international plane travel with booster age child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a theoretical question at the moment but one that I will probably need the answer to in about 1 1/2 years. What's the best way to handle the booster situation for international travel? You can't use it in the child's plane seat so is it safer to gate check it or to rent one at the other end? Are the concerns about rental boosters just as valid as with harnessed seats? I suppose another alternative would be to bring a low back booster packed in luggage or even one of those inflatable ones. But then what if you were to end up in a car without headrests? Thoughts? 

#2 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'd just bring a bubblebum or literider.  You can just carry it on and stow it overhead or under the seat.  The other option is a ride safer travel vest.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Interesting question. If you're renting a car from an airport, check and see if they rent car seats as well, (I'm so sure they do, but best to double check). If that doesn't work then you can just bring yours and check it in with the rest of your luggage. Airlines are quite accepting with additional 'baby' baggage.

#4 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmama23 View Post

Interesting question. If you're renting a car from an airport, check and see if they rent car seats as well, (I'm so sure they do, but best to double check). If that doesn't work then you can just bring yours and check it in with the rest of your luggage. Airlines are quite accepting with additional 'baby' baggage.

No, don't do this.  NEVER rent a carseat, unless you trust every person at the car rental place, and every person who has ever used that seat with your child's life.   Its the same as buying a used carseat, you have no idea what its history is.   Plus rental companies seats are often missing parts, expired, dirty, damaged, stored incorrectly, bleached, etc. 

Just bring a booster with you, there are some that will fit in the overhead bin, or ones like the bublebum which pack really small.  Rent from one of the car companies that let you pick out a car from a row of cars, or if not, and you get one without headrests, then have them trade it for another car that does (we've traded cars before for various reasons at rental places - like the one car that had ripped seatbelts in the back, or the other one that smelled like something died in there)

Or you could get a RSTV, and then you don't have to worry about headrests, and it travels well.

#5 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

No, don't do this.  NEVER rent a carseat, unless you trust every person at the car rental place, and every person who has ever used that seat with your child's life.   Its the same as buying a used carseat, you have no idea what its history is.   Plus rental companies seats are often missing parts, expired, dirty, damaged, stored incorrectly, bleached, etc. 

Just bring a booster with you, there are some that will fit in the overhead bin, or ones like the bublebum which pack really small.  Rent from one of the car companies that let you pick out a car from a row of cars, or if not, and you get one without headrests, then have them trade it for another car that does (we've traded cars before for various reasons at rental places - like the one car that had ripped seatbelts in the back, or the other one that smelled like something died in there)

Or you could get a RSTV, and then you don't have to worry about headrests, and it travels well.

So is it really just as risky to rent a booster as a car seat? It seems like there are much less things to go wrong with a booster. I'm genuinely curious. 

Like I said, the question is theoretical at the moment but I like to think ahead. Unfortunately the RSTV and Bubblebum aren't available in Canada but maybe by the time we go anywhere they will be. 

#6 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 AM

The advantage to a booster is that it's easier to buy and replace than a car seat. 

If your child is old enough for a booster and you don't want to take it with you, and you can't borrow at your destination, consider this. 

Use alternate transport to your hotel and rent the car the next day (not at the airport). Usually, you're tired the first day and don't want to go anywhere so save on the rental. Get the rental the next day and one parent pop out and buy a booster from a local store. Just give it to the rental car company when you leave. 

#7 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If the plastic in the booster is damaged or degrading in any way it may not keep the belt properly positoned in an accident and it may not absorb the force with it's false hips, which could cause the seatbelt to injur your child.

Also, I dont know where you're going, but most places in the US charge $10/day up to a maximum of $60 for a booster rental (and they usually are lbb).  I can buy a harmony literider lbb for around $15 and a high back turbobooster for around $50. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

I check my carseats whenever I travel, but I have not gone international yet. I believe airlines must let your check your carseat for free, or you can valet check it perhaps.

#9 of 10 Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 AM

What country will you be travelling to?  I would think a lack of headrests would not be a problem across most of Europe.  We encounted odd things in Mexico (brand new van with no shoulder belts) and throughout the Caribbean.

We have this carseat for travel - http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Products/Travel/Car-Seats/Booster-Car-Seats/Details/2384-22256AHE-Go-Hybrid-Booster-Car-Seat

It packs into its own softsided case and it will fit inside a large suitcase.  I have carried it on (you can't use it on the plane) as well as checked it inside of a suitcase, surrounded by cushioning.  The bottom can be used alone as a booster and it comes with a strap to correctly position the seat belt.

We just returned from a trip and we rented a booster seat, HUGE mistake.  I rented from a reputable agency but what they provided to me was not acceptable, it was considerably smaller that any high back booster I have ever seen and our son spilled out of it.  It was $70 for the week.  I should have just brought one from home and donated it upon departure.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#10 of 10 Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be in the UK. I'm not worried about rental cars not having headrests but more about random friends and relatives. I'm also not sure that black cabs have headrests. Still, it's probably worth risking taking the lbb and working around it. It's just weird to think about now as DS is still securely harnessed in a nautilus. A lot of his friends already use lbb though. I hope the bubblebum comes to Canada by then. It sounds so cool. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page