Pitbull moved into apartment building - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

In my neighborhood you are way more likely to be attacked by a pit bull. They are bred around here- with breeds such as Gotti.

I really feel for people who live in areas that have exploded with pitbull breeding.  I also feel for the dogs who also have no choice in the matter.  They are dogs who were breed to be with their people not to live in packs of their own kind.  I would be nervous, just as I would be nervous if so many morons were breeding any powerful dog.  

#62 of 86 Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Or would you go directly to the landlords?

Nope I'm not that kind of gal.

That kind of gal?  What kind would that be?

#63 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

I think you have a very strong case of 'delusional fear outweighing capability for rational thought' here.  

Delusional? Um...no. Now you're just being nasty because I don't agree that pit bulls are wonderful amazing sweet dogs. I don't like them. I don't want one, and I don't care to be around them. Particularly when I have my young son with me.

Mostly I like dogs (but only when I know them, or they are owned by someone I know). I don't like being approached by random dogs, which I don't think is so terrible, and I'm not interested in being around dogs that when they do bite, a stick is required to get them to let go. I don't know why thats so difficult for you to understand.

#64 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 AM

Case in point I went out on my front porch this morning and there was a man walking a pit bull with a rope. Not a leash I white rope.  He was very big and white. We live in front of the housing project for what its worth- but they are all over town.

I also want to say I once cleaned for a lady whose husband was a pharmacist who had 4 pit bulls all at the same time.

that was scary to me.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#65 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Uh... I just saw a vato walking a chiuaua... He he he!  He looked awesome!  

Pits can be decent.  Chows are evil.  My beagle will eat anyone.  And all dogs have a tendency to be assholes.  Pits have a bad reputation.  And if the owners want the reputation changed they need to change.  Here most dogs are kept outside, it's cultural.  And quite a few are kept for Protection also cultural. 

ALL DOGS CAN BE BAD!  I've been bitten by a poodle and a rat terrier.  My Beagle attacked a jogger and a stupid kid that would not listed to me when I told him not to pet my dog.  Still put his hand in my car and pet my dog... No these dogs didn't kill anyone, but they still were aggressive. 

The point is they should not have brought the dog in a housing complex that does not allow them.   They should have heeded and respected their lease.  If the OP doesn't turn them in someone else will.  They have a shared yard and who know, maybe they'll get a case of the lazies and let the dog out one day in the yard and OP won't know. 

It's a shared yard!  In a no pet complex!  How could that even be debated?

#66 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 AM

yeahthat.gif

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#67 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

That kind of gal?  What kind would that be?

I don't run to the authorites when I have issues with someone. Instead I take a more direct approach and try to communicate my concerns about the issue. I do not like it when people do things behind my back and would rather be confonted than find out about a problem from a third party. 

In this instance I would approach the dog owner regarding the whining and suggest they have someone walk the dog while they are at work. I would also mention to the person that I was under the impression that the building was no-pet (some landlords have pet addendums to leases) and that they could get evicted if the landlord chose to inforce that.

be good family...

#68 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Hon, it's pretty clear that you have a paranoia, and paranoia isn't rational.  You don't need a bite stick.  It's fine not to want to be approached by strange dog.  I don't care to either.  But to fly off the handle and make silly evaluations that are simply inaccurate doesn't add credence to your point of view.   Not liking dogs is not the same thing as 'particular kinds of dogs are bad'.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Delusional? Um...no. Now you're just being nasty because I don't agree that pit bulls are wonderful amazing sweet dogs. I don't like them. I don't want one, and I don't care to be around them. Particularly when I have my young son with me.

Mostly I like dogs (but only when I know them, or they are owned by someone I know). I don't like being approached by random dogs, which I don't think is so terrible, and I'm not interested in being around dogs that when they do bite, a stick is required to get them to let go. I don't know why thats so difficult for you to understand.

CPST
#69 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

I don't run to the authorites when I have issues with someone. Instead I take a more direct approach and try to communicate my concerns about the issue. I do not like it when people do things behind my back and would rather be confonted than find out about a problem from a third party. 

Well that sort of skirted the question, but I don't think many of us automatically "run to the authorities" when we have issues with someone.  I've just found your method to be generally ineffective when it comes to dog owners, so I don't do things that I've found don't work.  

#70 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM

WOW really?  I mean really?  I take a break from this thread to yobogoya and it's turned into something ugly. 

#71 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

Hon, it's pretty clear that you have a paranoia, and paranoia isn't rational.  You don't need a bite stick.  It's fine not to want to be approached by strange dog.  I don't care to either.  But to fly off the handle and make silly evaluations that are simply inaccurate doesn't add credence to your point of view.   Not liking dogs is not the same thing as 'particular kinds of dogs are bad'.   

Don't be condescending. It's rude, and has no place here. I'm not paranoid - I just hate pit bulls. Just like some people hate cats. I also didn't fly off the handle. I just hate pit bulls. They are unpredictable.

#72 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM

I am a pit mommy and I understand your fears and worries of having one close to your children. I Love my dogs and I know they wouldn't hurt anyone, but we raised them from pups with kids in the house so my dogs are very well behaved and used to kids being loud and climbing all over them. Some pits are amazing around adults and sketchy around children. Even the best dogs in the world will have a tendency to turn on anyone for any reason, unfortunately the only ones that make the news are pitbulls. If you as a parent feel that your children's safety may be at risk then you can call and have them removed, if you do that just remember to call a no kill shelter please, They won't keep Pit's longer then a week (in some states, sometimes only a few days) before they euthanize them. Your family and children come first without a doubt... So many people forget that it doesn't matter if the Pit is the sweetest dog ever or the meanest, since it is a type of breed they will kill it if no one claims it or adopts it right away. 

#73 of 86 Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Don't be condescending. It's rude, and has no place here. I'm not paranoid - I just hate pit bulls. Just like some people hate cats. I also didn't fly off the handle. I just hate pit bulls. They are unpredictable.

I'd have to say I think you are paranoid too. 

alegna likes this.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#74 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 AM

I don't see anything "paranoid" or irrational about being suspicious of a particular type of dog that has the physical capability of killing people, especially small children, and statistically speaking is more likely to do so than most other types of dogs.  shrug.gif  Unless the suspicion was negatively affecting someone's life (like she wouldn't leave her house for fear of running into a Pit Bull or Rottweiler or whatever), I really don't see this as a problem and actually think some good could come of it.

thegoodearth and DoubleDouble like this.
#75 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

I don't see anything "paranoid" or irrational about being suspicious of a particular type of dog that has the physical capability of killing people, especially small children, and statistically speaking is more likely to do so than most other types of dogs.  shrug.gif  Unless the suspicion was negatively affecting someone's life (like she wouldn't leave her house for fear of running into a Pit Bull or Rottweiler or whatever), I really don't see this as a problem and actually think some good could come of it.

Thanks. I still don't understand why people think I should be totally cool with strange LARGE or pit bull dogs approaching me and my young son while we are out and about. I get that those of you on THIS thread are probably good dog owners (but one of you at least has had a pit bull actually bite you and has not gotten rid of it), but I don't know how good a dog owner is just by looking at them. How am I supposed to tell? Are there certain visible traits that dog owners have that would tell me if they are responsible or not?

I like dogs for the most part, I'm just careful about dogs that I do not know personally (of ALL BREEDS), or whose owners I do not know personally. Pit Bulls are known for being unpredictable, and when they do bite, they usually cause severe injury - unlike a toy poodle who might break the skin, but who has little to no hope of killing or maiming someone (but really, I don't want to get bitten by ANY dog, nor do I want my son to get bitten by ANY dog).  FWIW, my son doesn't mind dogs, but he doesn't like dogs coming up to him either because the big ones are bigger than he is and it makes him nervous. If a dog was bigger than me it would make me nervous too.

#76 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 AM

Tolerance has gone beyond reason.  Sometimes, judgement and caution are healthy.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#77 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM

I think my issue is that people seem to be deliberately obtuse.  SSM- why do you think that anyone wants you to be cool with strange dogs coming up to you and your son.  You keep saying that and I don't see where anyone has told you you ought to be.  You also keep taking things I say and twisting them to support your ideas.  I am not going to kill my dog because she hasn't been fed treats and doesn't know how to take them yet without getting fingers.  If you seriously think that putting her down for that rather than working with her is appropriate than I do think you're being delusional.  

Pits aren't naturally unpredictable they have been mass produced to the point where I think they are 80% of the dog population in some areas (i read that somewhere i have no stats) and people are trying to make protection dogs out of them which goes against their nature. Something needs to be done but BSL is not the answer they will just pick a different breed to trash and I can't imagine the horror if a less people friendly breed got the pit treatment.  Dangerous dog laws would be much more easy to enforce and more effective.

OP- sorry this went so far off course.  Did you end up talking to your neighbors?

#78 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRootsStarSoul View Post

There are always warning signs before a dog attack.  The problem is people don't recognize or ignore the dog's red-flag behaviors.  The red flags can be present for years before a bite happens. 

This post seems to be saying that i should be able to recognize behavior indicative of a dog attack (I know that this particular poster agreed that I, not a dog owner, should not be required to know these behavioral warnings - dog owners SHOULD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post

I would be super peeved about the noisy, waking up kid stuff and I would talk to the people about that and how long the dog was staying.  I would also want to know if the dog had been temperament tested and how that went and what work were they doing with the dog to make sure it was socialized to children...in case it ever did get out.

I have two rescue pits who are five years old.  My male I've had since he was 10 months old and my female I've only had for 2 months.  The male had been in a home, was fixed early and knew basic commands.  The female was loose in San Antonio and emaciated nursing her umpteenth litter.  She knew no commands at all and it seems she may have always been a stray or maybe yard dog.  It's possible she was used as a breeding dog by someone who didn't treat her as a pet.  They are both very sweet and people oriented.  My male is used to treats and being handed and has that soft mouth common to bird dogs.  The female bit the crap out of my hand when I was handing out meat the other day.  She doesn't know how to take a treat...so I will be working in that.  The whole line that it's all about the owner doesn't fly for me.  Pits are incredibly resilient and can withstand horrible abuse without losing their love of people.  They are also breed incredibly irresponsibly now and you can have one that everything was right for and they are wired wrong and unfixable.  They are one of the friendlier (to people not other dogs) breeds but if they are people aggressive (unacceptable breed trait and the dog should be put down IMO) or have a strong prey drive and aren't socialized to children they are very dangerous.  Their jaws don't lock but they are very muscular and it may take a break stick (like a broom handle) to get them to let go.  I would NEVER adopt from a breeder and I really think there should not be any breeding for a long time.  There are way too many pits and they are being breed for looks vs temperament now a lot of the time.  A pit should not ever ever weigh 90+ pounds.  

I think all dogs should be temperament tested and landlords should only allow dogs that do well.  It's also important to note that they reach adulthood later than small breeds and can change significantly between 2 and 3.  My male never raised his leg until almost 3 and was great at the dog park until a little after 2.  I would never take him now as he may be dominate aggressive with other dogs.  They become senior sometime 8-10 and can become senile and have behavior changes.  I would give any pit the same cautiousness I have for any animal that could kill me.  Lots of dogs have the ability to kill me and I am cautious of all of them.

You said that she BIT THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR HAND. Your words, not mine. If I was giving a dog food, and they BIT THE CRAP OUT OF my hand, yes, they would be put down. What if it had been your CHILD giving food to the dog? And your childs hand had gotten the CRAP bitten out of it? Again, the dog wouldn't live another day. You also said that you have 2 dogs, and the male cannot go to the dog park because he is dominant aggressive with other dogs - so why do you have another? And if he's aggressive with other dogs, he could become aggressive with people. This is why I don't like pit bulls - their owners seem to think that THEIR babies are the exception to the rule. "My dog would NEVER bite a person! He's GREAT with kids! But he can't go to the dog park because he's aggressive towards other dogs, so I got him a friend to keep at home! It's all good, hopefully my kids never get in the middle of them! :)"

Then again, I am not a dog owner for a reason. I don't want to deal with animals that bite. I'm not interested.

As for temperment testing, I highly doubt your dog would have done well.

#79 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM

I am shocked by the support of pit bulls. It's insane- I am wondering if these mamas live in upper class neighborhoods- cause here- they are aggressive and not safe animals to have roaming around.

#80 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

I am shocked by the support of pit bulls. It's insane- I am wondering if these mamas live in upper class neighborhoods- cause here- they are aggressive and not safe animals to have roaming around.

But the thing is it isn't safe to have any dogs roaming a neighborhood loose - danger is not exclusive to pit bulls. Even medium sized dogs can do damage to a human if they are frightened/angry enough.
EarthRootsStarSoul likes this.
#81 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 PM

but not kill them most likely- at least I have not heard of it like I hear of it around here...

#82 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM

I do not understand what you are referencing with the first quote.

She bit my hand because she does not know how to take things with a soft mouth not because she is aggressive in any way.  My male uses a soft mouth perfectly because he knows that's how it's done.  I was trying to explain that soft mouth is not some biological miracle seen only in bird dogs.  My kids arent allowed to feed her at this point so it would not have been their fingers.  Both of the dogs have been evaluated and are stable, wonderful dogs even though they were raised in very different environments because pits are very often resilient like that.  Dog aggression is a completely normal breed trait and has NOTHING to do with human aggression my male is NOT dog aggressive and was dog friendly as a juvenile but became dog tolerant as he entered adulthood, meaning he still enjoys playing but gets very grouchy if other dogs are dominant to him and he will retaliate.   My new dog was tested with my current dog and my kids (separately and together) before she came home and was picked partly because she is pretty submissive and very dog friendly.  I don't care if you like dogs or not and with your views I'm glad you don't keep dogs.  

#83 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Yes!  Imagine a protection breed being over produced and running in packs.  It's a problem but not a problem of the breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

But the thing is it isn't safe to have any dogs roaming a neighborhood loose - danger is not exclusive to pit bulls. Even medium sized dogs can do damage to a human if they are frightened/angry enough.

#84 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM

T2009

I understand that you arent big on pets so you probably arent truly knowledgeable about different breeds.(( which is totally fine btw im not judging)) Unless this animal gives you a reason to fear it you should honestly consider it harmless just as you would a golden retriever. Pitts as far as loyalty and human companionship go are ranked at the same level as golden retrievers by the akc. I would believe that nothing you have heard about the breed is true... They are significantly over hyped . If the humans caring for the dog are not fighting it and assuming you do not have a dog on your own i would truly not fear this animal. You should of course be precautious about your children being left unattended with the dog just as you would for any breed but very honestly you have no reason to fear or feel this dog is different than any other breed.

If you have your own dog you should pay extra attention to that though as pitts do have a tendancy to be animal aggresssive,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EarthRootsStarSoul likes this.
#85 of 86 Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

OK, well if we are talking about packs of stray pit bulls roaming loose on the streets, that is a whole different ball of wax than a well-trained, family-raised pit bull.  Packs of feral dogs start acting a lot more like wolves than dogs. 

And what's with the comment about upper class neighborhoods?  No, I live in a small town in Wisconsin.  No one makes a lot of money, we all seem to just barely get by.  It's too cold here for dogs to live outside unless they are huskies or such.  Maybe that's why all the pits around here are so friendly and socialized--they live with their people. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#86 of 86 Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Wow, I haven't been on in a while & didn't realize this thread continued for so long.

Thank you for all the thoughts & advice -- You all really gave me a lot to think about & a lot of perspective... Yes, I'm not a pet person, so my knowledge is far from complete! But I'm sympathetic.

We spoke to the neighbors (I really didn't want to get them in trouble with the landlords if it was truly a temporary thing). The told us about the dog & it's behavior around people & kids in the neighborhood (on walks, etc.). The neighbor even said she was very conscious of our little guy & always waited for us to enter/exit the building if she heard us & was with the dog. Very considerate. And she said the whining was because they were crate-training (not neglect) to help place the dog, which I can understand. I saw the dog a couple times & it was very obedient, very non-agressive seeming.

And then, the dog is gone. Haven't seen the neighbor since, but I'm hoping it's in a good home.

A good teaching moment for my son -- not to go near strange dogs. And for me to learn about pit bulls & breeds & such from you all. Thanks!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page