Input on Specific Seats, Please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, a friend is considering the following seats.  What input would you give?

(oh, 10 month old baby)

Combi Zeus

Combi Coccoro

Recaro ProRIDE

TIA!

#2 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

One of their vehicles is a 2011 Mazda 3 Hatch and the DH is quite tall (at least 6'2")

#3 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

Hi, a friend is considering the following seats.  What input would you give?

(oh, 10 month old baby)

Combi Zeus

Combi Coccoro

Recaro ProRIDE

TIA!

I wouldn't really suggest any of them for a 10 month old baby. Kids should stay RF for as long as possible because it's the safest way, and its easiest to do that in a seat that is comfy and long lasting for an older toddler. The Combi Coccoro is a great seat (I personally own it for my 18 month old) but it's not a great option at 10 months, because its considerably smaller than most other seats on the market. It's perfect for someone looking to buy for their newborn and forgo the infant seat, but she won't get a lot of time out of it at 10 months. It also only has a 33lb RF limit, which is quite low compared to many of the other seats on the market. My son is pretty average, and he's looking to outgrow that seat within this year so I'll need to get another seat to keep him RF until the age I'm comfortable with. The Zeus might be a little larger, but still has the same low weight limit.

The ProRIDE is a great seat, but it's pricey and has a really shallow seat, making it not the greatest option for older toddlers. Now, I don't think the kid will mind (kids are really bendy) but it might be hard to orgami the kids legs in there to buckle him. Otherwise it's a great seat, so of the options, that's the one I'd choose, but she could get a lot of other great seats for less money and better longevity. Tell your friend to take a look at the Graco MyRide 65, the Diono Radian (any of the models), or the Evenflo Triumph 65/ Momentum. All of them would be better "bang for her buck" and be safe seats for her kid.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#4 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM

I wanted to add that the Radian might be an especially good fit for them, because they just came out with an angle adjuster wedge to use with older babies. Depending on how good the 10 month old's neck control is, they could use the angle adjuster to install the Radian more upright so that the taller dad would have plenty of room.

#5 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM

Agreed.  I wouldn't consider any of those seats.  I'd look at a radian, true fit, my ride, even britax before the ones they've listed.

#6 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

How about the size of the car issue? According to her, they tried and a Britax wouldn't fit. The mom is now saying she's just going to forward face her at a year.

#7 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 PM

Well, if a Britax won't fit, neither will a TF.  It also only has a 35 lb RF limit. My DH is 6'4", and we have a TF, what we wound up doing is sacrificing the front passenger seat, and when all of us go out, DH drives and I sit behind him.  Did that until we switched DS to FF when he outgrew the weight limit. 

I would suggest a local store that will allow her to try the seats in her car.  And then pick the one with the highest RF weight limit. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

At a more upright angle most seats (maybe not the radian, the angle adjuster age minimum is 12 months) should fit. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#9 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

While the printed age on the angle adjuster is 12 months, Diono has stated that the adjuster is safe to use for younger children.

DD 2/08
#10 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:

How about the size of the car issue? According to her, they tried and a Britax wouldn't fit. The mom is now saying she's just going to forward face her at a year.

What car do they have and what size is the baby?  If the ProRide fits, almost anything will.  I would not recommend ANY of those seats.     I sincerely doubt a "Britax" wouldn't fit in their car, it's one of the smaller seats available.   It sounds like they need a technician more than anything. 

CPST
#11 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I'd really suggest that she read up on why the recommendation is to RF as long as possible before she makes that decision. It's really important that she RF her child until at least 2, as the AAP suggests, and even try for longer if she can. I have a compact car (Subaru Impreza) and I've had a lot of seats in there and I plan of RF as long as possible. There are definitely some seats that didn't work as well, but with a little maneuvering I could RF my son until he was probably 4 in my compact car. Maedze is right, she might want to speak to a CPST who could help her find the right seat. They'll often come and speak to you and help make a recommendation for free, and then help you install the seat you choose. The CPST who came to my house even brought a few seats of her own to try so I was able to look at them before I bought. 

In general, infant seats (which are really reclined) take up MORE front to back room than convertible seats when installed more upright for older babies. So if she's got an infant seat back there, I'm almost positive she'd be able to fit a new-style Britax in there, and maybe others as well. 

#12 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

They'll often come and speak to you and help make a recommendation for free, and then help you install the seat you choose. The CPST who came to my house even brought a few seats of her own to try so I was able to look at them before I bought. 

We're in the Seattle are.  Do you have the info for this person/program (to come ot your house and help)?  How much did they charge?

TIA

#13 of 15 Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

We're in the Seattle are.  Do you have the info for this person/program (to come ot your house and help)?  How much did they charge?

TIA

I don't know if this is the same one, but I've "known" Wendy on car seat boards for a while and she will do a great job.  http://www.wendytt.com/

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#14 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's not designer, but the scenera is a nice compact seat.  I have yet to have a problem rf it, I use it a lot in tiny rental cars.

While not a very tall shell, it will let her rf past 1yr, which I guess is the current goal.  As it sounds like a taller shelled seat won't work.

I have an old Honda civic and know that if I was any taller I couldnt rf my truefit behind me

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#15 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

I don't know if this is the same one, but I've "known" Wendy on car seat boards for a while and she will do a great job.  http://www.wendytt.com/

Thanks!  That is the exact one.  I've passed on all the information and that's all I can do. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page