sticks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 15 months old and he loves to play outside.  He also loves to gather up sticks and walk around with them.  We live in a woodsy area and I can't reasonably gather up every stick in his path... I can take them away but he'll just find another one.  He is a fairly stable walker but still trips often.  Do you let your little ones pick up sticks?  How do you handle this?

#2 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 PM

DD picks up sticks and rocks and often times things that are pokey and hurt. She falls down when she gathers too many things, but I think thats just part of toddlerhood.
Thyme Mama likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

DD picks up sticks and rocks and often times things that are pokey and hurt. She falls down when she gathers too many things, but I think thats just part of toddlerhood.

Yep. 

Both my kids are stick picker-uppers and have been since crawling.  My only "rule" is that the sticks stay outside...so there's generally a nice pile outside the garage door.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas... my instinct was, this is ok because children have been doing it from since the beginning of time, I'm sure.  But I've been battling a lot of self-doubt lately and was starting to worry that people would think I'm a bad parent for not taking them away.  He has fun with it, and I like that he enjoys being outside so much and doesn't need to bring toys, he can find everything he needs to be entertained right there. :)

#5 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We teach them to pull bigger sticks along behind them, trailing them on the floor which saves them from poking each other quite so much. That said DSs idea of a stick is more a small branch!

If you are particularly worried about the sticks being carried how about getting a small wagon or even doll stroller for carting things around. We didn't get ours with the aim of them becoming stick carriers but they were certainly used that way a lot.

#6 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

They love to collect, the idea of getting him something to put his collection in is a good one.  DD1 would gather and place all her finds in a shoe box or bigger depending and then go through them.  I just had to watch for eating of rolly pollies. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page