car seat myride or roundabout- height/weight included - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

okay, I am looking for a new seat for my 3 year old.  I am thinking probably britax roundabout 55 or graco my ride 65. I can get both for about $150.00.

My 3 year old is 36.4 inches tall, 31 lbs and her torso (butt to shoulder) is 14 inches.

she is right about the same as her sisters have been they are 6 years old and 45 inches tall maybe 43 lbs and 9 years old and 51 inches tall and 60 lbs.

so according to britax's website my 6 year old would still fit height wise in the roundabout.  Graco doesn't list the height for it's myride on their website.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#2 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Is she still rear-facing?  If so, I'd recommend a different seat to keep her RF longer.  Both the seats you mentioned have relatively short shells, so older RF kids outgrow them sooner than many other seats.

If she's not RF, I'd skip the convertible all together.  There's no reason to pay for a RF/FF seat when you'll only use the FF option.  A good FF seat around that price is the Graco Nautilus.  It will last much longer than either the Britax or the My Ride because the harness height is taller.  

The height limits and weight limits car seat makers state are usually pretty silly.  Some kids are all legs and will fit in a seat longer than a long-torsoed kid who is shorter overall than them.  The hard and fast rule is that a seat is outgrown FF when any of the following is true: the shoulders are above the top harness slot.  the tops of the ears are above the shell.  the weight limit for the seat is exceeded.  That's it.

alegna likes this.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 AM

I would not recommend either of those seats to be bought new for a 3 year old. Yes, she'll still fit, and could for a few years, or you could buy one that will last much longer. If she is rear-facing my first thought would be a Radian. if she is forward-facing, you don't need a convertible, you need a combination that will turn into a booster. Like the Evenflo Maestro or the Graco Nautilus/Argo. Both of those can be found for $150 or under (the Maestro is way under, like $70).

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

She is rear facing, and I already bought the graco...of course very soon I will. Have a newborn who will need a new seat at about 6 months so we will be buying a new seat tgen. I will look into the seats mentioned.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#5 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post

She is rear facing, and I already bought the graco...of course very soon I will. Have a newborn who will need a new seat at about 6 months so we will be buying a new seat tgen. I will look into the seats mentioned.

The great thing is that you can totally pass the Graco down to the newest little one if that makes more sense in six months (and get a new seat for your 3 year old instead).  Congrats on the new little one!

#6 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

The great thing is that you can totally pass the Graco down to the newest little one if that makes more sense in six months (and get a new seat for your 3 year old instead).  Congrats on the new little one!

That's what I was thinking. My 3 year old should be fine with it as long as I get her another pink seat. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page