LifeJacket for lightweight 3.5 YO - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Group-

Our family is headed for a multinight/day stay on a houseboat anchored in one place surrounded by water.  I have a very busy curious boy who will be required to wear a lifejacket at all times onboard and off.  I'm looking for help in finding the right lifejacket for our situation.

DS is very petite, only about 28 pounds I believe.  We currently have a lifejacket for him like this http://www.boatinggearcenter.com/p-9148-stearns-child-youth-boating-vest.aspx but we tried it out yesterday and while DS ADORES the water and spends enormous amounts of time underwater (no float device) in the shallow end, he panics over his head and somehow manages to swallow huge amounts of water in this lifejacket.  NOT what I want should he fall (or jump) off the boat.  And considering we will be in the water where we cant touch, not a good option for relaxing in the water to stay cool in the 110 degree weather.

HELP!

Suggestions?  I need him to stay afloat without turning on his face in the lifejacket.  At the same time, since he is wearing it 24/7, I'd prefer something not so bulky.

Thanks!

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#2 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You need a life jacket that will keep him on his back if he falls overboard, which the one you purchased will not.  You need one with no padding on the back and the head support thing like this one: http://www.sell.com/29L519

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with pp, though a panicking child will probably swallow lots of water no matter what type of vest

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family is shopping for a sailboat and I've been investigating lifejackets lately. There is ONE child's life vest which seems to have unanimous endorsement from boating families, and it is the Mustang Lil' Legends. By weight, your child would still wear the infant size, but you might want to call them and ask whether the Child size would be better (30 - 50 lbs). If it would work properly, it would be more economical since he won't outgrow it for a while; and I'm also concerned that the infant size may be too short for him.

I found the best prices on Amazon.com and Overton's.com (about $43). It's certainly not the cheapest life vest you can get, but it has a great reputation and does a good job turning children onto their backs. It is a Type II floatation device; the one you posted is only a Type III, I think. Be sure to research the different types because they're appropriate for different kinds of situations. Type II and Type I life vests are kind of hard to find in infant and child sizes.

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page