What is the right age/height/weight for a low back booster seat??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
vermontgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

 

My very large almost six year old is in a high back booster seat, and I am just wondering for curiosity sake when a child typically moves on to a low back seat.

 

Thanks!


Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

vermontgirl is offline  
#2 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Backless boosters are good for older kids (think 8 plus) who have outgrown the back on their high backs but still need a boost for the belt to fit correctly.  

 

I would not put a 5/6 year old in a  backless full time.   One of the things a back does is help encourage younger children to sit correctly under the shoulder belt.  

 

What booster is your child currently in?   Do you have the back rest adjusted high enough that the shoulder belt guide comes from over his shoulder?  


CPST
Maedze is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

 

I would not put a 5/6 year old in a  backless full time.   One of the things a back does is help encourage younger children to sit correctly under the shoulder belt.  

 

 

Is there a safety reason to use a high back booster over a low back?  In one of our cars, the kids actually preferred the fit and feel of the seat/belt without the back.


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#4 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's a European study that suggests that a good high back booster improves safety by 70% compared to backless boosters in side impact crashes.   Comparatively, there was a CHOP study that didn't show a difference in real-life crashes BUT that study failed to control for a LOT of confounds, like proper use and whether the boosters provided good belt fit.  

 

Of course the ultimate goal of the booster is a correct belt fit but I do recommend using the high back for children who still fit in it, due to the potential head protection in side impact crashes, the reminder to sit correctly, and the added support for napping. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

 

Is there a safety reason to use a high back booster over a low back?  In one of our cars, the kids actually preferred the fit and feel of the seat/belt without the back.


CPST
Maedze is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
vermontgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

Backless boosters are good for older kids (think 8 plus) who have outgrown the back on their high backs but still need a boost for the belt to fit correctly.  

 

I would not put a 5/6 year old in a  backless full time.   One of the things a back does is help encourage younger children to sit correctly under the shoulder belt.  

 

What booster is your child currently in?   Do you have the back rest adjusted high enough that the shoulder belt guide comes from over his shoulder?  

He is in the  Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster Car Seat. I am pretty sure that it is positioned properly. How do I know for sure?

 

Is it safe for him to be in a low back seat occasionally if he is in another persons car?


Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

vermontgirl is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post

He is in the  Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster Car Seat. I am pretty sure that it is positioned properly. How do I know for sure?

 

Is it safe for him to be in a low back seat occasionally if he is in another persons car?

 

So you're using it as a booster, not as a harnessed seat, correct?    Did you remove the screw from the back?  The head rest should be adjusted high enough that the red shoulder belt guide comes from above his shoulder.   

 

And yes, backless for occasional use/carpooling is not a bad idea.  


CPST
Maedze is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM
 
One_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I don't remember how old my dd was when the high back booster was too small but I think it was around the time she was six or so.  My dd was in the 75th percentile for height so not all kids that age do grow out that early, it really depends on height not age.  The guideline is that you need to use the low back when the tops of your child's ears are above the high back shell.  I believe this guideline is because of the cushioning your head needs from a headrest in the event of a crash, there is also a guideline for adult headrests but I forget what it is.  If your seatbelt doesn't fit properly with just the low back when this happens then you need to look into getting a taller high back booster seat because it is also not safe to be in a seatbelt that doesn't fit properly.

One_Girl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off