HOLY SMOKES, my DH just discovered someone had been living in our crawl space!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now, we live in the bay area. High crime, lots of homeless, crazy stuff goes on a lot.

But, this really is freaking me out.  We just signed a lease into our new place, and for some reason DH wanted to take a peak under the house. So he opened it up and voila! A sleeping bag, food wrappers, and a pillow. No person, however. This is a crawl space...a tiny little dirty place under our house! (Part of me feels really sad that someone had to live there, the other part is scared!)

We are waiting to here back from the Police dept. DH put a giant lock on the door.

Have you had experience with this?

Do you think I am overreacting?

always celebrating guitar.gif

#2 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Oh my. That's wild. I would be totally freaked out too.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#3 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM

I would definitely be a little freaked out at the idea, but I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like you just moved in, so I assume whoever was using that space was just taking advantage of it while the house was empty. I don't think I would have called the police, personally, but I would keep an eye out for any strange activity. I doubt they'll be back. smile.gif

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

#4 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM

I'd definitely keep an eye out, and seal up any entrances to the crawl space very well.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

who's to say it wasn't there from a past tenants or their child going there?

you really have no idea how long it was there do you?

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 PM

It really isn't that uncommon for the bay area, especially if the house was vacant. We have a LOT of vacant houses in Nor. Cal., and squatters are far from uncommon. Usually closing up the area well will prevent any further entries, and they usually won't try to stay around once you move in.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

unreal! I was looking for the holiday helper thread!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#8 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:46 PM

wow, I have had dreams of this happening in our crawl space and in our barn!  Just last week I had a dream that a toddler was living in our crawl space, really, really freaky dreamgreensad.gif.  We live in the country so the likely hood of a person living in our crawls space or barn is probably zero, but skunks tend to like it.  I would have called the police too.  Make sure to close up the space really well!

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

#9 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

unreal! I was looking for the holiday helper thread!

is there one yet for this year? so sad that someone was living in the crawl space economy is bad and has hit alot of people hard. Hopefully the person wont be back and has found a safe place to stay.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#10 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 06:35 AM

What did you do with his (her?) stuff. They probably need it. 

Did anyone read "Sarah's Key"? At least it wasn't a dead body!

#11 of 11 Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 AM

I hope you put their stuff out somewhere safe that they can get too. Maybe with some pbj sandwiches and some bottled water in a back pack with a note or soemthing.

hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page