Can't use LATCH after 48 pounds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just installed a Graco Argos this weekend, and as DH was reading the manual he noticed that it said that the seat cannot be installed using LATCH once the child is beyond 48 pounds.  Neither one of us recall seeing that on any other seat, and the seat manual referred us to our car's manual, but there was nothing in there about a limit on LATCH installations.

Do any of you wise mamas know anything about this?  We've never had to install a car seat without LATCH....

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#2 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

All car seats have a latch weight limit. It is nothing new.  If your child is over 48lbs you just install with the seatbelt.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

What vehicle do you drive?  Most vehicles and most carseats have LATCH limits, and it's best practice to go with the most conservative (lowest) limit.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 6 Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 PM

I just started reading about this today!  I found info on Consumer Reports (though not the whole article because I don't have a membership so can't access the whole thing) that said that car manufacturers give a weight limit, while carseat manufacturers say to install via LATCH at all times, regardless of weight.  Consumer Reports stated that even if the LATCH system fails in an accident, it will still provide some resistance, which is ultimately safer for your child.  They recommend using LATCH regardless of weight if only so the seat itself does not become a projectile when the child is not in it.  That made sense to me!  We are in search of the *perfect* booster for an almost 7 y.o. who has outgrown his all-in-one seat that he's used since he was 4 mos old, so I compared the "Best Bet" list from IIHS (http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/best_bets.aspx) with a list of boosters that use LATCH, and came up with the Britax Parkway SGL as the most affordable and safest one.  We'll be purchasing it tomorrow.  

#5 of 6 Old 06-10-2012, 05:20 AM

Oh my, I'm not sure if the fault is in the Consumer Reports article, or if perhaps you didn't understand what you were reading, but pretty much none of this is correct.  (As an aside, Consumer Reports should never be trusted for information about car seats.  They invariably are wrong.)

1.  Car seat manufacturers absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND always installing with LATCH regardless of the weight of the child.  There are clear LATCH limits for EVERY child restraint out there.  There are also LATCH limits for every vehicle.   ALWAYS defer to the more conservative limit.  

2.  You're confusing boosters and harnessed seats.   SOME boosters allow you to use lower anchors to keep the seat from becoming a projectile.  Many do not have the option.   When the seat is being used as a booster, LATCH limits don't come into play because the LATCH is only restraining the seat, not the child.  The seatbelt restrains the child.  

3.   Using LATCH in booster mode is not 'safer'.

4.  There is no such thing as the 'safest' booster, as there is no legitimate source of rankings. 

5.  The Parkway SGL is a good booster, provided it fits YOUR child well.  You need to check the seatbelt fit when you get it to make sure.  THis can change from car to car, so keep that in mind. 

6.  It's a moot point, but the All in One you had is NOT a good or safe booster.  It does not position the belt correctly and should never be used as a booster.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlynpeterson View Post

I just started reading about this today!  I found info on Consumer Reports (though not the whole article because I don't have a membership so can't access the whole thing) that said that car manufacturers give a weight limit, while carseat manufacturers say to install via LATCH at all times, regardless of weight.  Consumer Reports stated that even if the LATCH system fails in an accident, it will still provide some resistance, which is ultimately safer for your child.  They recommend using LATCH regardless of weight if only so the seat itself does not become a projectile when the child is not in it.  That made sense to me!  We are in search of the *perfect* booster for an almost 7 y.o. who has outgrown his all-in-one seat that he's used since he was 4 mos old, so I compared the "Best Bet" list from IIHS (http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/best_bets.aspx) with a list of boosters that use LATCH, and came up with the Britax Parkway SGL as the most affordable and safest one.  We'll be purchasing it tomorrow.  

CPST
#6 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM

I never used the Latch system.  The seatbelts are what restrain adults, and so I felt a lot safer using those. Plus I could never get a good enough fit with the Latch system.  The numbers I saw for the weight limit were around 40lbs or so, but it was not clear whether that included the seat.  

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page