Can I fit another kid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
DP & I were discussing the possibility of trying for a second baby maybe later this year & all the reasons against. One reason is fitting everyone in our car. We have an older VW passat sport wagon. Behind me is the 18 month old (I honestly can't remember what seat, one of the ones that has the highest height limit) & behind DP is his 13 yr old daughter. She isn't large at all, but not a bean pole either, and I'd prefer not to make her all squished (blended families are delicate & we've managed to avoid most resentment so far). Could this be possible without getting a different car? Thanks!

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please forgive typos

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It might be managed by getting different seats.   Is your baby rear facing?   Some seats are much better for getting three across comfortably than others.    It would be helpful if you could figure out what child restraint you are using.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post

DP & I were discussing the possibility of trying for a second baby maybe later this year & all the reasons against. One reason is fitting everyone in our car. We have an older VW passat sport wagon. Behind me is the 18 month old (I honestly can't remember what seat, one of the ones that has the highest height limit) & behind DP is his 13 yr old daughter. She isn't large at all, but not a bean pole either, and I'd prefer not to make her all squished (blended families are delicate & we've managed to avoid most resentment so far). Could this be possible without getting a different car? Thanks!

CPST
#3 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

We were in bed nursing last night, sorry:) it's a True Fit. And yes, we plan/hope to rear face as long as possible.

#4 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Well, that's a wiiiiiiide seat.  LOL.   No wonder you're worried about being cramped.    I'd try a rear facing Radian for the 18 month old.  You'd be amazed how much space that would open up.

CPST
#5 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! LOL. Now I kinda wish we hadn't been in the middle of a "no way do we want another baby" phase when we bought it!

#6 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The baby could use the TF with the headrest off and the older child in the radian. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 15 Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Yeah, if you want to fit 3 across, you're going to have to lose the TF. 

I have one, and with it in the middle seat position, even my skinny grandmother couldn't climb into the car and still close the door.  It takes up the full half bench in my PT Cruiser.  It's a really wide seat. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 15 Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM

We have 3 across in a VW Jetta, so I am sure that you can do it.  We had 3 radians at one point, but now we have two Radians and a Booster seat.  It is cramped, but doable.

#9 of 15 Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Ill look at the radian if we ever decide to go ahead! Its good to have one obstacle resolved at least. Now if I could just get free daycare wink1.gif

#10 of 15 Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Totally doable.

Since older one is 13 she doesn't need a "seat" so you should be able to fit 2 narrowish carseats with her in a regular seat belt in the back.

When its just you and the kids riding without DH you can just let her ride up front with you. 

#11 of 15 Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 AM

No, she should continue to ride in the back seat regardless of front seat passenger room, at least for several more years.   Children under 15 are at significantly higher danger of serious or fatal injuries in a crash when seated in the front compared to teens 15 and up. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post

Totally doable.

Since older one is 13 she doesn't need a "seat" so you should be able to fit 2 narrowish carseats with her in a regular seat belt in the back.

When its just you and the kids riding without DH you can just let her ride up front with you. 

CPST
#12 of 15 Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

No, she should continue to ride in the back seat regardless of front seat passenger room, at least for several more years.   Children under 15 are at significantly higher danger of serious or fatal injuries in a crash when seated in the front compared to teens 15 and up. 

can you please provide a link to the statistics you're citing?  thanks!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#13 of 15 Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 AM

The study was released by CHOP two years ago.   It involved several years of research.   I am currently looking for a link to the abstract.  I will post it when I find it.  

For future reference, I do not make statements about child passenger safety that are not backed up in fact or research, so it is not necessary to snakily imply that I am making it up.     

You are also, of course, welcome to do a lit search yourself.  

CPST
#14 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

The study was released by CHOP two years ago.   It involved several years of research.   I am currently looking for a link to the abstract.  I will post it when I find it.  

For future reference, I do not make statements about child passenger safety that are not backed up in fact or research, so it is not necessary to snakily imply that I am making it up.     

You are also, of course, welcome to do a lit search yourself.  

Just checking back now- thanks for your response.  I'm not being snarky, either- you're reading that in, and it's not nice of you make that accusation.  I said "please" and "thanks" so if you see my question as snarky you must have a chip on your shoulder.  FWIW  I have two teenagers and a new baby, and I'm surprised at how much the safety recommendations have changed since I was last in the loop.  I want to learn more, and when you use phrases like "significantly higher danger" I assume you're referring to information that is available to the public, and I'm interested in reading more if you've got a link or citation.  I thought front seat readiness was more a weight/height issue than an age issue, but if there's an age/maturity component that I'm overlooking, I'd like to know.

My 13 year old is my height and almost my weight (5'8", 130ish) and my 15 year old is smaller (5'4" 120ish) but both are adult sized.  I was asking for your source because I like to know the hows and whys of relevant info you seem to have, and that I don't understand.  Of course I am "welcome" to do my own research, but is it so offensive to ask someone where they read something?  For crying out loud.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#15 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 03:03 PM

You would be fine with two Radian's.

And with NHTSA, AAP and vehicle manufacturers saying 13 and up is OK in the front, I would absolutely be fine with a 13 year old occasionally in the front. Sure, we would all be safer in the back, and I would prefer that to be my kids primary seated position.

The article in question is referenced here- http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/airbags_teens.html This article says it was in the journal Pediatrics.

The discussion I've heard about it is that when this was done, 7 years ago, it was using air bags that did not have off switches by weight, like the vast majority of current air bags. Their has been a tremendous amount of change in airbags in 7 years. Of course, many older cars on still on road. In fact, both of our cars are older than 7 years! However, in the 7 years since this was released, no one has changed their position. Everyone still says 13. If the recommendations start changing, I would certainly revisit my position. But right now, NHTSA, AAP, the vehicle manufacturers, the CPST curriculum ALL say 13. I'm fine with 13.
Jennyanydots likes this.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page