Which option is safest? Sunshine kids radian - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 21 month old is about 25lb (tall and skinny). She's rear facing in an older radian (2007). I've been noticing for a while that the straps seem too low behind her shoulders. They very easily slip off her shoulders, even with the chest clip. I thought it was time to move the straps up one slot but when I did it they were still above her shoulders. Also, I read recently here that the angle should be more upright rear facing than most radians allow. The angle is probably close to 45%. It's awkward to get her in because we have an old vw westfalia, so one sliding door and I have her on the far side so her seat isn't in the way when my son gets in. So my options are: put it back to how it was, turn her ff in the radian OR put her in our spare seat rear facing which is a cosco scenera. I haven't tried installing it in our car but I know it will install more upright than the radian. It's not very comfy though. Thoughts? 

#2 of 4 Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM

If the straps are starting to slip off, it's ok to move them to the next slot, even if it's a little bit above.  It's more important that the harness lies correctly on her body. 

Definitely don't turn her forward facing!  It's not 'unsafe' to have it at the full recline, just really annoying.  Once Diono releases its toddler rear facing wedge, you can buy that and use it to achieve the more upright angle :-) 

CPST
#3 of 4 Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

If the straps are starting to slip off, it's ok to move them to the next slot, even if it's a little bit above.  It's more important that the harness lies correctly on her body. 

Definitely don't turn her forward facing!  It's not 'unsafe' to have it at the full recline, just really annoying.  Once Diono releases its toddler rear facing wedge, you can buy that and use it to achieve the more upright angle :-) 

As long as the seat does not recline more than 45 degrees you are ok.  If it's more than 45 I would put her in the scenera until the angle adjuster comes out.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 4 Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, this is helpful. The angle is probably somewhere between 45 and 40. Does anyone know if this wedge will be available in Canada?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page