Radian or Britax...help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

You'll have to read the owner's manual about the 2011 Explorer -- check both the airbag section and child restraint section -- but it's quite possible that rear-facing seats are not allowed to touch the front seats.

Sosurreal, what year and make and model is your vehicle?

If the airbag sensors are affected, the airbag may not go off, or it may go off with more force than needed.  Neither scenario is good for a front seat driver/passenger.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#32 of 47 Old 12-23-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read both the child restraint and air bag sections and all I got from it was that the airbags will not inflate if it detects a child seat being used in the back. Nothing said "child seats cannot touch". 

Mama to two wonderful boys DS1 (May 2007) and DS2 (March 2011)      

bfinfant.gif    femalesling.GIF  familybed2.giflactivist.gif

#33 of 47 Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

DIono's official rule is, 12 months and good neck control.  It says it on the package, and their engineers insist on it.  

Unofficially, we have been told the 12 months is a very conservative estimate.   

So, if you told me you were planning on using it with a medically healthy 9 month old with excellent head control, I might develop an unfortunate coughing fit and get distracted by a squirrel.  *whistles*

I'd been wondering about that.  I am contemplating a radian for kid #3, but drive a sienna.  Add to that my kids have been 20lbs by 4-5 months and 25lbs by around 8 months.  Wearing 24mo clothes (read- tall) by 12mo.  AND.... all of those things will cause the over-recline issue in the Sienna.  SO.... I'm trying to decide if I can split the difference and add the angle adjuster closer to say 9 months or so when I am concerned about over-recline...

hmmm....

#34 of 47 Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM

We have a Toyota Rav 4 2010

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#35 of 47 Old 12-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Toyota does not allow anything, including rear-facing child seats, to touch the front seats in vehicles with advanced airbags, which yours does have.

#36 of 47 Old 12-26-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty much any convertible seat RF in my car will touch.  No way around it unless I use the angle adjuster on my Radian.  I could RF my DS1's current Britax Marathon - the older version that goes to 65 lbs (manufactured in 10/07 so I think I got six years total on that expiration; therefore I got at least a good year left on it that DS2 could RF in).  Pretty sure that Marathon RF will touch. In fact, It RF'd in my old 2008 Explorer and never thought about it.

Either way, I'm making an appointment to get it installed and if they have trouble with the Diono RF, then I'll have them RF DS1's Marathon and put DS2 FF  in the Radian (I bought 2 Radian's).

Do you suggest I find a tech from seat check.org?

#37 of 47 Old 12-26-2011, 01:19 PM

I think you're probably okay touching in a Ford.

#38 of 47 Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think so too.  Worst case scenario is I RF my DS1s Marathon for a year or so (since I got time on that Marathon's expiration) until he can FF in the Radian as I mentioned.  I can only find car seat inspections -and they all say Sherrif...

By the way - am I correct on that thinking on expiration on the Britax?  I think it's 6 years from the date of manufacture - which again is 10/07.  So should expire in 10/13...so looks like I'm good until he is at least 2 (he would be 2 in March 2013).

I'm just not into returning both seats as I not only would I have to ship them back but I really like the seats and once DS2 is FF its still an awesome seat that we should get lots of years out of...which is why I'm okay using DS1's Marathon for another year or so and letting one Radian sit in the box until then.

Still hope I can RF my Radian however...I'm going to see what the tech says next Thursday.  DH tried to install the Radian today RF for the baby and just came in huffing and puffing that he wasted an hour of his time (LOL) and that he just didn't feel like he was doing it right.  I have to call tomorrow because it said it was car seat inspection.  Thats not what I'm looking for - I'm looking to have them install it and want them to know what they are doing.  Every time I do a search for a tech in my area, I get a list of inspections.  I looked on seatcheck.org and all the ones listed are at a Police Station or the County's Sheriff.  shrug.gif

#39 of 47 Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Update!

Had a seat tech install the seat yesterday.  The tech (also a Sheriff) said it cannot touch and alas, we have maybe an inch of space b/w the seat and the passenger seat.  The passenger seat really doesn't look to cozy as it's really close.  DH said he doesn't think it's safe for anyone to even sit up there...if heaven forbid the airbag should inflate.  However, it's not any closer than I sit to drive so...shrug.gif

DS2 looks cozy and we haven't yet installed the second one until this weekend (that one goes in FF and DH feels better about installing that one himself - it was RF that I wanted a tech to do since it's a much trickier install than a FF seat).  The only thing is with DS2 in it was when he fell asleep he slumped his head completely to the side.  I tried fixing it at a red light...slumped again as soon as we got moving.  So...I think he still needs the infant support pillow it came with.  I think there is no age max on that thing.  Also, I'm going to wait on the angle adjuster unitl he is 1.

#40 of 47 Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Yup, with a 2011 you can't touch, unfortunately. 

The more upright your vehicle seat can go the further back you can scoot.  You might want to see if you can go 'upright' one more click to give yourself a little more leg room.

Rule of thumb for front air bags: your torso/face should be at least 10" from where the airbag will exit the vehicle.  

CPST
#41 of 47 Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm definitely not following that rule when I'm driving or I'd never be able to reach the peddles comfortably...

When you say one more click, do you mean on the seat?  Sorry for sounding ignorant.

#42 of 47 Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Are you quite petite?   You should look into pedal extenders if the problem is that bad, because sitting closer than 10" to the airbag is really not safe.  

Yes...click up the seatback as upright as you can tolerate it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmama View Post

Well, I'm definitely not following that rule when I'm driving or I'd never be able to reach the peddles comfortably...

When you say one more click, do you mean on the seat?  Sorry for sounding ignorant.

CPST
#43 of 47 Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Would we be better off just disabling the air bags?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#44 of 47 Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM

TMama, I think Maezde means "clicking" the driver's seat so it is less reclined and more upright.  Generally, the more upright the seat is, the farther back on the track it can sit without interfering with rear-facing carseats.

Sosurreal, you cannot legally disable front passenger airbags in a sedan or SUV or minivan or anything but a two-seater truck.

#45 of 47 Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Definitely not. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Would we be better off just disabling the air bags?

CPST
#46 of 47 Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

One more question  now that we have DS1 FF in the Radian.  His straps are above his shoulders and on the highest setting.  The setting lower than that one would be slightly behind him.  The problem is the straps are uncomfortable for him and digging into his neck because they are high...i know I can put the cover things on them but he is still complaining since they aren't flush against his body...

Also, with the infant support pillow on DS2's Radian...he was still slumped when he slept...oh well...

DS1 is mad about his Radian being lower and he "can't see the ground now" shrug.gif  His Marathon was higher and he's not happy...

#47 of 47 Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 AM

It sounds like it's just an adjustment phase.  I'd acknowledge his annoyance, put the strap covers on him, and otherwise not encourage the complaints unless he's actually, genuinely in pain, which is unlikely.

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page