Rear facing toddler and infant - placement in carseats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering what the best placement is for a rear facing toddler (will be close to 3) and an infant in the back seat? I drive a CR-V so not super small but not a mini van. Right now we have DD in the middle rear facing (she's 2). She's been in the same convertible since birth but I'm pretty sure we can't fit 2 rear facing convertibles and not have a front seat pushed waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy up. So, we're thinking a bucket seat for a new baby. Is it a good idea to leave DD where she is and put the baby to one side? I think I read a recommendation that this might not be safe if toddler throws or drops something on baby.

What do others do?

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM

When you're talking two rear facing seats, do whatever is most convenient for you.   If you want to get legalistic, since they're both rear facing, you would put the baby in the middle because the baby is more fragile (if the older child were forward facing you'd want the older child in the middle.)

That being said, a rear facing infant seat takes up more front to back room than an upright rear facing convertible, so you may want to move the toddler behind a front seat and put the baby in the middle.  

And, alternatively, you may find you can't get them to fit next to each other (which is the  most likely scenario).  In that case you put them both outboard. 

CPST
#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I never had a problem with my son sitting next to his infant sister when we temporarily had the seats arranged with one center, one outboard.  We only did it though when we needed to seat an adult in the back seat as well. For the most part we put the baby bucket behind the passenger seat since it took up so much extra room, and the other RF seat behind the driver at a more upright angle.

It is pretty easy to control what is in your toddler's hands while in a car seat so if you are concerned, just don't give him or her anything for the ride. 

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM

I have a CRV and had 2 RF kids.  What year CR-V?  What seat is your daughter in?

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

xekomaya: I'm not that worried about my DD...just being paranoid redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

I have a CRV and had 2 RF kids.  What year CR-V?  What seat is your daughter in?

It's an older one - 1998. DD is in a True Fit Convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

When you're talking two rear facing seats, do whatever is most convenient for you.   If you want to get legalistic, since they're both rear facing, you would put the baby in the middle because the baby is more fragile (if the older child were forward facing you'd want the older child in the middle.)

Hmmm I had heard that the "least protected" child should go in the middle and that rear facing convertibles are less protective than rear facing infant seats. However, that doesn't mention age of child so maybe that changes it?

#6 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen358 View Post

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

xekomaya: I'm not that worried about my DD...just being paranoid redface.gif

It's an older one - 1998. DD is in a True Fit Convertible.

Hmmm I had heard that the "least protected" child should go in the middle and that rear facing convertibles are less protective than rear facing infant seats. However, that doesn't mention age of child so maybe that changes it?

You're right about the first part (least protected child in the most protected position) but you heard wrong about the second part.  Convertibles are absolutely NOT less protective than infant seats.  Both are equally protective assuming the convertible is rear facing.   However, if they are both facing the same way, the older child is better equipped to survive an accident unharmed than the newborn, so in this particular incidence the infant is less protected. 

CPST
#7 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know! Thank you! I was skeptical about a convertible being any less protective so it's nice to hear someone else validate that :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page