Best Carseat for Subaru - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to get my son into a convertible carseat soon. I was going to get a Radian, but I've heard that they don't fit so great in a Subaru. I have a 2000 Outback. Thank you!!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 PM

We have a Britax Marathon and a Britax Boulevard in my Subaru Outback (04) and they both fit great--although neither fits in the middle seat with the other one next to it.

Our Boulevard, I believe, is the one we like better because it has the latch system. But I'm sure that depends on when you buy your carseat.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a marathon rear facing in the center seat of my outback and it fits fine. It's true that there is not a lot of room back there! You can't use latch in the center seat of mine, that may vary by year I guess but be sure to read your manual (mine is an 09). I do not think a diono would fit.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Seats with high bases, like the Classic Marathon or Evenflo Triumph65, tend to work well in Subarus.

[quote[Our Boulevard, I believe, is the one we like better because it has the latch system. But I'm sure that depends on when you buy your carseat.[/quote]

All seats made since 2002 have LATCH.  If the Marathon does not have LATCH, it is very dangerously expired (Britax seats have a six-year lifespan).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Hmm, nope, we bought our Marathon new in 2009, so I guess it must have latch. Why am I thinking it doesn't? Who knows--ignore that part, lol!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM

If you like the radian, would it work in the outback with the angle adjuster?  I know I could get mine installed in my 2001 outback with latch (not belt) rfing, but it took up too much room front to back - which would be less of a problem with the angle adjuster.

That being said, I have successfully installed a marathon and old evenflo triumph both rfing and ffing in the outback (the newer ETA would most likely work well, since the bases seem similar).   Further down the road when your child is old enough to ff, the nautilus works really well too.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 PM

While we're on the subject, I think I'm going to get a my ride, any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Love the seat.  Haven't used in in a subaru (we sold our Outback to get a van before dd was born).  I don't forsee any issues, though.  It's up on a base like the MA and ETA which shouldn't be a problem for the buckle stalks in the outback.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Everybody Iknow who has a my ride loves it!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 PM

We have a myride in our outback and it works well (RF, middle seat, 2 year old--we plan to rear face until we have a second child, hopefully when DS is just about 3).  However, it is a WIDE seat...I have been able to put another carseat next to it (a britax) to transport a friend's child (also a 2 year old, but FF, RF wouldn't have fit) and it is obvious that two myrides wouldn't fit next to each other...I don't think the myride would fit RF behind either driver or passenger seat either--it has a fairly significant recline to it.  

That said, I like the seat...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Oh my, I was coming to ask this very question.  Little Miss is looking like she might be too tall for her rear-facing near her year birthday, and I'm shopping for convertible car seats that will fit in the Subaru.  The back seat was suddenly so, so small after I gave birth... for more than one reason.

biglaugh.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 AM

Well I don't forsee any issues, though. It's up on a abject like the MA and ETA which shouldn't be a botheration for the catch stalks in the outback.

bunk beds

User Tag List