Please help me decide where to put the carseats in our minivan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't decide what would be the best configuration once this new bub makes his/her way into the world in a few weeks! 

I have 2 teens, a 3.5yo & this new one.  The captains chairs/middle row have latch, the 3rd row does not.  My 3.5yo is currently rearfacing in the passenger side middle row in a Safety 1st comfort air.  The new babe will be in Britax roundabout.  I am ok with turning him forward facing if I need to put him in the 3rd row, but I love that this seat has a rear facing weight limit of 40--he is only 33lbs.  I wasn't planning on turning him, but I am *ok* with it.

It will mostly be just the littles & my 13yo traveling with me.  My main concern is trying to get to 3rd row if both babies are in the middle--which is easiest for me, but maybe not the best plan. 

Thank you for the help:)

#2 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 AM

What kind of van do you have? Can the middle row captain seats go beside each other? 

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#3 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

It is an 03 grand voyager, and the seats don't slide:(
#4 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM

First, I don't think the Roundabout is a good bet for a newborn unless you have remarkably big newborns.  Can you borrow an infant seat (or a convertible with lower bottle slots) for the first few months?

Could you put the 3.5 year old in the back rear facing?  How often are you all in the van versus just you and the littlest or you and *one* teen?  If just one teen they *could* sit in the front.  Or have you tried having them get into the back with both car seats installed?

#5 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No sure about your seats, but if you have fold n go seats, my dream minivan setup is to put the seat behind the driver down(away) so you can pile everyone in and shut the door, I live with cold winters. This is also nice when you have lots of wandering little ones.
So infant in middle behind passenger. Toddler passenger side back and teen in back seat.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM

I have a mini-van, but I think my seat layout is different than yours. I have a 20m in a car-seat and a 8yo in a booster and a 10yo.

My first choice would be:

Baby in the passenger side of the 2nd row and the 3yo (face forward) in the drivers side of the 2nd row. The older kids should be able to get past the 3yo car seat or even climb through the back door (our kids do it sometimes).

Second choice would be:

Baby in the passenger side of the 2nd row and the 3yo (face forward) on the passenger side in the 3rd row. Older kids each sit next to a younger one.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I guess if I turned ds ff, there would be room to get around him:)  That might work!

#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 AM

What Britax Roundabout is it?  The brand new ones, or one of the originals?  If it's one of the originals, you cannot use it for a newborn.  

Also, what make and model of van?  You do not want to put a forward facing chid in the third row unless he's tether anchored, and most vans do not have a tether anchor in the passenger side third row. 

It would be my preference to leave the three year old rear facing presuming he still fits.    So...what van and which roundabout?

CPST
#9 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Scratch the roundabout, it will be an infant seat --I thought it was the newer model, but it is not.  Off to shop--any suggestions??  My van is an 03 grand voyager.  I can't move the middle seats together, and no tether anchor in the third row. 

#10 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmoto2 View Post

Scratch the roundabout, it will be an infant seat --I thought it was the newer model, but it is not.  Off to shop--any suggestions??  My van is an 03 grand voyager.  I can't move the middle seats together, and no tether anchor in the third row. 

If you have an infant seat, you can push the baby's chair forward for the teens to climb in the back, then slide it back before you click in the bucket.  By the time baby outgrows bucket and needs a rear facing convertible, the 3 year old would like be four and I'd have no problem switching him forward facing in his captain's chair. 

CPST
#11 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Yeah if you are using an infant bucket then I would put the 3 year old RF on drivers side in second row, baby base with bucket on passenger side 2nd row and 13 year old in the back. Then I would have the 3 year old climb in and get into his seat, 13 year old climb in on passenger side and help 3 year old in his seat if he needs it :) then click bucket into the base. By the time the baby outgrows the bucket you could turn the 3 year old around forward facing and the 13 year old should be able to get by his seat. I can climb past my forward facing Radian or Nautilus to get to the third row now at 9 mons pregnant.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page