overwhelmed by picking a seat! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
AKislandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there someplace that compares a bunch of different seats? I'm feeling overwhelmed! It has been a few years since I have looked at this.

 

Maybe you wise Mama's can help me out!

 

We drive a subaru forester.

 

dd1 is 3 and weighs 27 pounds. She is RF in a britax boulevard. I think our seat RF's to 35 pounds. (I think newer models have a higher weight limit- is that correct?)

 

dd2 is 4 months and 14 pounds in a infant bucket seat- A snugride.

 

In a few months (once winter is over!) we'll get a new seat for dd2 OR switch her to dd1's seat and get a new seat for the big girl. It is important for me to keep them RF. I'm just feeling confused on what to do. My older girl is pretty tiny for her age so she still has a long time to reach 35 pounds. I suspect she will outgrow the height before she comes close to the weight limit.

 

Thanks for your help and ideas!


Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif
 

AKislandgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
 
DahliaRW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near the beautiful Cascades!
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)


I would move the baby to dd1s seat and get a taller rfing seat for her if you want to keep her rfing longer.  Fot hat I'd look at the radians, the complete air, or the true fit.  They all have nice tall shells.  The tf only rfs to 35lbs, but that will easily get your dd1 beyond 4 years.  The newer Britax seats do rf to 40lbs, but the shells are shorter.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

Is there someplace that compares a bunch of different seats? I'm feeling overwhelmed! It has been a few years since I have looked at this.

 

Maybe you wise Mama's can help me out!

 

We drive a subaru forester.

 

dd1 is 3 and weighs 27 pounds. She is RF in a britax boulevard. I think our seat RF's to 35 pounds. (I think newer models have a higher weight limit- is that correct?)

 

dd2 is 4 months and 14 pounds in a infant bucket seat- A snugride.

 

In a few months (once winter is over!) we'll get a new seat for dd2 OR switch her to dd1's seat and get a new seat for the big girl. It is important for me to keep them RF. I'm just feeling confused on what to do. My older girl is pretty tiny for her age so she still has a long time to reach 35 pounds. I suspect she will outgrow the height before she comes close to the weight limit.

 

Thanks for your help and ideas!



 


Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
DahliaRW is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 AM
 
chickabiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I agree in general with Dahlia, but note that in general, Radians and Subarus do not get along very well.  (I've owned and liked both, so that's not a criticism, just an observation -- and one that many other CPSTs have observed as well.)


Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
chickabiddy is online now  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
AKislandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards getting a new seat for the older girl and putting a the baby in her sisters seat. Shoot about compatibility though! I wanted to do the Radian. Hmm... I'll have to look into this a little further.


Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif
 

AKislandgirl is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
 
DahliaRW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near the beautiful Cascades!
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

I agree in general with Dahlia, but note that in general, Radians and Subarus do not get along very well.  (I've owned and liked both, so that's not a criticism, just an observation -- and one that many other CPSTs have observed as well.)



Ah, yes, forgot about that.  They work ok with LATCH install, but belt installs are impossible.


Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
DahliaRW is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
AKislandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have latch so maybe it would work. it's an 09 forester if that means anything to either of you. I just read somewhere (can't remember) that some people said they couldn't get it rear facing and still allow enough room for the driver to have their seat back far enough. Agh! I wish every seat was just compatible and I didn't have to think about this so much!


Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif
 

AKislandgirl is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 PM
 
DahliaRW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near the beautiful Cascades!
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

We have latch so maybe it would work. it's an 09 forester if that means anything to either of you. I just read somewhere (can't remember) that some people said they couldn't get it rear facing and still allow enough room for the driver to have their seat back far enough. Agh! I wish every seat was just compatible and I didn't have to think about this so much!



You can get the angle adjuster from diono that makes it more upright and that might help.  The only problem you will run into is when your child gets too heavy to install with latch, then the seat will be useless in your vehicle.  Just something to keep in mind.

 


Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
DahliaRW is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off