So this is not safe for a 3.5 year old right? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.britax-roemer.de/auto-kindersitze/auto-kindersitze/kid-plus-sict

I'll fly to Europe in April-March and this is what my sister uses for her same aged son and she said could lend me. But isn't this just a high back booster? Isn't my son way too young for that? He rides in a rear-faced Radian here. I understand to swallow the bitter pill of forward facing, but not even a 5 point harness seems neglectful to me or am I wrong?

I could bring the Radian on the plane for DS to sit in but that is rather uncomfy but I guess I might have to do it. How unsafe exactly is that booster thinig? That strikes me as a seat for 7 year olds.

#2 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Looks like it starts at 33lbs like the turbo booster (30lbs).   most here feel that is a little too young, other countries are different.  I think one mom mentioned a 9m ff in Germany.

I think Sweden might be the only European country that is into extended rf/carseats use.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Many kids can safely use highbacked boosters before age 7, but you're right, according to US standards they are not recommended for 3yos.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

My sister had her son ffacing at 9 months old... She laughs at me for wanting even so much as a 5 point harness! I read a little more and I do not feel safe with that booster for DS. I have two friends with toddlers so I will see if they have an appropriate seat I could borrow, worst case I will take the Radian on the plane instead of the CARES for DS and bribe bribe bribe him to be ok with it (chocolate should do ;) ).

#5 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 AM

An Evenflo Maestro is inexpensive and easy to travel with.  It is a forward-facing seat with a 50# limit and straps taller than a Radian.

#6 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Could you bring the radian and gate-check it like you might with a stroller? Just a thought...

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#7 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

I could gate check it, but it costs $70 to do so either way (no matter where you check it). I think I can just bring the Radian as it won't get dented when DS uses it, but checking it always makes me a little worried cause have you seen how they handle luggage on planes???? 

#8 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Bring the seat and use it on the plane.

#9 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 AM

No, car seats should not be checked as luggage. 

If you're flying a European airline they may well not let you use a car seat on the plane.  I'd grab an RSTV for the trip. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Metis View Post

Could you bring the radian and gate-check it like you might with a stroller? Just a thought...

CPST
#10 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Lufthansa lets you use all car seats on the plane as long as they have the FAA sticker and are on a window seat/not blocking other passengers... Will do that.

#11 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 AM

I know you shouldn't check a car seat as luggage, but is it equally bad to check it at the gate, since those items aren't put in the baggage hold?This is (was?) my plan for an upcoming trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

No, car seats should not be checked as luggage. 

If you're flying a European airline they may well not let you use a car seat on the plane.  I'd grab an RSTV for the trip. 

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#12 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 AM

It is less unsafe to gate-check than to baggage-check, but safest to use the carseat on the plane.

#13 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 AM

It is still unsafe to gate check.  Ask every family that has come away from a trip with their gate checked stroller or car seat damaged beyond use.   

You should only check a car seat if it is packed in its original cardboard box.  

CPST
#14 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM

The issue with the seat is if it's lost. How will you leave the airport in a car without your car seat??

Checking it in the original box is more an option for a pregnant woman, or like my sister who was bringing the car seat to me here. If the car seat had been "rerouted", there wasn't a child who needed it on arrival. 

In Europe, they ff at 6 months and go into boosters at 2 1/2. Extended rfing is impossible except up in Scandinavia. I tried in both France and Germany and I couldn't even order from the same companies who make them! I just used a Radian.

#15 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM

is the radian a model that folds? if so does it fit in the overhead, i thought they did? bring it onboard but stow it and let your boy sit in the seat that he will be happier for the long flight.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#16 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 PM

It does fold, but this doesn't make any sense at all. If anything, the child will be happier and more comfortable in a seat that fits him.   Not to mention, substantially safer.   

Also, bringing a seat onboard and then not using it turns it into a carry on. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

is the radian a model that folds? if so does it fit in the overhead, i thought they did? bring it onboard but stow it and let your boy sit in the seat that he will be happier for the long flight.

CPST
#17 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

It does fold, but this doesn't make any sense at all. If anything, the child will be happier and more comfortable in a seat that fits him.   Not to mention, substantially safer.   

Also, bringing a seat onboard and then not using it turns it into a carry on. 

the OP mentioned that he didn't like staying in his seat and that she would have to bribe him, i simple suggest that she can bring on board to keep it safe and not have to make the kid sit in it for the long flight. its an option, i would not want to fuss with a kids that wanted out of his seat for the whole flight to europe! as for it being a carry on, if the kid has a seat then he also is allowed a carry one

as for "substantially safer" .... than what? the safety of a airplane flight is pretty friggin substantially safe to start off with. i worry about tons of things, that is not one of them and i fly 6-8 times a year. 2x as safe as something that is 99.9999 safe is not really much safer (of course I'm making these numbers up for the point I'm making)

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#18 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 AM

I am really not in the mood to argue with someone who doesn't understand that there is a reason for safety recommendations.   Children under 40 lbs do NOT fit well or safely in lap belts.  

Car seats are used just like seat belts on planes.  If the fasten seatbelt light is on, the child should be appropriately buckled into his restraint.  If the light is not on, the child can be unbuckled.  

The child is only allowed an additional carry on if the seat is USED as a seat, not taking up space in an overhead bin.  

CPST
#19 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 AM

Oh please let's not start the argument about kids on planes and there is no need to sound like your talking down to me. It's a valid position, both of them, and both are legal and accepted my the masses.

As for the car seat, if it was in a bag and within the size limits, who cares the contents of the carry on. The rules on the last plane I was on was that it was a free EXTRA carry on only because it was being used, otherwise it counted against your total allowed carryon count.

#20 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM

My child was much happier and more comfortable seated in her Radian than in the regular airplane seat. It lifts them up so they can see better out the window, or to see the individual movie screens. It also lifts their feet out of the killer "kick zone" if there's a row in front of you. Have him sit in it for take-off and landing and if he's still unhappy, fold it and slide it on the ground. You could also try loosening the straps. A safety compromise? Probably, but a very small one during the "cruise portion" of the flight. 

If you bring it on board as a carry-on, it will count against your carry-on limit, which these days is only 1 bag per person. The Radian fits down the aisle, if you put it on a luggage cart. Too easy to take it to your row. 

#21 of 21 Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Maedze: That is why we have a CARES harness. You attach it to the plane seat and it makes a 4 point harness, much safer than just a lapbelt. That would have been my 1st preference to use on the plane.

Thanks guys, I will bring the Radian. I will have to practice collapsing it and such, what a pain ;) I will put it in the travel bag I have for it to carry it over my shoulder, while I am wearing DD and pulling my carryon (sounds like fun times!).

What shocks me more is that my sister said my nephew weighs a little under 13kg. The referenced booster they use is for kids weighing 15kg or more. I don't understand how people can be so casual about car seat safety when this is statistically the most likely bad thing to happen to you?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page