PM

My 4.5 yr old is 37lbs and RF in a Radian. We're going to have to turn him soon because he's outgrowing it by height but it's gotten him this far. This is the kid that was 25 lbs at 8 months and then held steady at 33lbs until last November. I think you'll be fine with a Radian.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#10 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, the legality of it is not something that concerns me. 

Anyway, it's sounding like I'll be just fine with a Radian. Thanks everyone! 

#11 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 PM

While I understand your logic, you just want to keep your child safe, so you'll use an illegal seat, I think you need to think beyond "the safest option".  Some points to consider.

A)you are setting an example for people around you-I break the law because it is what I feel is best.  The next time you try and convince a mom to not turn around her 6 month old, she could throw this back at you.  

B)If you are pulled over, you could receive a citation for an improperly restrained child, as the seat is not legal in the U.S.

C)If you are ever in an accident, and your child is injured, insurance can refuse to pay for any/all medical costs because he was not legal restrained.  They also will not replace the seat. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#12 of 12 Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Radian is fine! My son is just now creeping up on 45lbs at 4.5yo. I think, unless your child is maintaining some crazy growth curve, that should be fine!

My DH and I were just today talking about the huge difference between max 33lbs available when my DD1 was a RFing babe, and the max 45lbs seats now. That's a HUGE difference!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page