Traveling with a car seat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We currently have DS FF in a TFP.  He is 40+ lbs, and 38 inches tall (last we checked, it's been about 6 weeks, so probably closer to 39 now).  Next month we're planning an over night train trip with a car rental on the other end, and a long weekend at our destination, with another train trip home.  I really don't want to lug a TFP on and off a train and try to install that monster in a rental car.  Not sure I see another choice though.  I've been looking at getting him a Britax Frontier 85, since he's going to need it before his next birthday at this rate, but not sure that's any better for lugging around, and I wasn't planning on getting it so soon. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  Not sure I'm comfortable relying on the car rental agency's car seats, all things considered. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#2 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Trust your instincts on the car seat rental idea... it's possible (perhaps even likely) that you'd end up with a broken seat, a dirty seat, a seat that didn't fit your child properly, or, quite possibly, no seat at all.  The Frontier is certainly a great seat, but it's heavy and bulky.  If it's going to be difficult to transport the TFP, it will be at least as difficult to transport the Frontier.

We recently traveled with an Evenflo Maestro.  I tried to install it with both LATCH and the seat belt in our relative's car.  I got a great install with the seat belt in about a minute flat.  It has a nice tall harness for larger kids.  It's also one of the most lightweight and narrow FF seats out there, which is great for travel, of course.  My son loved the cup holders :)  The only thing I did not like was how close together the harness straps are.  They rubbed my son's neck, which bothered him.  I made the parental choice (possibly not the officially CPST-approved choice...) to put harness covers over the straps from another car seat.  I adjusted the Maestro's straps to fit my child well, then added the covers.

An added bonus... a Maestro will run you only about $75. 

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 PM

Renting is not a good idea, sorry. How old is your DS? Two like your sig says and 40lbs? A Maestro is probably going to be your lightest weight and most affordable option, but you're right in saying he'll need a Frontier eventually if keeps up this pace!

Perhaps you could sell it at that end, in advance? And arrange for someone to meet you at the train station to pick it up, rather than bringing it back?

The Frontier and Nautilus are both BIG heavy seats, I wouldn't try to travel with either of them. In the end, buying a Maestro is probably your best bet.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#4 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'd invest in a maestro or a ride safer travel vest if he'll be 3 by the trip.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 PM

I agree, the travel vest is the way to go.  I wouldn't take a seat on a train and long trip; it would just make it harder on yourself. 

CPST & mom

#6 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKinnon View Post

Renting is not a good idea, sorry. How old is your DS? Two like your sig says and 40lbs? A Maestro is probably going to be your lightest weight and most affordable option, but you're right in saying he'll need a Frontier eventually if keeps up this pace!

Yup.  2 and 40 lbs.  That makes life difficult. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

I'd invest in a maestro or a ride safer travel vest if he'll be 3 by the trip.

Not even going to be 2.5, unfortunately. 

Guess I'll go look at a Maestro. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page