Do you use a mirror with your ERF toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just flipped my girl back around to RF again last night after some necessary husband convincing.  Now I am wondering if I should dig out the mirror I used when she was littler, or if none of you think it is really necessary at this age.  She might like to talk to herself and see more with it there.  Is there any reason not to use it? Thoughts?

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Everything I've read says that theoretically they are not safe and should not be used.  I have not used one with my kids.  I think I *would* consider it if it would help a situation with an unhappy child, but I wouldn't use one automatically.  

#3 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Do you know why they are considered unsafe?

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#4 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM

They are considered unsafe since anything that  is in a car can become a projectile in an accident. I've heard the phrase "If you wouldn't throw it at your babies face, don't have it in your car."   I don't know the math but even a 1lb object can have some ridiculous force in an accident. I bet a CPST could explain it better.

That said, I personally have a tethered mirror for my rear facing kids.  It's a risk i wouldn't advise to anyone else but I'm ok with my choice.

#5 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM

We use a tethered mirror for long trips. It's soft, fairly pliable, and has plush sides and weighs far less than 1 lb so I'm OK with it. I don't think it's quite as necessary now that DD is verbal and can tell us what she wants but I still like to be able to glance back if she's eating in the van as I have a probably irrational fear of her choking and me not noticing because I can't see her. 

I figure if I have a water bottle in the van with me it's far more dangerous so the mirro is not something I worry about.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

My understanding of the safety concern (assuming the mirror is light/padded) is that it creates a distraction to the driver and can obstruct their views of blind spots.

I personally like having a mirror so I can see if they're awake or asleep, how they look in colour (e.g. not turning blue!) and, for a toddler, if their belt is fastened properly (ie. they're not playing with the buckle, sliding it down, etc.).  I don't spend long looking at them - just a quick glance, similar to what I do anyway to keep track of what vehicles are behind me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page