Realisticly, how old can I harness in the Radian? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter will be 4 in Feb. she is currently 38.5" tall and 34 lbs. She is in a Radian and my son is rearfacing in a Marathon. We are going from a van to a 5 passenger vehicle and need to be able to have a third person in the backseat between the carseats (an adult). Originally, we were going to pass the Radian to my son and get my daughter the Graco nautilus or Britax Frontier, however, we now have a space issue. Are there any seats other than the Radian (in Canada) that are narrower than the marathon (harness to booster?). If not, how long would a Radian be likely to fit her harnessed? We are thinking, at this point, that it may be our only option. I would like to keep her harnessed as long as possible.

Thanks!

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.
#2 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM

Most kids fit to 6-7 harnessed in a Radian.  

CPST
#3 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

If the Evenflo Maestro is available in Canada (sorry, I don't know if it is), it has harness slots a good inch taller than the Radian and it's fairly narrow.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

If the Evenflo Maestro is available in Canada (sorry, I don't know if it is), it has harness slots a good inch taller than the Radian and it's fairly narrow.

The Maestro only harnesses to 47lb in Canada. 

#5 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

A 34# 4yo will probably make it to a safe booster size/age in a 47# seat, though.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#6 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

A 34# 4yo will probably make it to a safe booster size/age in a 47# seat, though.

Yup!

CPST
#7 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 05:58 PM

My almost 6 year old weighs 48 pounds and is still harnessed in a radian in DHs car. She also fits wonderfully in the frontier in my car. She is about 1-1.5 cms away from being out of the radian harness. She is also fairly tall for her age (96%).

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#8 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM

My almost 7yo is 51" and 55lbs and is just now done with her radian.  I'm ordering a HBB in the next day or two for her.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#9 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DS1 was about 6.5 years old and ~50 lbs when he moved out of his Radian 65.  He still fit in it by height technically (since they say shoulders can be above top strap height in the Radian), but we went ahead and moved him to a HBB not long after his shoulders went above the top strap height.

DD1 is 5.5 years old and still has another 1.5-2 years, at least, in the Radian.  She's more petite than DS1.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#10 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! She is in the 15th percentile, so it looks like she may be able to make it to 7 in the Radian, which is what we were hoping. Then we can transfer her into a narrow highback booster.

The maestro will be too wide to have an adult in the backseat, so sadly that wont work.

Thanks again!

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page