Convertible or Infant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone,

Haven't done any research yet, just thought I would come to you experienced car seaters first.

Is there a difference in safety between an infant car seat and a convertible? We would like to get a Diono for our upcoming baby, and am curious, although they say for 5lbs + up, if there is any benefit to an infant seat. Besides the bucket - stroller thing.

Please share your experiences. Thanks all!

#2 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In harsh climates, it's often nice to no have to take the infant out of a carseat.

some buckets are smaller and fit in vehicles better when in the very reclined newborn recline.

overall many skip the bucket, but not a safety issue.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM

An infant seat is no safer than a convertible. 

Not all convertibles rated for newborns actually *fit* newborns.  However, Diono, with the added infant insert, does. 

Some people prefer the convenience of the infant carrier for the early months. 

And a BIG caveat is that you need to be sure you get get the convertible at a full 45 degree angle in your vehicle.  Newborns need that angle and that is frequently not possible particularly with large seats and small cars. 

CPST
#4 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!

#5 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

An infant seat is no safer than a convertible. 

Not all convertibles rated for newborns actually *fit* newborns.  However, Diono, with the added infant insert, does.

That's what I was going to say.  Some car seats even if they say 5lbs would never fit typical newborn, let alone a 5lb baby.  Britax, at least 3 years ago, convertible car seats definitely do not work from birth, I even took pictures of my son when he was around 7lbs in one, just because it is so ridiculously too big for a tiny baby.  But a lot of others do, so just make sure you get one that really would work with a newborn.  For what it's worth, I don't think I ever took our infant carrier out of the car with 2 out of our 4 kids, but they were spring babies, so by the time it was cold they were older.  I agree that sometimes it's nice to take the infant carrier inside with you when it is really cold out, we did that a few times with our other 2, who were both born in the late summer/early fall.  

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#6 of 9 Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 PM

Because the infant seats that have a base and removable seat, they have two places were the seat can detach from the car. That means there are more points of failure. That worries me. We chose a convertible for that reason. Our son was tiny in it when we first brought him home from the hospital but he was safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

[...] you need to be sure you get get the convertible at a full 45 degree angle in your vehicle.  Newborns need that angle and that is frequently not possible particularly with large seats and small cars. 

Yes ^^

This is an important factor. So even with what I said above, it would make more sense to get an infant seat if you have a small car (like the one I have). Otherwise, in trying to make room for the proper angle, you can end up with a very uncomfotable seat position for the front seats.

I can definitely see the convenience factor of the seats that detach. And they say that the most important thing is to choose a carseat that you will use correctly, despite any other issues. So by all means, just choose whatever suits you and your life!

#7 of 9 Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

Because the infant seats that have a base and removable seat, they have two places were the seat can detach from the car. That means there are more points of failure. That worries me. We chose a convertible for that reason. Our son was tiny in it when we first brought him home from the hospital but he was safe.

Yes ^^

This is an important factor. So even with what I said above, it would make more sense to get an infant seat if you have a small car (like the one I have). Otherwise, in trying to make room for the proper angle, you can end up with a very uncomfotable seat position for the front seats.

I can definitely see the convenience factor of the seats that detach. And they say that the most important thing is to choose a carseat that you will use correctly, despite any other issues. So by all means, just choose whatever suits you and your life!

Car seats are rigorously tested against failure, so I think its inaccurate to say that since the car seat detaches, there is a higher rate of failure. It's simply factually not true. All car seats are subject to human error, and can fail based on your ability to install it correctly and strap the kid in. Leading people to believe that infant seats have "more points of failure" isn't any more true than convertible seats have any less.

The advantage to an infant seat is that if you're going to have a small baby, there's a larger amount of seats that are compatible for small babies. There are convertibles that fit newborns well, as Maedze said, but if you were going to do it I wouldn't suggest the Radian. That seat is very long and having it at 45 degrees will take up a massive amount of space in your car. Radians are great seats and are great for their longevity, but if you want a Radian in the long run, I'd start with an infant seat for the period where you need it totally reclined. There are other seats that fit newborns really well and don't take up a ton of room, if you do decide to go that route. The Combi Coccoro fits babies 3lbs-33lbs RF, and the way it's designed allows the seat to be rather upright because the incline is done on the inside of the seat's construction. It should last you 2 years and then you'd have to get a larger seat to RF, but it wouldn't have to be at 45 degrees.

I personally like an infant seat. They fit little babies well. It's nice not to have to wake up sleeping babies to go grocery shopping, run out to friends' houses, etc. I also loved the infant seat for going out to restaurants and having somewhere to put the baby while you eat. If you get a convertible seat, you'll be babywearing a lot, which might be great, but you also might hate it. If you buy an infant seat, you'll at least have the option of carrying the baby in the seat if the occasion is right.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#8 of 9 Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow. I have never even thought of that! It definitely could be a possibility right??

My main goal is keeping baby safe and not having to buy multiple seats.

I rarely kept my dd in her bucket, as I mostly wore her. But it was nice to have it as her "space"

I will look into the Coccoro..

#9 of 9 Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM

No, it's really nothing to worry about, I promise.   The seat is not going to detach and the seat is not going to fail.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovemama View Post

Wow. I have never even thought of that! It definitely could be a possibility right??

My main goal is keeping baby safe and not having to buy multiple seats.

I rarely kept my dd in her bucket, as I mostly wore her. But it was nice to have it as her "space"

I will look into the Coccoro..

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page