Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll be buying a new seat soon for my 11 month old.  I'm debating three seats:

Evenflo Triumph 65

Britax Roundabout

Graco My Ride

I'm leaning toward the Triumph as it has many features I like at a good price.  The one thing I don't like is the twist knob to adjust the straps is in the front and won't be easy to use when she is rear facing.

She's in a Graco SnugRide now and I've liked the seat fine.  My only quibble with it is the straps get twisted.  I'm afraid the My Ride might have the same issue.  I've heard the Britax straps never get twisted?  I also like the dual LATCH system on the Britax.

I drive a full size pick up now (a GMC Sierra) so room isn't an issue.  I'll be getting another vehicle when my lease is up this fall...most likely a GMC Acadia and the seat will be on a captains chair then. 

Any input on these seats?  Price is somewhat of an issue, I'd like to stay under $200 and all these qualify.  Thanks!

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM

What size is your 11 month old and do you have any expectations on how she will grow based on your two older ones? (ie long and thin, shorter...)

Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Of the three, I would rule out the Roundabout.  It will last less time rear facing, less time forward facing, and has less leg room for a rear facing toddler.    If you like 'dual LATCH' the My Ride has it :-)  

CPST
Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

She has a longer torso, but otherwise, I'd guess she will grow at the average rate.  She's 23lbs now and will be a year in two weeks.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 PM

For a longer torsoed child, of your choices the Evenflo Triumph 65 is your best bet :-) 

CPST
Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

The dimensions on the Graco show it being taller than the Evenflo one.  Doesn't that mean it will last longer for a taller child?

What about the knob to tighten that is on the front of the Triumph?  How often do those need to be adjusted?  I'd have to unbuckle the seat to access it because it's in front.  Thanks for you help...it's been a while since I've had to buy these seats! wink1.gif

Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM

Not sure where you got the dimensions?  The Evenflo Triumph 65 is taller than the My Ride by about 1/2"-3/4" of or so.    For an older rear facing toddler that could be six months or more of growth. :-)

That knob is REALLY vehicle specific.  Try the seat in your car.  For some cars, the knob gets completely buried by the vehicle seatback making it really hard to access.  For other cars, the knob is easily turnable rear facing.  Sometimes moving the seat to a different position (say, outboard to middle) makes it better too.  

The knob's job is to tighten/loosen the harness.  If you don't tighten/loosen every time you put baby in or out, it's not such a big deal. 

CPST
Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11267684

My Ride ^

The Triumph dimensions say 28.5 x 22 x 20 inches

My Ride says 31.6 x 20 x 19 inches

The BRU store near me doesn't even stock the Triumph!  I have to buy the seat online.  I probably will be adjusting the straps, we're in Michigan...lots of weather changes, so the baby is in a coat one day, not the next..I wish I could try it in my truck to see for sure.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Those are outer dimensions, they have nothing to do with internal dimensions, which is what fits the kid ;-) 

What do you mean by 'in a coat'?   The baby should not be wearing anything heavier than a layer of polar fleece over street clothes.  No winter jackets, no buntings, no coats with two layers. 

CPST
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Here is the spreadsheet with the measurements of different convertable carseats:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdFZ0c0pkbkRlV1hfeklSWmpZY0kweEE&hl=en#gid=0

As Maedze mentioned, the outer measurements don't matter--- it's the inside ones that count.  A seat that is taller with higher strap heights will last longer than one with lower strap heights (the straps need to go below the shoulders rear facing, above the shoulders forward facing).

The chart above shows the top harness height of the Triumph 65 as 16.5-17" and the top harness height of the My Ride being 16.5."  For the top of the seat measurment the Triumph 65 is 23.5" and the My Ride is 24.5".  Some carseats have a larger/taller base which ads to the overall dimensions but doesn't actually add any extra space for the child.  From what I know, I think the strap height is often the first thing outgrown, so a higher strap height (given that you don't have a newborn) is advantageous.  Most important, though, is to get a good install. If you can try the seat out in your car (either at a store or borrow a friends) that would be best!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Hmmm, I don't know that that's right, either.  harness height sounds right, but the interior of the Evenflo Triumph 65 is quite a bit taller than the My Ride 65, not the other way around. 

CPST
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

FWIW, I don't have issues with the straps twisting on my MyRide.  :)

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, just a one layer fleece coat. smile.gif

My dd is 28.5". Her torso is long'ish, but my older kids aren't tall at all, actually are on the shorter end among their peers.

Wish I could try the seat first!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Dahlia, thanks smile.gif how do you like the seat? I've been happy with the Snug Ride. My dd is just now getting too big for it, glad it's lasted almost a year! She hates the car though greensad.gif I'm hoping the bigger seat might help.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

Hmmm, I don't know that that's right, either.  harness height sounds right, but the interior of the Evenflo Triumph 65 is quite a bit taller than the My Ride 65, not the other way around. 

The bowl shape of the Triumph makes it hard to get a good measurement, I think -- I agree that it does "fit" noticeably taller than the MyRide.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I LOVE the myride.  But I have only used it rfing (my daughter is almost 3).  :)  The cupholders are awesome for sippy cups and snacks!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

User Tag List