4 kids help me arrange my seats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an 06 dodge grand caravan with a bench in the back and two buckets in the middle.

My original plan was to get a bench for the middle but it is not compatable.

Currently I have DD 7 harnessed in a nautilus. She weighs 58 lbs and is below the top harness.

DS1 is 5 also harnessed in a nauti. He weighs 37.8 lbs and is pretty short.  Both kids are in the very back row of the van with one bucket seat folded into the floor.

DS2 is 2 and is rear facing in a trufit ( older model that goes to 35 RF) in the other bucket seat.  He weighs 29 lbs

We are due with number 4 at the end of December. I still have DS2s snug ride 32.

My older 2 kids have to be able to get in and out of the van at school ect

TIA

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#2 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would probably put the older 2 in the back and the younger 2 in the middle.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Your third row only has one top tether anchor, which means you can have only one forward facing harnessed child back there.   You cannot have two.  

My primary suggestion would be to change the 7 year old's Nautilus to booster mode, and put her in the third row on the side, with the two year old rear facing in the True Fit on the other side.  The two year old can walk back there and climb in, and you can teach the 7 year old how to buckle her. 

Then put the harnessed 5 year old and the infant seat in the middle row. 

CPST
#4 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

I didnt realise that there is only one tether anchor in the third row. We have not been sharing there was 3 (i think ) there but only one latch.

im wondering now what we have it attached to!    We have been through at least 2 carseat safety clinics with it like that!

Is it possible to have another anchor placed in the 3rd row?

In some ways it would be easier to have the two smaller ones in the midddle row but it will make it extremely difficult for my older two to exit and enter the van, especially in wet rainy and soon snowy weather. they would either have to duck under 2 rf carseats and crawl on thier knees to get in and out or try to shove past one forward facing with wet mucky boots and very little room.

We do the in and out shuffle 3 times a day because my oldest is in full day school and my middle one is in half day school.

My 2 yo also doesnt like to co-operate and get in his seat so trying to put him in rf in the back seat for me or DD would be a huge challenge.Also with how I buckle and unbuckle him when DD is in school.

I had been thinking about putting DS1 and DS2 both FF in the back row and DD1 and DD2 in the middle row because DD1s seat would be empty the most time out of all of them. But if I cant have 2 FF in the third row that wont work either.

I could pull my hair out! I'm begining to think I need a minibus and i'm only half joking.

Are there even any other vans that are better equiped to handle this?

#5 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I know older siennas (2010 and before) have 2 tether anchors in the back and 2 in the middle.  I believe the Odyssey has 2 in the rear as well.

You may have one attached to a cargo hook rather than an upper tether anchor.  Common mistake.

Your 7yo is perfectly safe in a booster if she can sit properly, so you could keep her in the rear row in a booster. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM

All Toyota Siennas 2010 and previous have two tether anchors in the rear row.  Honda Odysseys 2006 and up have tether anchors all across the rear row.  

If you've got two top tether anchors connected back there, someone done made a bad mistake at your car seat clinics.  You've got to disconnect them immediately. 

CPST
#7 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

The pp was correct. I had one attached to a cargo hook. greensad.gif
I have spoken to Chrysler and they can't put another one in the third row.
I guess I now have no choice but to booster DD. I have had some concerns in the past about her sitting properly. I guess she will be ok now.
How dangerous is it having the tether attached to the cargo hook?

#8 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Cargo hooks are not rated to the forces required for a tether anchor.   You'd be essentially turning your child into a crash test dummy....something we generally try to avoid winky.gif    

A 7 year old in a booster is SAFE.   A child attached to an unapproved cargo hook may be very UNsafe. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post

The pp was correct. I had one attached to a cargo hook. greensad.gif
I have spoken to Chrysler and they can't put another one in the third row.
I guess I now have no choice but to booster DD. I have had some concerns in the past about her sitting properly. I guess she will be ok now.
How dangerous is it having the tether attached to the cargo hook?

CPST
#9 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry ignore my pregnancy hormones:o

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page