Tether questions: RSTV and Graco Nautilus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was reading another thread that mentioned the RSTV, and someone mentioned using the tether even with a lap/shoulder belt.  I have the vest and have read the instructions multiple times, trying to divine whether or not the tether is *only* to be used with a lap belt, or if it ought to/could be used at all times.  If anyone knows, I'd love the answer.

Also, my xdh bought a Graco Nautilus to use ff, harnessed for our ds in his standard cab truck (ds is 4.5, about 40#), and has not pursued having the (free) tether point installed.  Can someone tell me, please, whether that needs to be accomplished before ds can safely ride in that truck?  We've already had some issues with proper installation, so I'd like to be really really really clear about what will need to happen here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 06:39 AM

If the child is going in a lap belt position, the RSTV cannot be used without a top tether. If it's a lap-shoulder belt, the top tether should be used if available.

Unless you are in Canada where a top tether is legally required, the Nautilus can be installed with belt alone, if you are using a seatbelt and not lower anchors. However this is NOT recommended. Failure to use the top tether results in a much higher incidence of severe head and neck injuries in a crash. I do not allow my children to ride in forward facing seats that aren't tethered.

CPST
Old 12-31-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  That's just what I needed.  We don't even have any lap only belts, but something about the way I was reading the instructions for the RSTV had me thinking that the tether was only to be used with a lap belt, and not with lap/shoulder.  Which really doesn't make any sense; sometimes I'm just too full of details and concerns and wanting to make sure I've got it right to the letter, and I over think, or forget to think critically.

Nautilus will now be tethered, although xdh can't seem to get the install solid, so it's out of use until that can be properly accomplished.  Ds will be riding rf in the car in his Radian for the time being, and I can relax a bit about the two of them tooling around together.

User Tag List