Quick question for those familiar with the old and new True Fit seats.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we have an "old" True Fit (2009) for DD, and I love it.  EXCEPT, the belt tightener/loosener thingie, which is nearly impossible for me to reach because it is tucked so far into the back seat (she's RFing). 

I'm thinking about getting the "new"  (well I know its been out for a while, but new to me) True Fit Premier for the new baby, but from the online images I can find, it doesn't look like the belt tightener thingie is in a better position, and it really kills my fingers!  Don't get me wrong, we don't adjust her belt that often, but we also don't take the seat out that often, so its inevitable that I will have bruised fingers occasionally.

I'm also wondering if the anit-rebound bar makes it harder to adjust the angle for RFing little ones.  My babies seem small and I don't need the detachable headrest for quite a while--longer than DD wanted to be in the nearly laying down position I see in the photos of the TFP. 

Any thoughts?  TIA.

#2 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 PM

I can't answer your question but we have a true fit and had the same issue. We also have a evenflo truimph advanced. They have a knob on either side of the seat so adjusting is super easy when rfing and they now make one that rf to 40 lbs. We have had ours for 4 yrs now and love it!  The price is nice as well. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Triumph-65-DLX-Convertible-Car-Seat-Lincoln/15566907

Hope that helps. : )

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a tfp, never seen the regular one.
While you do have to poke down to release the harness, never anything to cause bruising. I find it easier than my other seat, scenera. The rebound bar prevents the carseat from being flush with the car.

As for the recline. I love it. You do have to unbuckle the seat to adjust the angle. But i love that you don't have to resort to towels.

If I had to do it again, I would still buy the tfp for my main carseat. I have a very tiny car and could not fit a taller shell rf. I'm not able to rf at a 45*angle with the headrest on my tfp.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 07:42 PM

We have the TFP and don't have a hard time getting to the tightener... if we install it and forget to get the strap on top before tightening the whole seat, then I do have to dig for it, but that's just once and then after that it's easy every time.  

He just reached 35 lbs and we turned FF and it's such a great FF seat too!  He's so high up and soooo much more comfortable than in our back up scenera.  Easy for him to fall asleep in there too since it's so comfortable.  

#5 of 8 Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by chel View Post

The rebound bar prevents the carseat from being flush with the car.

Oh, that makes sense.  The problem with ours is that it is flush with the seat back in DH's truck, and his rear seats come up at nearly a 90* angle.  But of course with rebound bar it would be different, thanks for mentioning that!

#6 of 8 Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM

I have the True Fit Premier and I still have to use pool noodles to get it into the infant recline position. Maybe it's just how my car is made (Honda Fit).

This is the only carseat I've ever used, so I don't have any comparison, but it is pretty tough to tighten the straps. Although maybe that's because they always seem to need adjusting when DS is cranky. shrug.gif

I bought this one because I didn't want to have to buy an infant seat in addition to a convertible, and this one said it fits newborns. DS was born at 10lbs and 23" long, and I don't know if it would have worked for him if he was any smaller.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#7 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM

I have a TFP and a PT Cruiser, and I had to use a towel to get it into the recline.  Even without the towel, I couldn't get it to sit up at the toddler recline though. 

I agree that while the location of the tightener is annoying, the rebound bar does make it so you can get your fingers in there.

cat - to tighten, find the splitter plate with your free hand on the back of the seat.  It's where the two straps come together to the 1 tightening strap.  Pull/push it down towards the car seat pulling up the slack from the seat.  Then pull the tightening strap.  It sounds complicated, but once you figure out where the splitter plate is, it's actually really easy. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

I have a TFP and a PT Cruiser, and I had to use a towel to get it into the recline.  Even without the towel, I couldn't get it to sit up at the toddler recline though. 

I agree that while the location of the tightener is annoying, the rebound bar does make it so you can get your fingers in there.

cat - to tighten, find the splitter plate with your free hand on the back of the seat.  It's where the two straps come together to the 1 tightening strap.  Pull/push it down towards the car seat pulling up the slack from the seat.  Then pull the tightening strap.  It sounds complicated, but once you figure out where the splitter plate is, it's actually really easy. 

Hmmm... I don't get it, but maybe this will make sense when I'm looking at the seat. Thanks!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page