"Forward facing car seats are necessary for your toddler" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday was DD's 12-month well-baby check up. We were given the usual info sheet containing information pertinent to our child's age. It addresses what developmental milestones they will be meeting, general food guidelines, and big section on toddler safety.

The first bullet point under toddler safety is about car seats. I quote, "Forward facing car seats are necessary for your toddler". Yes, they said, "necessary"! This is for a 12-mo!!! I am so disturbed! I know better, but others may not and they will come away from the appointment thinking they really need to turn their baby. It's possible they just mean *convertible* seats are necessary for your toddler, but it definitely isn't interpreted that way.

I feel compelled to contact her doctor's office and have them revise the word of the sheet with the AAP's new guidelines and information about extended rear-facing.

How would you go about doing this? Would you make an appointment to specifically address the issue? Catch them at DD's next appointment (in a month)? Email or phone call? Just walk-in?

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would send an email. I am pretty sure that they mean convertible seats, but its also pretty silly considering that some of the buckets go up to 25 lbs and there are plenty of toddlers who dont reach that mark until 2 years old (I have a 20 lb 19 month old who sometimes still sits in a bucket seat. Not often, but when her dad accidentally drives off with the seat in his truck its my back up seat, and if I hadnt gotten the convertible I would totally feel comfortable with her in the bucket.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

User Tag List