What is a good booster seat for a 3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My church has been doing lots of activities, such as swimming trips, bowling, and fishing at a local creek.  The kids love it, except Brianna and two other kids at church.  Since I don't have a booster seat for Bri, she hasn't been able to go on any of these trips, because she can't go in Pastor K's SUV without one.  Brianna's convertible car seat is stored in my parents car and is very bulky to carry around while trying to push a wheelchair with Brianna on my lap.

I was wondering if anyone knew of some good booster seats for cars that were easy to transport and reasonably priced.  I want to get one next Friday for her, but want some suggestions first.  Thanks!

goorganic.jpggd.giffambedsingle1.giflearning.gifselectivevax.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A booster seat is not a safe choice for a 3yo.  I would recommend a ride safer travel vest for your situation, or install her regular harnessed car seat.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 5 Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Not sure on the minimum weight/age for it, but we use a ride safer travel vest, which holds a seatbelt in the right places on a child's shoulder and lap, but doesn't do the five-point harness thing a car seat does. I think once they can legally use a booster they can legally use the vest.

It's fantastic for travel or sporadic use because it's light and simple. IMO, it's expensive, but it does last a very long time. Ours is being used for the second child, the first having outgrown it. Maybe someone else can say if it's acceptable to buy a vest used; I'm not sure. My kids prefer car seats/boosters when they have the choice, because the vest puts them lower down and it's harder to see out the windows, but like I said, for travel, it's much better than lugging around a big seat.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#4 of 5 Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM

She may have already outgrown it but the scenera is a reasonably priced and very light weight harnessed seat. I've also heard that the Maestro is a good travel seat. I know you asked about boosters but I don't think that's an appropriate choice for a 3 year old. The scenera would be easier to carry than a high back booster though, fwiw. 

I don't know your situation, but it sounds like a would be great if the church could store a couple of spare seats for the pastor to use in these kind of situations. Would that be a possibility? 

#5 of 5 Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 PM

She is way too young for a booster. She needs a harnessed car seat. A ride safer travel vest might work in a pinch, but it's expensive and it probably makes more sense to leave a car seat at the church for her. Knowing her height and weight would help as far as advising which seat would be most economical. If she's small enough for the Scenera, it's only $39 at Walmart. If she's too big for the Scenera (or doesn't have sufficient growing room in it) I'd go for either the Guide 65 Sport ($79, Walmart) or the Evenflo Maestro (somewhere around $70-$80 usually). 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page