Tempurpedic Mattresses and off-gassing! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're in the market for a new mattress.  We really like Tempurpedic beds, but I know they have quite a potent smell when they are new.  Is this safe for co-sleeping with a toddler?  Would it be safe to co-sleep with a newborn in the future?  We would get one of the firmer mattresses, if that makes a difference.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#2 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 AM

As far as tempurpedic mattresses go, off-gasing completely not even on the table, I absolutely would NOT put a newborn on one.  Newborns need a firm mattress.  Even firm Tempurpedic mattresses tend to form a little cocoon around things on top of them. 

sosurreal09 likes this.

CPST
#3 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 AM

We have a natural foam mattress from IKEA it is firm and nothing like the Tempurpedic but it's not full of chemicals. I know they did use a flame retardent though b/c they have to but it was the "safer" one anyway.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#4 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM

I second Maedze... I would definitely not feel comfortable co-sleeping with a newborn on a Tempurpedic, even if there was no off-gassing at all. 

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#5 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

That's not the answer I wanted to hear, but I definitely want to be safe if we have another baby.  Now I need to do more reseasrch on what other mattress to buy!  (I already know to stay away from pillow tops!)

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#6 of 11 Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 PM

We purchased a 2 year old Tempurpedic before baby number 3 was born and it has been great! I obviously can't speak to the initial off-gassing (it has zero odor now), but it is (IMHO) the safest thing to put a newborn on. The Tempur material is completely different than any of the other memory foam mattresses on the market. The material compresses based on weight. My newborn was 10lbs 10oz and she didn't make a dent in it. She laid flat on the surface. I think it's much safer than traditional inner-springs for this very reason.

On a side note, it is so wonderful for co-sleeping because I can move around as much as I need and it never disturbs her or my husband.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#7 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturallove View Post

We purchased a 2 year old Tempurpedic before baby number 3 was born and it has been great! I obviously can't speak to the initial off-gassing (it has zero odor now), but it is (IMHO) the safest thing to put a newborn on. The Tempur material is completely different than any of the other memory foam mattresses on the market. The material compresses based on weight. My newborn was 10lbs 10oz and she didn't make a dent in it. She laid flat on the surface. I think it's much safer than traditional inner-springs for this very reason.

On a side note, it is so wonderful for co-sleeping because I can move around as much as I need and it never disturbs her or my husband.

I agree with naturallove.
You need to check out each bed and not lump all types together. I have a pillow top and never had any concerns.
You need a nice firm surface.
For me, I stay away from older bed, like what your aging relatives might have in a spare room.

I wish all children bed deaths would go into enough detail as to have some research on the causes. I think there is a lot of false info floating around.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 AM

We bought a tempurpedic new. It did Off gass for a short time, but we slept on it that night and had no issues. For cosleeping, I restate what someone upthread said: true tempurpedic matresses compress by weight. Little sister made no dent in it. I think it's much safer than the innerspring matress I was using when my boys were small.

I was hesitant to purchase a tempurpedic, both due to the initial price and that I wasn't in love with the feel of the matress. But for us, it was the only king size matress we could get up our stairs. I absolutely love my tempurpedic.

I would not worry about cosleeping with a tempurpedic. THe off gassing, while unpleasant for one night, really isn't  a concern.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#9 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Well it will off gas for years just like any other mattress/couch/rug etc when bought new....no matter what.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#10 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Mattresses off-gas for an overage of 10years....well beyond the smelly stage.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 11 Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM

We have been co-sleeping on a Tempurpedic for just over two years now. I think we have the "Classic"? It was the least expensive and the firmest from what I remember.

Pros:

-So comfortable! My chronic back pain is almost nil since getting this mattress (couple with the occasional chiropractic adjustment)

-Pretty firm mattress and our daughter "sinking in" to this particular mattress was never a concern, though I think it could be with a less firm version; liked that it held her gently in place not rolling around.

-If one person rolls over in bed, it will not disturb anyone else. If my husband would just stop snoring I wouldn't even know he was there! 

Cons:

-Contains unknown types of flame retardants and other chemicals. While shopping for a new "non-toxic" sofa I have been learning about the different types of flame retardants which medical studies show can cause cancer, thyroid problems, reproductive issues, etc. (Google PBDE or 'halogenated flame retardants' for starters)

-Expensive.

If I had more $$ or could go back in time I'd probably get a latex mattress untreated with flame retardants. As it stands now I'm toying with the idea or wrapping the Tempurpedic mattress and putting some sort of topper over it to mitigate the "sleeping on plastic" feeling I have heard of anecdotally. 

Now, if I could only figure out a way to wrap all the PBDE-containing electronics in plastic...Oh, what would my mother-in law say then. winky.gif

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page