HELP! Can't get a tight install with Complete Air. What am I doing wrong? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've tried installing the CA in one of the middle row captains chairs in my Honda Odyssey using LATCH, and I cannot for the life of me get it tight enough.  I'm a pretty strong person (built lots of upper body strength from lugging around my 35 pound son), but no matter how hard I tug on the LATCH belt, it's not enough for a solid install.  The seat still moves several inches side to side.  

Now, I'm certainly no car seat expert, but I have installed my fair share of car seats in my six years as a parent, but I cannot figure this one out.  The seats I've installed in the past have alway had a latch belt on each side though making it really easy to tighten.  This is the first seat I've used that has a belt that goes across the seat and can only be tightened on one side. Is there some trick to this or what? Or do I just need to use the seat belt?  

#2 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 AM

RF or FF?  If RF, have you tried putting a noodle or tightly rolled towel under the foot end of the seat?

There's no reason that you shouldn't use the seat belt to install it.  Sometimes LATCH is easier, sometimes not.  For instance, my Radian installs just perfectly FF with the belt in my CR-V in about a minute flat, but not as easily with LATCH.  And when I used a Maestro in a relative's car, the way the LATCH connectors hit the car seat made it difficult to install well.  However, using the belt was a cinch.

LATCH is not safer than a seat belt.  Whichever method gives you the best install is safest!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 AM

It's just a matter of getting the correct angle, so you're not leveraging the force you're using counterproductively against the LATCH or seatbelt buckle adjuster.  

If you're installing rear facing, pull up the cover on that corner of the seat and pull the LATCH tail through the opening so you're working WITH the adjuster instead of against it. 

Rolled towels/pool noodles are only for getting the correct rear facing angle, not for achieving a tight installation.

CPST
#4 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm trying to install it rear-facing.  Thanks for the input.  I'll go out in a bit and try your suggestion Maedze.  If that doesn't work, I might have to go with the seatbelt. I know rationally it's just as safe if used correctly, but for some reason I just feel better using LATCH.  Seems more idiot-proof.   I guess I could always go get it checked at the fire station.  

#5 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Only if your fire station has Child Passenger Safety Technicians.  Not all do...(most don't.)

CPST
#6 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Luckily there are a few in town that do, but I they only do checks on certain days.  Come to think of it, Saturday morning is one of them.  I better get cracking!

#7 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

If you're installing rear facing, pull up the cover on that corner of the seat and pull the LATCH tail through the opening so you're working WITH the adjuster instead of against it. 

Removing the corner of the cover, feeding the part you pull on under where it routes and pulling across the seat is the trick to get a tight rfing install with the CA.  Never gotten one without doing that.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page