Basic Baby-proofing- give me quick ideas please- baby has all of a sudden become super mobile. I feel incompetent safety-wise. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

My daughter has started walking, crawls really fast and CLIMBS all over the place. She is almost 14months.

In the last two days she:

- fell off our bed- we co-sleep and she just fell in the middle of the night, on her had.

- broke a glass she got from my desk by climbing on the desk chair. 

- fell of the couch.

I  just need some quick ideas.I need to scan the house and think, what do  I do, how do I baby-proof?

I feel really unable to see obvious things, i just don't feel good at baby-proofing.

What did you do for safety when you were first taken by surprise by your very mobile toddler?

I am sure this was already discussed somewhere, but have no time to look...

Thanks!

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#2 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

And also she put her leg over the bathtub and fell into the bathtub also. i was right next to her and grabbed her, but I was shocked by how quick that was. i mean, she just took her first steps. She has never really climbed before...

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#3 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We put our mattress on the floor after our LO fell off the first time. We also put a gate on the bathroom door because that's where we kept the nappy buckets and kitty litter as well.

We put breakables/ dangerous things up high.

Things she could climb on we taught her how to climb safely, spotted her while she did it or redirected her depending on what it was.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I went for the approach of seeing what they got in to, then tacking that issue. For both my kids it was different things.

Cuboards: we had one or two which we left for them to explore, the rest got magnitic cuboard locks fitted. I found them so much better than the clip kind. It's worth buying an extra key and keeping it somewhere seperate.

Furniture: anchor anythign to the wall which might topple if climbed on. We haev a lot of IKEA stuff which comes with a tether, I think they sell them seperately too.

Sockets: most of our sockets are behing furniture so we didn't need to do anything else.

Stairs: we had a gate on our sitting room, meaning we could shut of the stairs easily. Then spent some time "playng" on the stairs teching the kids how to come down backwards. We did put the gaet at the top of the stairs when DD moed into her own room as we didn;t want her to take a wrong turn when she came into our room in the night.

Toilet: we kept the door closed, but as both started showing interest in using it around 18 months there was no point in a lock.

I remember when DD started crawling I had a basket on a high shelf where I would stick stuff she was suddenly able to reach and should not get hold of.

#5 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For the bed and couch, teach her how to get off them safely by sliding on her tummy feet first.  That will prevent a lot of falls.  For other things, case by case basis of what she gets into, other than obvious things like securing heavy furniture to wall, keeping medicines and sharp oject locked up, etc. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree, follow your child's destruction. Since you have a climber, you can't just put things out of reach. Nothing on counters might discourage climbing and hopefully she will move on, to something hopefully easier to deal with. This worked with my climber.
As for falling. It happens. Try to make the area around stuff like sofas and beds safe ie pushing coffee table away from sofa.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, it has overall been a better day.

She does know how to safely get off bed and couch, it is just that she lost balance as she was half asleep, or did not see. 

I am definitely going to "study" her interests.

If you have any tips with what to do with cables, please advise. Are cables dangerous?

How can one hide them, secure them?

Thank you!

#8 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 PM

What sort of cables and where are they? They can be a strangulation or electrocution risk. There are a variety of different devices depending on the specific situation.

#9 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Long extension cord that runs from electrical outlet to office desk. Cables that belong to bread-maker, steamer, phones, video monitors, lots of long floor lamp cables.

We live in a pretty old house, the electrical wiring is weird and so you have to use ext. cords a lot.

Also,we have a lot of floor lamps because there are no ceiling lights in two rooms (again, strange 1930s design...).

I guess I need to look for ways to make them attached to the floor?

#10 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 AM

For the extension cords maybe cable tacks. Or you can also get strips of cable track to secure and conceal cables . You can get covers for the conections too if you need to. And also covers for power boards if you have any of those within reach.

For appliances probably just cable ties to secure the cords in a coil which wont dangle. You can buy cord shorteners but it's probably not necessary.

Not sure about the floor lamps. Have you tried googling "securing floor lamps"?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page