BubbleBum Booster Seat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a 2004 Toyota Corolla as our 'second' car - our primary kid vehicle is a Honda Odyssey.  We currently have a FF Sunshine Radian 65 behind the driver, a RF Radian in the middle, and a backless Turbo Booster behind the driver.  It fits - barely - but is a PITB to get the booster buckled.

Our kids are almost 5 DS (44 lbs, 44 inches) in the FF Radian, 7yo DS (64 lbs, 53in) in the backless turbo booster, and a 2.75 yo DS (30 lb DS, 37 inches) in the RF Radian.

When at the doctors in his clothing/shoes, our youngest RF DS was 32 lbs. Our Radian only goes to 33 lbs RF, so I decided to try to flip it to see how it would configure to have 2 FF Radians and the booster.

Well, it didn't fit.  No way could we get these three seats in here together.

So, I'm trying to figure my options.  I'm fine with moving my almost 3 year old to FF in this car (not primary car, still RF in minivan). 

I saw a review for the Bubble Bum booster and it intrigued me - http://www.bubblebum.us  Does anyone know anything about this?

Or, other suggestions for our situation.  I'd prefer to keep the 5 year old still harnessed for a while - we just moved the 7 year old a few months back when he grew too tall for his Radian. 

TIA!

Devon

#2 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 04:58 PM

We, too, had trouble getting three seats in the backseat of our car.   Although we only have 2 children in boosters, we often have other children that ride with us to activities after school.  We searched on the web for a solution and looked for narrowest booster seat  we could find which was BubbleBum.  So, we gave it a try.  It's a lifesaver!  It's only 13" wide solving the problem of sore knuckles when buckling in.

I saw recently that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave BubbleBum top marks too.  A "Best Bet".  I was shocked to see some of the other seats that didn't make the cut and I am sad to say that we owned one of them...oh well, it's been replaced.

We did a lot of research before we bought it.  There's lots of information on the web from safety professionals that endorse it.  The Car Seat Lady for one, and Car Seat.org for two.

I hope this helps!

#3 of 7 Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 AM

This looks great! We could really use this as a portable car seat for DD to take along with her in a friend's car or for us to have in our car for another child riding with us. We have 2 car seats in the back and no room for anything else so we have never been able to give another kid a ride when they need one.
Thanks for posting this link.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#4 of 7 Old 12-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Keep in mind that a booster MUST be used by a lap shoulder belt and that a backless booster MUST have either a head rest or a high vehicle seatback to at least the tops of the child's ears.  

Many middle seats in older model cars still have lap belts only, and many middle seats, even on brandy new cars, don't have headrests or have inadequate head rests. 

CPST
#5 of 7 Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetymomof3 View Post

We, too, had trouble getting three seats in the backseat of our car.   Although we only have 2 children in boosters, we often have other children that ride with us to activities after school.  We searched on the web for a solution and looked for narrowest booster seat  we could find which was BubbleBum.  So, we gave it a try.  It's a lifesaver!  It's only 13" wide solving the problem of sore knuckles when buckling in.

I saw recently that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave BubbleBum top marks too.  A "Best Bet".  I was shocked to see some of the other seats that didn't make the cut and I am sad to say that we owned one of them...oh well, it's been replaced.

We did a lot of research before we bought it.  There's lots of information on the web from safety professionals that endorse it.  The Car Seat Lady for one, and Car Seat.org for two.

I hope this helps!

An IIHS "Best Bet" rating only measures how the booster fits the 6yo crash test dummy.  It is *not* a safety rating and may not be applicable if your child is a different size and shape than the crash test dummy is.  There is absolutely no reason to replace a booster that fits your child properly.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#6 of 7 Old 12-03-2011, 01:58 PM

However, I'm willing to bet that any one of the seats on the worst-bet lists probably didn't fit the PP's kid well.   Those seats are consistently pretty awful, LOL.

CPST
#7 of 7 Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Yeah, I agree that the "worst bets" are generally awful, and the "best bets" are often good.  My point was more that the IIHS ratings are not based on safety but on fit (and yes, I realize fit is an integral part of safety, but I would not get rid of a seat that fit MY kid well just because the IIHS says it won't fit the 6yo test dummy well).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page