Help keeping up with multiple medications - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As a frazzled mother of a special needs child, one of the biggest hassles is dealing with all the medications. Keeping up with what new pills he's on, their dosage, their timing, not to mention possible side effects and interactions, its just too much! I worry that I'm going to mess it up, or worse, that my doctor who prescribed the medication might have gotten something wrong or forgot to tell me something. Please tell me there is some kind of app or site that can help with this!

#2 of 2 Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am not a mother of a special needs child, but I can tell you how I organized myself as a nursing student to keep track of when my patients needed medications!  Mabye it will help a bit.

First off, look for a medication guide book so that you can look up information about each of the medications.  Something like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Mosbys-Drug-Guide-Nurses-Update/dp/0323081045 Avoid the internet obviously unless its the actual manufacturer's website.  They often have the drug information available. Also speak to your pharmacist.  They often have medication information that they can print off for you.  Just store it in a binder or folder for easy reading.  Your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor should be willing to speak to you about the medications, especially when a new one is prescribed.  Just ask!  I know here in Ontario, if you're on more than 3 medications you are able to speak to a pharmacist for free to review them and answer questions.  Once you have the information handy, it's easy to look it up again.  No need to memorize everything!

Next would be to make yourself a schedule for the medications so that you can keep track of medications, their dosages, and the frequency.  Something as simple as this for example: Monday: 8:00am Medication #1, 1 tablet, Medication #2, 5mL  12:00pm: Medication #1, 1 tablet, Medication #3, 2 tablets.  Organize it table format, a list, or a spreadsheet.  Whatever works for you.  You can even add a chart where you can check off the medication when you've given it if you need a way to track.  There are also options such as time of day pill containers that you can put them into (for example: http://www.forgettingthepill.com/categories/pill-organizers )

Another option would be to speak to your pharmacy about having the medication dispensed in an organized blister pack by time of day.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page