5 pt car seat over 50lbs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for recommendations for 5 pt convertible for kids over 50 lbs.  My little buddy is 5 and around 48lbs now.  We use the Eddie Bauer deluxe 3 in 1 and he technically could be switched to the booster...but as he isn't complaining and I feel he is safer I am looking for another chair he can grow into. 

BTW I am in CANADA. 

Thanks!!

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#2 of 13 Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 PM

Graco nautilus or britax frontier 85 would both be good choices.

#3 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM

It's difficult to find one that has a good height limit, too.  My son weighs 55 lbs but is tall for his age.  I can't find a 5 pt harness that fits him properly.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#4 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM

The frontier 85 will fit most kids until at least 7yrs or so.  You might try it out.

#5 of 13 Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM

We don't have the Frontier 85 in Canada...well, we have the same(ish) seat, but it's called the Frontier XT and has a 65lb limit.  Same height as the US one, though, so will fit the longest by height.  If he still fits by height in a 3-in-1 one (shoulders below the top harness slots), though he must have a fairly short torso, so you could reasonably look at the Graco Nautilus or Evenflo Maestro if you'd prefer a less expensive seat, depending on how long you intend to harness him (Maestro is $120ish and the Nautilus runs around $200, depending on where you purchase it).

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#6 of 13 Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! I will be looking this weekend for something suitable!

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
#7 of 13 Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

His shoulders are even with them...this is why I was initially alerted to getting a new one.  He is sitting right at 48lbs. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post

We don't have the Frontier 85 in Canada...well, we have the same(ish) seat, but it's called the Frontier XT and has a 65lb limit.  Same height as the US one, though, so will fit the longest by height.  If he still fits by height in a 3-in-1 one (shoulders below the top harness slots), though he must have a fairly short torso, so you could reasonably look at the Graco Nautilus or Evenflo Maestro if you'd prefer a less expensive seat, depending on how long you intend to harness him (Maestro is $120ish and the Nautilus runs around $200, depending on where you purchase it).

#8 of 13 Old 01-06-2012, 02:07 PM

It really comes down to how long you'd like to keep him harnessed. The Maestro is out...sorry, I missed his weight in your OP. The Maestro's weight limit is 47lbs in Canada. I personally would get the Graco Nautilis (actually I do have one for my 3.5yo). You probably have another year or 2 of harnessing time and then you have a good highback and backless booster. The Frontier will give you even longer in a harness and then will become a good highback booster. Totally depends on your budget and how soon you feel comfortable boostering. Either is a safe and appropriate option.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#9 of 13 Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

The top harness position in almost all older Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 seats is for booster use only and can't be used with the harness (check the manual and the back of the seat).  If you are using that position and you shouldn't be, he needs to be switched to the booster before he rides in the car again, as he has outgrown the seat and it is not safe to use.

If he does well in the booster, consider getting a different booster, as the Dorel seats make very dangerous boosters.  If you believe he still needs to be harnessed, I agree with the recommendations of Nautilus or Frontier.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#10 of 13 Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Thank you for mentioning this.  It's been my experience that if a EB 3-in-1 in Canada has a 50lb weight limit (which I'm assuming this seat does as OP says her son is 48lbs), it also is one of the newer seats that allows the top postion to be used with the harness, but it's a good thing for the OP to be aware of and check into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

The top harness position in almost all older Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 seats is for booster use only and can't be used with the harness (check the manual and the back of the seat).  If you are using that position and you shouldn't be, he needs to be switched to the booster before he rides in the car again, as he has outgrown the seat and it is not safe to use.

If he does well in the booster, consider getting a different booster, as the Dorel seats make very dangerous boosters.  If you believe he still needs to be harnessed, I agree with the recommendations of Nautilus or Frontier.

#11 of 13 Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm going to move this to the family safety forum.  Enjoy the ride!

#12 of 13 Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's aSsistance. I bought the nautilus. Do I feel he need to be in the harness? no. But I do feel it safer. We travel a lot (8h drives multiple times a month). So as he is more than happy to be in a harness I am happy to keep him in it a while longer. 

#13 of 13 Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Great! You'll be happy with the Nautillus! It's a nice seat! smile.gif

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page