Need car seat suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice. I need to replace two Britax Decathalons, they expire soon. The children sitting in them are 4.5 years old (52 lbs,39 in) and 2 years (25 lbs, 32in). The 4.5 year old has not outgrown the Decathalon in height. There is a new baby coming in late August, I have two older children in Graco Turbo Boosters (one backless). I have a 2001 Honda Oddessy and a 2001 Hyundai Elantra Station Wagon.

The Britax seats were great, installed well in every position. The younger children have other seats I keep in the station wagon. The 4.5 year old rides in a Graco Nautilus, the 2 year old in a Recaro ProRide. I don't like the ProRide very much, it is hard to get a good recline RF and it's a challenge to get the 2 year old in and out of the seat RF. I really like the Nautilus, and I would consider replacing the 4.5 year old's seat with another, except it does not install well in the van. The 'stem' of the buckle is too long, so I can't get it much tighter. This is the case in every seating position except the 3rd row middle (I haven't tried it there). I'd prefer to keep the two youngest children in the middle row, it's easier for me, and I will travel most frequently with the two youngest (either in the van, or the station wagon). I also need to fit all 5 kids in the van, just something to keep in mind.

I am hesitant to order Dionos. I've heard they can be difficult to install in some vehicles and I do not have latch (I do have tether in all seating positions in the van).

Should I just order the Dionos? Or is there another solution? I've done childcare and put RF children in the 3rd row through the back of the van. I'm not totally opposed, but if I don't have an older child with me to sit with them, I feel like I would be stopping pretty frequently. My 2 year old isn't happy in the car.

The new baby will be in a Chicco KeyFit 30, though I hope I can pass down a seat to him/her when he outgrows the bucket and move the (then) 5.5 year old to a booster.

Any advice? Suggestions?

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#2 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If you can't get a good install on the nautilus in your van, you won't with the radian.  The belt path is even lower.  Have you looked into a maestro for your 4.5 yo?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

The Maestro has a 50# limit so it's not an option for the 4yo.  Its cousins, the SecureKid300 and SecureKid400, would be worth looking at, though.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Darn, I was hoping there was a chance the Radian would work. The Britax Frontier seems similar, I think the belt path will be too low. I'm considering a boulevard for the 2 year old, or a marathon?

#5 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM

How different is a 2004 odyssey from a 2001?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=166352&highlight=2001+odyssey#post166352

Or a 2000?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1490534&highlight=odyssey#post1490534

2002?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1209147&highlight=odyssey#post1209147

I wouldn't give up on the Diono... perhaps order it from a store that offers free return shipping (like Amazon)?

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#6 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oh...that is good news! I don't think the Odysseys are very different at all - though I don't know for sure. I do know that my 2001 looks an awful lot like the 2010. I'd imagine it is very similar to the 2000 or 2002.

Is it safe to twist the buckle stalk? I see a few people did that. How many twists is acceptable?

#7 of 10 Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Three full twists (1080 degrees) of the female end.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#8 of 10 Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM

I almost always have to twist down the buckle stalks to get reasonable installs on those low belt paths like the Radian's. Three full, 360 degree each, twists is the rule and is often a great fix!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#9 of 10 Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

The Maestro has a 50# limit so it's not an option for the 4yo.  Its cousins, the SecureKid300 and SecureKid400, would be worth looking at, though.

Thank you!  I missed the weight in the OP.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#10 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Three full twists was more than I was expecting! Good to know though! I went to BRU and tried the Britax Frontier, I was able to get a really nice install so I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon (way cheaper than BRU). I set up seats for the 3 older kids in the 3rd row (tested with the Nautilus and two boosters). I asked them if they were too squished, or cramped, if they could ride like that all the time - they said it was fine! I ordered a Marathon for the 2 year old. I'm very excited for the new seats to arrive!!

Thanks so much for the information! Car-seats.org was a great help too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page