standard when to turn ff question again! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am sure this question comes up on here all the time and if I weren't feeling lazy I could google it or search mdc- but since I am feeling very lazy I will ask it again!!

How do I know the right time to turn ds to forward facing in his car seat? He is 23 months and we have a Britax roundabout- still rear facing. The problem is that his legs now seem to be getting scrunched. I forget his exact height right now but I kow he is around 30 lbs and on the tall side somewhat. So I think  perhaps his legs are getting uncomfortable and dont have enough rm to stretch out at this point. Does this mean I should turn him forward facing? I am kind of nervous to forward face him and don't want to do it prematurely. thanks

#2 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, it absolutely doesn't mean he should be turned forward facing.   "Legs scrunched" is an issue of parent perception, NOT an issue of safety and rarely an issue of child comfort.  (Parents incorrectly assume their children are uncomfortable.)

In fact, it's so very important for him to continue to remain rear facing that I would rather see you buy an entirely different car seat than turn him forward facing.   Two years is a baseline bare minimum for forward facing, three and four is a much better and more physiologically accurate goal.   

Your seat has a rear facing limit is 35 lbs and I highly suggest you take advantage of every last ounce.  That should get you close to three, or more :-) 

CPST
#3 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In addition to what Maedze said, his seat is also outgrown rfing when there is less than 1" of hard shell above his head.  A lot of kids outgrow their seats by height before weight.  At that point it's a new seat or ffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

No, it absolutely doesn't mean he should be turned forward facing.   "Legs scrunched" is an issue of parent perception, NOT an issue of safety and rarely an issue of child comfort.  (Parents incorrectly assume their children are uncomfortable.)

In fact, it's so very important for him to continue to remain rear facing that I would rather see you buy an entirely different car seat than turn him forward facing.   Two years is a baseline bare minimum for forward facing, three and four is a much better and more physiologically accurate goal.   

Your seat has a rear facing limit is 35 lbs and I highly suggest you take advantage of every last ounce.  That should get you close to three, or more :-) 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Google photos of extended rear facing, so you can get an idea of what it looks like for bigger kids. They usually cross their legs or dangle them off of the sides.

One thing that helped me keep my kids RFing even when their legs were bent like that was a question I came across online somewhere. Someone was asking if it's safe in an accident to have their legs bent or criss crossed. The answer was, "In a bad accident, it's possible that it could break their legs. But if they were FFing in that same accident, it's possible they could break their necks. Which would you rather, your child having a broken leg or a broken neck?"

Kind of gruesome and shocking, I know, but it has often run through my mind when I've been tempted to turn my kids FFing before it's necessary.
#5 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM

You know, I just assumed she had a Roundabout 50 but now I see she says she has a Roundabout.  OP, which seat do you have?  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

In addition to what Maedze said, his seat is also outgrown rfing when there is less than 1" of hard shell above his head.  A lot of kids outgrow their seats by height before weight.  At that point it's a new seat or ffing.

CPST
#6 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM

I've heard a lot of kids are more uncomfortable in their legs while FFing. It makes sense that they would be. Their legs usually aren't long enough for their feet to rest on the car floor. So the weight of their feet and calves causes their thighs to push firmly against the seat, sometimes causing that pins-and-needles or "asleep" feeling caused by reduced circulation. But since kids are so darn flexible (seriously, how are they so flexible??? it baffles me sometimes), their legs being scrunched in RF doesn't bother most of them.

#7 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post

The answer was, "In a bad accident, it's possible that it could break their legs. But if they were FFing in that same accident, it's possible they could break their necks. Which would you rather, your child having a broken leg or a broken neck?"

I hear this a lot, but it is not exactly the full truth.  Kids who are FF have an infinitely greater chance of having leg injuries than RF kids do.  It would be more truthful and more convincing to ask, "Which would you rather choose, having your child's entire body be well-protected, or having him be at great risk for broken legs and a broken neck?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

I've heard a lot of kids are more uncomfortable in their legs while FFing. It makes sense that they would be. Their legs usually aren't long enough for their feet to rest on the car floor. So the weight of their feet and calves causes their thighs to push firmly against the seat, sometimes causing that pins-and-needles or "asleep" feeling caused by reduced circulation. 

This is true for my FF son.  He usually puts his legs over the sides of the car seat in order to rest his feet on the seat of my car.  I've heard of parents putting lightweight foam coolers on the floor to give their kids a place to prop their feet.  Makes sense.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page