Question about three in a row in a Prius - Mothering Forums
Family Safety > Question about three in a row in a Prius
JudiAU's Avatar JudiAU 01:43 PM 06-21-2012

I am pregnant with our third and we probably need to buy a new car. But before I do I wanted to explore other options for what is now our "big family car."

DS is five and in a Graco Nautilus. Big kid, more than 52 pounds and *just* turned 5 and tall too.

DD turns 3 next year is in a rear-facing Radian. She is "normal" sized.

I know I can put three Radians back there but I doubt DS would be happy about what would feel like a "smaller" car seat. Would anything else fit?

At what point can DD turn forward facing? Do I just wait until she hits the Radian limits for maximum safety. She doesn't appear to mind.

Maedze's Avatar Maedze 03:43 PM 06-21-2012

Ideally, kids need to be rear facing for 3-4 years.  4 is better, and since she's average she should fit in the Radian that way until 4, so that's what I'd recommend.   

Unfortunately, even if DS isn't 'happy' about a smaller car seat, you may be limited by what you can actually fit back there.   Try him in the Radian, see if he fits.  If his ears are very close to the top of the shell, he may not fit long enough to make it worth it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

I am pregnant with our third and we probably need to buy a new car. But before I do I wanted to explore other options for what is now our "big family car."

DS is five and in a Graco Nautilus. Big kid, more than 52 pounds and *just* turned 5 and tall too.

DD turns 3 next year is in a rear-facing Radian. She is "normal" sized.

I know I can put three Radians back there but I doubt DS would be happy about what would feel like a "smaller" car seat. Would anything else fit?

At what point can DD turn forward facing? Do I just wait until she hits the Radian limits for maximum safety. She doesn't appear to mind.

TiredX2's Avatar TiredX2 05:43 PM 06-21-2012

It sounds like you will end up with a minimum of two Radians no matter what.  You could always buy another one (or borrow for the afternoon from a friend) and try and see if you can puzzle two rear-facing Radians and a Nautilus together.  The Priuses I have been in are more spacious than some other 5 passenger cars so it seems like you *should* be able to fit three harnessed seats in the back.  The real trouble will come when you need to go to a booster, but that could be several more years.

Good luck!

Up