Carseat recs for large 3.5 year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My very big 3.5 year old has outgrown the Cosco Scenara we use in our second car. She's also nearing the height limit, forward-facing, on her Britax Marathon. (We turned her a few months ago after realizing that she was several pounds over the rear-facing limit. Oops!) Thoughts on where we should go from here? To be perfectly honest, I don't even know what's "supposed" to happen next. One final thought- we are currently TTCing number two, so I'm open to something that DD can use for a few years, that could then be used for the new baby. And, DD is very tall- close to 40 inches.

Thanks!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#2 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

We move to a Graco Nautilus when our daughter started to get too tall for her Marathon.  I can keep her harnessed for a bit longer, and then it transforms into a high back booster and a backless booster after that.  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would get something like a Graco Argos or an Evenflo Maestro for her.  They are forward-facing only, but your next LO can use the Scenera and Marathon (after infant seat) for RF until they expire. 

How much does she weigh?

DD 2/08
#4 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM

How tall is she?  I just ask because the stated top heights of the Scenara and the Marathon are a couple inches apart so I'm surprised that she is outgrowing them so close to the same time. 

You can find measurements here:

http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

With a larger child, you'll be looking for both a high harnessed weight (how much does your DD weigh) and high top slots for the harnessed seat.  Do you have any space issues in either car?  Do you want a seat that you can easily fly with or is that not an issue?  Do you want one or two new seats (will you be moving the seat from car to car often)?

You will probably want to get a combination seat that goes from a 5-point harness to a belt-positioning booster.  You have lots of options!  Unless you specifically want to hand it down to your 2nd child (congrats, btw) you don't need to get a convertible car seat (one that goes both forward and rear facing).

#5 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. She's about 42 inches and weighs 39 pounds. She's outgrowing the Scenera by weight, though as I look at that chart, also by height. According to that chart, she's got a ways to go in her Britax on the height, but I CANNOT IMAGINE her adding seven inches and still fitting in it properly. I do think it'll fit her for another year, and then hopefully we'll have a baby to put in it.

What do y'all think of one of the Radians as an option? I want something very safe, and preferably with a long shelf life so it can be used for number two. Pros? Cons?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#6 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM

At 42", she probably outgrew the Scenera a long time ago.  It was outgrown when her shoulders went over the top slots.  Since the top slots are about 2" lower than they are on the Marathon, she doesn't fit anymore.  

The 49" Britax gives as a forward facing max is just a overstated projection, nothing more.  49" children do not fit in that seat.  It is outgrown when the shoulders go over the top slots.  

The Radian would be a good choice :-)  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post

Thanks, everyone. She's about 42 inches and weighs 39 pounds. She's outgrowing the Scenera by weight, though as I look at that chart, also by height. According to that chart, she's got a ways to go in her Britax on the height, but I CANNOT IMAGINE her adding seven inches and still fitting in it properly. I do think it'll fit her for another year, and then hopefully we'll have a baby to put in it.

What do y'all think of one of the Radians as an option? I want something very safe, and preferably with a long shelf life so it can be used for number two. Pros? Cons?

alegna likes this.

CPST
#7 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM

We moved onto the Britax Frontier after the Marathon and have been really happy!  We have 2 of them now, one harnessed for my 4.5 year old and one in belt-positioning booster mode for my older son.

ETA:  It does have a nice long shelf life and is rock solid, but you can't use it rear-facing so it wouldn't work to hand-me-down during the rear-facing stage.  But it's incredible all the same.  As for the Radians, I have known many moms who've been very, very happy with them!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page