Need help with rear facing in mazda5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. I need some help here. We just bought a 2007 Mazda5. We have a 4 year old in a Nautilus and a rear facing almost 2 year old (about 25lb). We need the drivers seat to be all the way back and my husband likes it to be a bit reclined. The seats we have available are an older Radian which rear faces to 30lb and a newish scenera (rf to 35lb). I installed the scenera using the latch and one noodle and it is rock solid. It's not at 45% though and I'm confused about whether that's OK or not. The drivers seat is not touching the scenera but only has about 5mm to spare. Is that OK?

I know I could get the angle adjuster and use the radian but I only have 5lb to play with and as we're in Canada, I don't even know if I could get it here. Does anyone know if it works out in a mazda5?

I could put the rear facing child behind the passenger but my 4 year old can't stop putting his feet on the seat and I think that would by so annoying for the driver that it would actually be dangerous. 

Here's a picture. After I took it I discovered I could recline the seat more without it technically touching. 

IMG_1815.jpg
#2 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Eh... I think that passanger seat can go back further.   Or you can put down the bucket seat and use one of the back seats.  You'd be pulling the kid out from the rear though.  Seriously I've done it.  I fit three carseats in mine.  Took me an hour to get them in right and safely. 

Otherwise I think it looks fine but I can only tell so much from the picture.

#3 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Dorel technically requires that their seats be a full 45 degrees reclined, but also says they pass testing at 30.  Do with that what you will. LOL

The Angle Adjuster is fine for Canada and 5 lbs could be another year of growth if that's a route you want to pursue.  

CPST
#4 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For a two year old as upright as 30 degrees is fine.  It's actually safer for older rfing children to be more upright, the 45 degree thing is just so newborns don't have their airways obstructed.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM

The angle adjuster works really well in the 5 (even lets you put a RFing Radian in the third row!).  I'd go that route just because I don't care for the Scenera at all.  If you don't mind it, your current set up is fine.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#6 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 PM

(Oh, alternatively, I'd just train your four year old to keep his feet down.   The danger from having them up against the seat is pretty minimal.)

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page