Short car seat help, and possibly two rear-facing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Jeep Wrangler, a 19-month old, and am due in September with our second. I have a Combi Coccoro in my car since there's very little room between the backseat and the driver's seat, and it fits rear-facing just fine, though I don't know if I could fit something much longer than that. My husband has a Radian in his (roomier) car. For the new baby, we're trying to figure out what to do - We didn't have infant seats with my first child (those 2 convertibles are all we've owned), and don't want them with this one, but I'm not sure what to get. My son will be 2 years 2 months when the new baby arrives. We could get another Coccoro, but it's a pain to get properly installed. I'm never sure I've installed it right when I need to take it out and put it back, always make my husband check, and I'm still nervous about it half the time. More importantly, my son's going to outgrow it in a year or so (it's rated up to 40 lbs) and money is very, very tight. I'm wondering if I should get something like the Graco Nautilus that he'll be able to use for the rest of his car seat life and go ahead and switch him to FFing. He's almost too tall for rear-facing as it is, so it may be a moot point (the switch) when the baby arrives anyway...but I'm not sure if the bulk of the Nautilus will fit in my car. Lastly, I'd LOVE to just get one more car seat that my husband and I can trade from car to car to save us some money, but I don't want to worry about the installation every time. Thoughts? Really short car seat recommendations that are easier to install than the Cocorro? I have Latch in the seats, but no upper tether - there is a lower tether I've been able to use when RFing, but I don't think I can use it when front-facing.

ETA: Forgot about 2 rear-facing question. We have Radian in the center of the backseat in husband's car because it won't fit rear-facing anywhere else. My son can still fit RFing just peachy in husband's car, so I'd like to leave him RFing as long as possible, but then where does new baby go? I'd rather have the younger in the center and the older near the door for safety reasons, but as I said, we can't fit the Radian (or anything of similar size) RFing behind the seats. So we're back to either new baby RFing in the center in the Radian in DH's car and DS FFing in whatever new seat we buy, or both kids RFing in DH's car because we buy a new smaller seat for new baby, but new baby near door and toddler in center. Which do you think is safer?

User Tag List